Houzz Logo Print
ascorsonelli

NEW but bland dining nook and living room

hace 8 años

Hoping you can help me with ideas to make our new house more homey. Open concept (maybe TOO open for some) so everything needs to tie together. Sectional stays and would prefer to keep the buffet as it was my grandmother's. I have several pillow inserts but haven't pulled the trigger on buying fabric to cover them. Feel free to share any navy, light blue, grey, green, or yellow fabrics you think would look good!

Might eventually do inside mount bamboo blinds but prefer the openness of nothing right now. My biggest hang up is the dining nook. It feels lacking, but with such a big light, I can't figure out what would look best.

Cant wait to see what you suggest! I've been lurking on this page since moving in a few weeks ago, and I must say--it's so much friendlier and welcoming than some of the other forums!

Comentarios (131)

• hace 8 años

The dining nook is nearly self-contained, in that the back wall ends at the kitchen and the left wall has a door in it - perhaps you could begin to give it more definition by painting those 2 walls a deeper shade of your wall color, an accent color, or wallpaper it. If you don't want a lot of contrast calling attention to the area above the door where there's no transition, then don't use an accent color, or, fill in above the archway with some moulding. Consider wallpaper available from several manufacturers that is patterned with the outline of trees. It would certain work with your light fixture and the deer/antler theme. You could even wrap the entire corner in a mural - gajillions to choose from online.

Re lorilori's post above, about wide stripes - you could paint the stripes around the entire dining corner (not sure if that's what she meant or not) but if you used 2 or 3 colors, but left one of the colors the current wall color, then you'd be able to leave the current wall color as the top stripe and not have a problem at the archway. I think the stripes would look great, and still allow for some carefully chosen artwork over time.

I'm having some trouble with your colors - it may be that my screen isn't showing your room accurately, but it looks like the walls and fireplace brick have some pink tones, as does the throw on the ottoman, whereas the rug and the brown of the sofa have golden undertones. That's a tough gap to bridge. There's a lot of talk about navy, but if you're keeping the brown sofa, I have to say, navy and brown just don't really like each other very much. I haven't read this whole thread, so if I'm missing something, please excuse. What about a cherry red? That can work with brown, and because it's a bluer red, it should look good with the greys in the brick and the pink undertones. You know, I had an upholstery fabric once that was so versatile - it worked in 3 different houses with different colors. It was an light (almost white) beige background with a wide golden beige stripe (like your sofa as it appears on my screen but much lighter) and a slightly narrower grey stripe. It also had a light blue stripe that was narrower still. Then it had a very narrow blood red stripe. It was a very loose, somewhat organic pattern, not regimental, exactly parallel stripes, and there was a lot of the background color showing. You mentioned your island color and I think it sounded like a lighter blue but I didn't see a pic of it. But I really think painting those colors on your dining nook walls, but letting the current wall color represent one of those colors (probably the gray) would tie everything together and then you could duplicate the colors in pillows on your sofa. What do you think?

• PRO
    hace 8 años

You might check for art here: http://www.houzz.com/projects/1295077/art-original-abstract-paintings

Here are a few specific suggestions for the dining area. There are many more at the link above.

Original Abstract Painting 48 x 48 · Más información

SOLD!! Art - Original Abstract Painting, 48 X 48 SOLD!! · Más información

SOLD!!! Original Abstract Paintings · Más información

ascorsonelli agradeció a Pamela Qarbaghi
  • hace 8 años

Wish I had done this! No way I'm going to be able to convince DH to take on any construction projects after literally just moving in. RATS!

• hace 8 años

PQ Arts, those are LOVELY! I wish you offered them in prints. I'm a cheapo when it comes to art. Shameful, I know.....

• hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

I love family heirlooms, so, of course, I would want you to keep your grandmother's buffet. You might dress it up with a navy scarf that would have the end corners folded to make a point at each end and have the ends drape over by about 10-12 inches. Then, you might want a matching tablecloth or runner for your dining table. However, for variety you might choose a navy-and-white star print. I also would suggest you make removable throw pillow covers in navy to tie the color scheme together. To make the dining nook stand out, you might add a white-painted chair rail around the room, paint the wall below the rail a neutral light blue and paint the wall above the rail navy. I agree with another poster that you might find two companion wall hangings or tapestries that have navy in them and display them on each wall of the dining nook. If you cannot find these, then large framed mirrors would look great on the upper walls. Your home has so much potential, and you have lovely furnishings already.

ascorsonelli agradeció a sheilaksb
  • hace 8 años

I'm surprised no one has suggested something as simple as painting your dining chairs. Such an easy infusion of color and I take it they weren't expensive. I'm going to assume their wood doesn't match the wood of the table so why not play with them?

ascorsonelli agradeció a Barbara Sewell
  • hace 8 años
    To shiningautumn8, I almost spilled my coffee on myself when I read your comment about the cow pictures! That's hilarious and so true!
  • hace 8 años

I think it needs a wood treatment to define the area. Some sort of wainscoting on those two walls. That, more than anything in my opinion, will make that area stand out.

ascorsonelli agradeció a D C
  • hace 8 años

Here is an example.....the walls are lighter but if you painted the walls darker than those in this picture the entire area would really stand out.....you could even incorporate a banquet, as I think someone else suggested.

