Houzz Logo Print
tinyzazzy

Staining our new steps

tinyzazzy
hace 8 años
Help resolve a dispute between my husband and me. We had new stairs installed and we need to have them finished to match the adjacent hardwood floors. My husband wants to paint the risers white and I want to stain them. My reason: we have 3 kids, a chocolate lab, and three black and gray cats. They are all rough on the house and have already marked up the risers which have been installed for a while. My husband points to every picture he sees of stained stairs -- all with white risers. Thoughts?

Comentarios (5)

• PRO
    User
    hace 8 años

I do agree that white risers would look better. However, it sounds like the function of white risers is less than ideal to maintain a clean looking home. You could stain now, then once the kids are grown, paint them white OR paint them white now with the condition that cleaning the risers is added to the husband/kid's weekly chore list.

• jhmarie
    hace 8 años

My risers are white and have stayed clean - except when the floor installers were working upstairs. We are mostly a no shoes in the house family and most of those living upstairs are girls.

The risers will need periodic cleaning if white, so if painted, get a good washable topcoat. Another option is to have a runner on the stairs. I have stair tread rugs, so the risers are still bare. (stair tread rugs are in my idea book)

Our risers are painted because they were made out of a pine that had too many knots to look good stained. My sister in law's are all stained and I love them. I agree with above - they can always be painted later - but it would be very difficult to remove paint in order to stain.

• tinyzazzy
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thank you. I've told my husband that if I cave to the white risers, then he will be responsible for painting them!

• PRO
    Vanco Construction Inc.
    hace 8 años

The stairs you installed have beautiful oak treads and risers. It almost seems like a crime to paint the risers. I have done many projects and it all comes down to your personal taste, either way is correct. I agree with European windows and doors, stain now and paint later.

• PRO
    Dream Designs
    hace 8 años
    don't do white? depending on the stain go with a color that wouldn't show the crap from feet as much. Mr clean erasers are a life saver for this task and no shoes on the stairs will help with scuffing. staining the risers will be teadeous and you'll still get dirt and scuffs and will need more care cleaning. you could always get a beautiful runner!
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.