Houzz Logo Print
joan_l_glick

Help for Master Bathroom - I really need your input!

joan_l_glick
hace 8 años

I need ideas on remodeling the overall master bathroom space.

2 photos below - 1 existing and next one are my ideas...

There is a dressing area outside the current toilet/pedestal sink/ shower area. I want to use this space to enlarge the overall bathroom, but our priorities are a walk-in closet from the bedroom that is NOT inside the bathroom (my husband takes long steamy showers and I don't want clothes to get moldy) a double sink and a shower with a seat.

I am thinking of 1- flipping the toilet to where the shower is; 2- creating a closet 66 wide opening into the bedroom (and 48 deep); 3- losing the hall closet and putting a large walk-in shower back there (48 wide by 66 deep with an 18" bench that backs the hallway); and 4- putting a double sink vanity where the toilet was.

Questions:

1- Is it an expensive decision to flip a toilet to where a shower is? The toilet could accommodate a privacy wall to its right, but that will only allow a 12 deep storage in that wall.

2- 66" wide is the maximum width of a closet walk-in that I can figure out...Is this a reasonable size?

3- The shower is in a back corner - 3 walls will be full tile - does that make sense? Is it "too" big? I am looking at 48" sliding doors that are frameless.

4- The vanity can be anywhere from 60 and up to 72 inches wide...what makes sense? If I do the bigger then I will have minimal or no floor space for either a waste basket or a laundry hamper. We need towel storage somewhere also.

5- This bathroom will require a 28 or 30 " barn door that slides against the toilet wall...is this too small?

Master Bathroom · Más información

Comentarios (11)

• PRO
    Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

Your closet is too narrow at 48" wide. Hanging space is 24" and you need at least 30" to walk in, therefore, you need at least a 54" width for your closet if you want to have hanging space on three sides. You can take this out of your shower which really only needs to be 36" wide. You will have over 40" for the width of your shower. If your shower is at least 5' deep and you can put the shower head on the side wall, you won't need any door at all. You may have to adjust your bench location to put the shower head closer to the back wall....18" to 24" from the back wall.

Your vanity can be as little as 60" to have two sinks. Choose two smaller sinks if you do the 60" vanity to give yourself enough counter space.

joan_l_glick agradeció a Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
  • joan_l_glick
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Lampert - the closet is 66 inches wide and 48 inches deep....does that change your answer? Can have a barn door opening only 24 inches wide?

• joan_l_glick
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

I like that idea! Why swinging doors? What are your thoughts on the shower size--it is 66 inches--should I even have a sliding door or just a half wall of glass??

I wanted to flip the toilet, now that I needed a new entry...does that make sense with the vanity?

• acm
    hace 8 años

Well, it's not cheap to move a major waste line, but you can't really put the vanity on the toilet wall. And window walls aren't great. So this layout seems good.

• PRO
    Wintrup Developments
    hace 8 años

1816 Pattinson Cres. For Sale · Más información

what style are the other party of your house?

-here are a few pictures of a 3- wall tiled shower, next to a vanity. You'll see some similarities. The walk-in closet is behind the plumbing wall.

1816 Pattinson Cres. For Sale · Más información

joan_l_glick agradeció a Wintrup Developments
  • PRO
    Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
    hace 8 años

With the shower as deep as it is you will not need any door or glass at all. Put the shower head (or two heads) on the side wall so that it is not pointing out. Keep the shower heads closer to the back of the shower. I have attached some photos of one of my own showers in my house with no door.....It works really well....

I like where you have shown the toilet across from the vanity and behind a wall. It is very private this way without being in a separate room. I don't know what the floor structure is below the toilet so I don't know how easy it will be to move it across the room. If it is a concrete floor you can sawcut it and move it. If it is a raised wood floor over a crawl space or basement it will be very easy. If it is a second floor over a first floor, it may be more difficult depending on several factors, but hopefully do-able. You can talk to a plumber about the options.

The suggestion of two swinging doors to the closet is because you won't have room for a barn door or one single door if you make your closet door opening larger. If you do a 30" door, the two doors will each be 15"....and even this will be tight on one side. Another option is to swing each 15" door into the closet rather than out.

• PRO
    Wintrup Developments
    hace 8 años
    if you could draw the rooms surrounding the bathroom, especially the master. I can help more.
  • joan_l_glick
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

I cant really take any other space - the bedroom is 12x14 and has three windows...the hallway is long and narrow. the interior bathroom wall abuts the other bathroom...cant go in that direction...so the space I can work with is 8 by 11.5...just reconfigured.

It is on the second floor.

• PRO
    Wintrup Developments
    hace 8 años
    what style? contemporary like the W hotel?
  • joan_l_glick
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Sure! My husband does want a shower door...if we narrow the width, this prevents using a 48 in frameless slider...so maybe a glass panel with a door opening into the bathroom itself..though I hate the dripping factor.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.