Judith Street · Más información

ascorsonelli agradeció a D C
  • hace 8 años

Purchased a few pillows this weekend. Walmart had a surprisingly decent selection!

Will make or buy two or three plain navy pillows and a colorful throw.

As far as the dining nook wall, one of my gf's has used fabric stretched over canvas as "art." It looked fantastic in her home. Considering doing the same with this print.

It's a rather large repeat (18" horizontal, 25" vertical). Would look something similar to this, but you can bet I'd be matching the print much better than they did..... YIKES.

Thoughts??

ETA I like this one also:

• hace 8 años

Not keen on painting the walls or adding wood treatments at this time, though I really do love the idea of both. Like I mentioned, just finished construction, and we're not looking to do anything major at this point.

I'll keep my eyes open for a banquette/bench but prefer the ease of chairs to another big piece of furniture. Funny that you mentioned painting the chairs @blss! When I bought them from the seller, she almost stroked out when I told her I might paint them. "But these are quartersawn oak!!?" Won't lie, recovering the seats was enough work for me! HA

I could always repaint the buffet to something that POPS more. Hmm.....

• hace 8 años

I am so over benches at an eating table. No back support. If there are 3 people sitting on the bench, I feel sorry for the middle one that may have to leave the table. Everyone is disrupted. Meal time should also be relaxing not constantly adjusting yourself to be comfortable. Thanks, I have wanted to say this for a long time.

• PRO
  • PRO
    hace 8 años

Simply turn the table so that it is perpendicular & touches the wall so that all seating is accessible with scaled black mirror to suite and an interesting wall décor arrangement for the second wall. Don't forget the nice centerpiece!

• hace 8 años

The light fixture is a problem. Use it elsewhere. Add color, get a rug, artwork, then find a fixture that is lighter and makes a statement. Enjoy your new home!

ascorsonelli agradeció a Audrey
  • hace 8 años

Check out Ballard Designs' Coventry sectional banquette. It's available in several configurations and multiple fabric choices including Sunbrella fabrics which would be great for an eating area. This might offer you the look you are going for without installing a built-in corner banquette in your eating nook.

http://www.ballarddesigns.com/coventry-sectional-3a-corner-bench-2c-48-22-storage-bench-and-36-22-storage-bench/furniture/custom-upholstery/banquettes/238699

ascorsonelli agradeció a ellyn143
  • hace 8 años

Hope you'll post photos as you go. I'd love to see both the "in progress" photos & the finished product!

• hace 8 años
    Your living room and the furniture are enormous. It looks like you could push your couch in a little further towards the fireplace to free up a slightly larger walkway between the couch and dining area. The dining area needs to be a little bit bigger footprint just to match the massiveness of the living room space, so pulling the table out a bit my help. As already mentioned, a nice rug to define the space would be great and one large or two medium pictures on the larger dining room wall. also using a centerpiece with color that tie the living room and kitchen together, along with the paintings.
    ascorsonelli agradeció a Brandy Babcock
  • hace 8 años
    Haven't read all of the comments but I'd actually wallpaper the two walls. Maybe in a colours/pattern to complement the rug?

Might make the pendant light look less big..
    ascorsonelli agradeció a dassie4
  • PRO
    hace 8 años

I am in So. Ca. from a quick glance here is my two cents. The neutral colors with white accents are nice. They give a somewhat warm and formal feeling. I usually tell my clients when it comes to picking the finishes you can one of two basic ways.

If you go neutral you will need colorful accent pieces whether it be furniture or wall accents like paintings and other accent pieces. If you go down the color road ie; paint , tile, accent tiles etc. you can then tone down your color selections of paint, floor covering and furniture. You don't want everything competing with everything or it melds and nothing really becomes a focus.

I would get rid of the sectional with you walls and existing colors it just melds with the neutral earth tones you have. A perfect example of if your going neutral the furnishings should give the color.

I don't think florals are the right colors as some have suggested in this thread as that gives off a very feminine feeling , which is fine if that is what you are after. That said I feel it usually looks better to have a mix of masculine as well as feminine mixed in . Good luck you have an easy fix as many others have suggested .

