Houzz Logo Print
u768166

Solid wood worktops varnish help !!

u768166
hace 8 años

I have oiled solid wood kitchen worktops that won't keep a shine, and I'm finding these too much hard work. Can I varnish them as the store kitchen displays don't appear to be oiled ??

Comentarios (5)

• Brandi Nash Hicks
    hace 8 años
    That would not be good for food prep
  • PRO
    User
    hace 8 años

Oil will not keep a shine. It penetrates the wood and is used to keep the wood from drying with the heat of the kitchen, it prevents it from splitting and prolongs the life of the wood whilst still letting it breathe, ie contract and expand with different temperatures, as that is what wood does. There is no reason why you can't varnish your wood, you need to pick a very hard wearing Floor varnish. However, you still meet with the same disadvantages with oil............as soon as you put something hot on the surface it will leave a mark. Oil or varnish make no difference with regards food prep, you shouldn't prep on either! You will mark the wood, however, from a hygiene perspective a varnished surface is actually better because it's sealed. Most people will choose to prep and dish onto boards of either more wood or glass. I think most people think that by choosing wood they can do what they like to it, pan and heat wise............it's not the case. The only surfaces that are not affected by heat are natural stone.

• PRO
    Max Marshall Design
    hace 8 años
    Try using osmo worktop protecter then 2 coats of osmo oil. You will have to leave it for 6 weeks to properly harden but you can always cover the top with hardboard.
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    hace 8 años
    My neighbours used boat varnish on theirs - it always looks shiny now !
  • PRO
    P & P Maintenance Services
    hace 8 años

We use a 2 pack application on oak worktops now. Very tough and hard wearing product that doesn't require constant re-application. We use Rustins.

http://www.rustins.eu/Details.asp?ProductID=857

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.