elainereinberg2

Tips for disguising chord?

hace 11 años
Any tips for hiding this lamp chord? There will be a couch placed in front of this table.

Comentarios (24)

• hace 11 años
    I've never seen a cord exit the top of a lamp! Is the glass hollow so that the cord can be routed through the lamp? If not, it would be a beautiful candlestick by taking off the lamp parts.
  • hace 11 años
    This is how the chord exits any crystal lamp.
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    I have crystal lamps and the cord exits through the bottom!
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    Reassemble the lamp. And run the cord through lamp base . Lamps aren't made to have the cord connected in this fashion besides being unsafe. Good Luck
  • hace 11 años
    Última modificación: hace 11 años
    Use Rustoleum Camouflage Paint.
  • hace 11 años
    I have never seen a lamp with the cord coming out of the top. If it's a crystal lamp must, I didn't know it. My mom has crystal lamps and they don't have cords coming out of the top. Anyway, if most do, I would get a new lamp. I would see if you can get the cord moved the bottom, if not, I would consider a new lamp before trying to hide the cord. It's a little difficult to hide coming out of the top like that. You could try to make it look better, but it will still be a cord coming out of the top of a table lamp. This probably isn't real crystal, but might be a good similar replacement option if the cord can't be moved. http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Crystal-Column-Table-Lamp-with-Grey-Shade/6911433/product.html
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    If you are set on using it, I think there are kits available for purchase that will make a lamp battery or solar operated.

http://www.viewalongtheway.com/2012/08/lamp-hack-how-to-make-any-lamp-cordless/
  • hace 11 años
    That's wild. Re-wire or get a new lamp. :)
  • hace 11 años
    Crystal lamps come in two varieties. Some run the cord down a channel in the lamp with or without a pipe to disguise it. Others, often the more expensive ones, forgo the channel/pipe but the cord will drape from the top allowing the crystal to remain whole. Obviously the latter makes it harder to disguise the cord. The best that can be done is to snug the cord on the back side close to the lamp as it drops to the table. (Looks like yours is a clear coat over the wire which is as invisible as it gets.) This style lamp is best placed on a table or console close to a wall where the cord is not as noticeable. If placed on a table up against the front of a bookcase, the cord could be threaded back through the bookcase as long as no one will pass behind it. It's a beautiful lamp.
  • hace 11 años
    HI -- This is common for lamps with a solid base where there is no channel down the center of the base for the wire . This crystal base is solid so it is not possible to have it wired any other way. I don't know where you people that have never seen this before have been , but this is the only way for this to be and I have seen this many many times.
  • hace 11 años
    new lamp
  • hace 11 años
    Put the lamp against the wall, bring the cord through a hole in the back of the shade, thread it along something to hide cord on its way to the socket!
  • PRO
    hace 9 años
    I'm dealing with the exact situation. I ordered the solid crystal lamps without knowing about "French wiring." The base is sold glass so the battery lamp kit won't work as the battery needs to go into the bottom of the lamp. You're basically shortening the cord and eliminating the outlet. Looks like my only answer is to return them. :((
  • hace 9 años
    You could use florist wire (or any other flexible small diameter wire) wrapped around the bottom of the column to loosely hold the cord in place. It won't be invisible, but will help make it less obtrusive. After growing up in an antique lighting business French wiring doesn't bother me in the least.
  • PRO
    hace 9 años
    What is the Lamp place on?
  • hace 9 años
    I just stumbled upon this thread and thought I'd offer a bit more info. A French wired lamp is for times when the cord cannot/should not be threaded through a piece. Further, some people simply like the retro look. Lately, I've had more and more requests for French-wiring with twisted cloth cord.

In addition to examples above, French wiring is the preferred option for other applications as well. For truly custom, ooak interiors, designers and design enthusiasts alike often choose to press unique items into service as lighting. Collectors often like to have lighting that reflects their collection. In many cases, a retrofit with a post is not only impossible, it is inadvisable. In the case of vintage or antique pieces or particularly fragile ones, drilling a hole for a post risks irreparable damage or worse to the structure. Further, any permanent alteration irrevocably impacts the value of a piece that otherwise could have been returned to its full, "as found" condition/value by simply removing the wiring.

If you happen to be a person who needs this application for a piece or you simply love the look, please be advised: A unsecured lamp cord of any kind adjacent to traffic flow can be a hazard and, at a minimum, should be secured. Additional precautions are necessary when young children and/or pets are present. However, to achieve "the look," French wiring is meant to hang loosely. It is therefore best utilized on pieces where it will hang away from a traffic path, such as placed up against a wall or shelf, on a counter with a counter-height outlet, etc.
  • PRO
    hace 9 años
    Hi Elaine, i have been thinking about this situation for a few days. I know i am opening myself up to criticism but have you considered working with the french wiring design and possibly letting it be an element rather than the distraction it seems to be to you. perhaps you can make it more of element by using wire such as this to give it an acceptable and consistent shape (drop) . if you love it please let me know if you hate it ... well i tried. take care

28 Gauge Round Vintage Bronze Wire

28 Gauge = 0.3mm.

This gauge is ideal for beads with smaller holes and for delicate wire work, such as wire and bead flowers.
    - See more at: http://www.fusionbeads.com/28-Gauge-Vintage-Bronze-Wire?CAGPSPN=pla&CAWELAID=120159990000086312&catargetid=120159990000086803&cadevice=c&gclid=CjwKEAiAodOlBRDCjr-UlJDjtVUSJABR7fxyHrZMcHa31k5BJ-n6CJ5No4vwzLa9MFiLQoYb0pqH4RoCkDTw_wcB#sthash.vtBEXz2H.dpuf
  • hace 8 años

I just bought new Eva lamps from Pottery Barn and they are French wired. Hard to hide since they are being used on end tables next to a free standing sofa in middle of great room. Not sure if I am going to keep them.

• hace 8 años

It's a beautiful lamp and this is a perfectly acceptable way of wiring. I would just accept it as is.

• hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

My crystal lamp also has a french wire, and I most definitely do not consider it a design 'feature', either. I was bound and determined to hide it, and took the advice of poster sjkingston (above). I lined up the cord along the back of the lamp, and tied it flush with fishing line. It may not be worthy of an engineer's solution, but it sure solved the problem for me. I'm much happier, now that the cord doesn't dangle in mid air, and I don't think anyone will be checking the backside of my lamp, anyway. Thank you, sjkingston; I'm very pleased with how it looks now =).

• hace 7 años

I personally agree with Susan above. French wired lamps are supposed to be that way for the application as she stated.. I see no problem with the way it looks. I don't want an ugly cord running through the stem of a lovely crystal lamp. Don't worry about the cord coming from top, it's OK.

• PRO
    hace 6 años

Might consider one of our decorative cordless, rechargeable table lamps at Modern Lantern? Thanks!

• hace 6 años

I just saw a few table lamps that were French wired (Restoration Hardware website). To me, a table lamp is no different than any other item in a household that needs to be plugged in - seeing cords hanging out all over the place is just plain unsightly. It detracts from the lamp design itself - like looking at a gorgeous woman with a beautiful hairstyle that has been mussed by the wind, and now there is this clump of loose hair hanging in front of her face. There are plenty of design choices that have come and gone (avocado appliances, swag chandeliers, macrame). Retro doesn't always mean wonderful. Designer endorsed doesn't always mean wonderful (what do you call someone who graduated at the bottom of their design class?). The richest person in the world could have this design choice throughout their entire mansion(s) and that wouldn't convince me that it was a good idea. Just plain weird wiring. It became retro for a reason, not unlike bell bottomed pants, and I wore those, before I knew better.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.