• PRO
    hace 8 años

It seems that the table is too tight to the corner/walls. I would pull it out, until it is 30" to 36" from the wall. You can relocate your light fixture quite easily with a hook installed in the ceiling over the new centre of the table (be sure to use a hollow wall hanger, or it could come crashing down).

Consider using an area rug beneath, but certainly add some bold art on at least the longer wall, and tie it together with a long table runner.

ascorsonelli agradeció a elements design.build
  • hace 8 años
    The dining area is begging for a couple of pieces of art (36"x36" or larger) or a large piece on one wall and a grouping of smaller pieces on the other wall. Pick a textured colour that works with the rug and put LINED floor-to-ceiling drapes on the window wall.
    ascorsonelli agradeció a jbtanyderi
  • PRO
    hace 8 años

Start with a really cool chandelier and one oversize piece of art really large would you ever consider painting those chairs white would look good with the fabric you have on and I like the mixture of the wood table in the white chairs

ascorsonelli agradeció a Distinctive Mantel Designs, Inc
  • hace 8 años

Surprisingly, no one mentioned the very bad chi (energy) created by the direct line from the front door to the dining area. There either needs to be some nature of an energy 'stop' (a plant, an open freestanding shelf unit) so the front door energy is dissipated before smacks into your dinner guests. At the very least, no one should sit at the table with their back facing the home's front door. Otherwise love al the suggestions.

ascorsonelli agradeció a bettybre9
  • hace 8 años

A chair rail/ picture ledge in the dining nook with a slightly deeper toned paint below would create a visually separate room. Placing interesting things on the ledges, alongside some taller artwork adds the cosy feel of a separate ding space as well.

• hace 8 años

You've got the dining table lined up with the longest part of the wall and it makes the space look cramped and smaller. Just because the wall is longer there doesn't mean you have to run the length of your table there. You could turn it so the long part is butted up to the longer wall like you have on the short wall so there is room to put a narrow console table on the short wall and hang a pretty mirror and sconces for soft lighting and to decorate with and also be used for serving at a dinner party. Then you could put a nice large or 2 large pics on the wall that's long and even your pretty fig leaf tree at the end of the wall. I would also consider replacing the light fixture. From the looks of the pics, you have a more rustic mountain lodge type of feel and not industrial. Are you trying to go more industrial or rustic? Pottery Barn style? I picture a pretty candelabra type fixture on the rustic side or more traditional. Either way they would look softer and a little more sophisticated.

You could also incorporate more softer colors besides navy. Like rusty reds or light blues or even some gold and green. Pull the colors from your rug in the living room. Pillow covers can be used in place of your sofa pillows to bring more color in the living room. You might also consider making your entryway wall a gallery wall with some darker colors to warm it up.

Natural wood tones and black frames (you can paint the white ones) and not just pictures but 3d art as well like plates, sculptures, small mirrors and metal letters would all look fantastic above the buffet which you can put a pretty runner on and add color there as well. I don't know if you like burlap but i could see a burlap and lace or ribbon runner on top of that stark white. : ) Family pictures can go down a hall wall and you can add little mirrors like self portraits when people walk down and gaze at pics...(do you get that?) It will mimic in a similar way the entry wall. I can go on and on : P but those are a few cheap ideas to start with that might make your home look a little more warm and inviting. Good luck and God Bless

• hace 8 años

Just need to define the space a bit. Rug is a must. Also wall coverings. Be it paintings photos or a collection of clocks etc define the room. I would avoid skulls bcz of the inference of knowing who ur eating lol.

• hace 8 años

Get rid of the stripe rug. The dining room needs a large, bright rug with coordinating table runner, large mirror(s) on the wall(s), and either re-upholster the chairs or get fabric chair covers in a bright color. The sofa needs bright pillows and lots of them, plus a bright throw or two to help brighten up the brown. Not a fan of the rug under the sofa - too big and dark - but if you get enough color and reflection into the room, it may even look great!

ascorsonelli agradeció a mom2trisha
  • hace 8 años

Thanks everyone! I purchased pillows, a new throw, and some plants. Haven't found anything for the walls yet unfortunately. I'll share a picture soon.

I'd like a rug for under the table, but I'm not sure a standard sized one will fit properly in the space. The "nook" is 8'1" by 6'4" and the table (without chairs) is 5' by 3'2". Seems like 5x8 rug would be the most appropriate but really too long and not wide enough.

I'd love to replace the sectional with a gray one. Alas, I don't have a money tree in the back yard. If only! Looking for small, inexpensive changes at this point.

EBK, I'll post a picture tonight after turning the table and pushing it against the long wall.

