Houzz Logo Print
amy_luskin

Longevity of the Milgard Ultra windows?

Amy L.
hace 8 años
Hi! It seems like your company is very familiar with the installation of Milgard Ultra fiberglass windows. We're currently thinking of using them for our new home, and we'd love to hear some pros/cons of the overall product. How have these windows performed for your clients over time? How is the cost comparison to other brands? Thanks so much!
Milgard Ultra Series Fiberglass Windows - January 2013 · Más información

Comentarios (7)

• PRO
    ClearChoice Windows and Doors Inc.
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

Hello Amy! I'm happy to answer your question. I have installed a bunch of these over the last few years. The windows hold up very well. They are well constructed, and carry a lifetime warranty. They are paintable, but one thing I can say is that sometimes we run into operational issues when we paint the interior of the ultra series horizontal sliders. They run such tight tolerances, that the paint can make them a little hard to operate. If you choose Ultra Series Woodclad, the paint or stain doesn't seem to interfere. Only on the Ultra without Woodclad interior. People I have installed them for love the windows.

They are remarkably versatile. For instance, I just installed a bunch of them in a mid-century modern with aluminum windows. The homeowner wanted to preserve the look of the aluminum, so we ordered specialty paint that looks just like aluminum and painted the windows. Once installed, you can't tell they are not aluminum! I will be posting pictures of those shortly.

If you are planning on installing these into a brand new home, you may want to also consider Marvin's Integrity Series. It is a pultruded fiberglass window, and the quality is superb. I carry both windows, and if you are located in Southern California, I would be happy to meet with you and show you both. But the Marvin does not offer a retrofit window, whereas the Milgard does. But if this is new construction, I would encourage you to look at the Marvin also.

Thanks!

JR Pentolino

• PRO
    Houston Window Experts
    hace 7 años

JR is right... I always suggest the Woodclad version if you plan to paint. It is much easier and it also has a better matte finish compared to painting fiberglass. (The surface is a little too shinny for me).

I would like to see any photos that you may have of your project!

Jeff in Houston

• User
    hace 7 años

It looks like the window sticks out beyond the white trim. Is this typical for replacement windows?

• PRO
    Milgard Windows & Doors
    hace 7 años

Hi Beth - this photo shown above does not look like a typical application. The window itself it the dark frame. The white piece around it is some kind of wood trim, which is not typical. I'ts hard to say why it was chosen in this case as we do not have any information about the project. Hope this helps.

• Onofrio Pentolino
    hace 7 años

Hi Beth! Milgard is spot on. The white piece is an existing plant-on trim that surrounded the existing steel window. This was a very odd wall condition, and you typically won't see a reveal like this. It doesn't look like it from the photo for some reason, but the white plant-on trim is actually sticks out beyond the bronze frame.

• PRO
    Houston Window Experts
    hace 7 años

It could also be that they did not have the wall depth needed for this product. The product itself if 4-1/8" deep. The original window was likely narrower and they needed extra room to accommodate the depth. Another option might have been to do a cut-back and recess the window further into the home. I cannot say for sure without seeing the project. Looks like it works though.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.