• hace 8 años

For a table that size, you really need a rug that's at least 7 x 9' which wouldn't fit in the nook. How about a table runner--sort of a rug on TOP of the table-- instead?

• hace 8 años

A rug that adds lots of color would make a big difference maybe start with that. Have you consider painting the one wall behind the table a color? I have not read all the posts to know what everyone has suggested.

ascorsonelli agradeció a Brandy Perkins
  • hace 8 años

I agree no rug, and yes a table runner could add some softness to the area. Another possibility would be to swap out two of the chairs for slipcovered chairs?

• hace 8 años

lots more bigger and more colorful art and pillows. possible a rug under dining room table. animal heads? really?

• hace 8 años

great inexpensive large rugs online at overstock.com.

ascorsonelli agradeció a Jan Ellen Moskowitz
  • hace 8 años
    I agree with karemore in that it sounds like you are reaching for too many different ideas in your art work. The taxidermy exists strongly here so tie it with perhaps natural art and or art that evokes ideas of streams, trees etc. Always give Etsy a try for such things also. Have fun!
  • hace 8 años

I realize it's not much, but I like to think the pillows and plant add a lil' something! It's a slow process.....

Turned the table and appreciate how it feels less crowded. Seat backs to the door looks odd in pictures, but again, no one uses the front door. So I don't think it's as awful as some of you might think.

Abb, you and I are on the same wavelength as far as art themes. I've been looking at botanicals, trees, etc. Etsy is a time-suck, but a good one! Kinda like Houzz, huh? ;)

• hace 8 años

One more suggestion: A wide piece of art or collection of smaller

pieces above the living room window would really add some punch to that wall.

Some ideas.

• hace 8 años

I'm sure I'm not the only one to suggest this so I apologize in advance. But a beautiful but modern chandelier would be a great change for your dining nook, and some wall art or a tapestry. Best wishes to you!

ascorsonelli agradeció a Rose Trosin Hetrick
  • hace 8 años

Ha! Hadn't looked at transformation. Looks much better with table turned. The pillows and plant are nice color additions. Plants add a warmth to every room. Even if they are fake..They bring that natural positive presence to the room, even bathrooms lol The large gray dining light seems so cold. I like the table runner idea. A simple vase of flowers maybe to soften the lighting up maybe?

• hace 8 años

A little update :) Framed 3 prints of towns that mean something to us (Saratoga Springs, Annapolis, Estes Park). I think I'll look for some type of shelving for the other wall.

Pulled the rug out some more and relocated a step stool (that I will probably paint). Propped up a welcome sign I had... Jury's still out on whether it stays.

Looks dwarfed in these pictures, but I'm happy with the size

• hace 8 años
    Looks really good - I don't think you need a shelf on the other wall. This corner has come together perfectly!
    ascorsonelli agradeció a karemore55
  • hace 8 años
    I'm not loving the Welcome sign in that spot, though...what about above the 3 pics that are above your sideboard by the front door? Not too high - maybe 10 - 12" above the photos?
  • hace 8 años
    Actually, maybe only 6" above...I'd have to be in the room to figure it out lol. But, if you think of it as a collage with the entire grouping reading as one from a distance, maybe that will help?
  • hace 8 años

That's a thought Karemore! If I'm honest, I'm not a huge fan of the welcome sign in general. Feels pretty blah. I think I'll look around for something similarly shaped to put over the family pics or over the windows.

• hace 8 años

Love the table now turned!

ascorsonelli agradeció a Barbara Sewell
  • hace 8 años

Lol ascorsonelli - well, I'm not a big fan of them either, but there's a fine line between imposing your own tastes on someone, and pointing out form/function issues!

• hace 8 años

Your table looks great the way you've turned it in the corner. The light and the white framed photos all make sense. What about one more white framed photo on the wall where the table ends (instead of a shelf)? It would tie with the other walls. Your space is looking great!

ascorsonelli agradeció a omelet
  • hace 8 años

ascorsonelli, the place is looking great. I really like the two groups of three white framed photos in the entry and the dining area. Please don't hang anything above the photos in the entry; that space is perfect as it is. Don't hang anything above the windows either. No need to take the eye up there. You can safely consign the Welcome sign to wherever it is you send mistakes to die. ;-)

You really don't need a rug in the dining area and one won't fit anyway. Maybe a blue centerpiece to echo the photos on the wall?

ascorsonelli agradeció a groveraxle
  • hace 8 años
    Love the gray walls, looking for a gray paint like this...color please?
  • hace 8 años

Mimi, it's Sherwin Williams Crushed Ice. I've been happy with it (until someone pointed out the pink undertones. Now that's all I can see sometimes....)

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.