Houzz Logo Print
polstrat

What can I do to make family room cozier?

polstrat
hace 8 años
I have these 3 units in my family room.
1 large tv unit and 2 bookshelves on either side of fireplace.
I want to add something to this room. My ideas have been doing something on the wall around fireplace like faux stone or wallpaper or different paint. Ideas?
I want to fill in the shelves more make it looked more lived in more cozy.
My ideas are filling with lots of books. Ideas?
Around tv unit I'm stumped as what to put on shelves.
Help........ Any ideas???

Comentarios (15)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 8 años

An area rug will instantly warm up the space IMO you have too maany shelves going on I would keep the bottom part of the bookshelves on either side of the fireplace lose the bookshelves and hang some interesting art on those spaces A shade of blue would be a nice color to add on the mantle in a rug and in the art by the fireplace

• Elke Meier
    hace 8 años
    These are nice units. Don't be "stumped" by what you "should" put on the shelves. Put whatever it is that YOU like to look at or use frequently. And definitely add some live greenery and fresh flowers. The wall color may be the biggest factor in making the room feel somewhat cold. It seems to have undertones of a cold gray. This will always take a room away from warmth. Particularly at night, when the windows all turn black with the night, the paint color will read even colder. Something with a warm yellow undertone will help. Benjamin Moore color chips will tell you if a color is warm (w) or cold (c). Good luck!
  • acm
    hace 8 años

Yeah, I had the same thought. The units next to the fireplace look built in -- I'd sell the TV unit and replace it with a low console that will make the space look less crowded, reduce the shelves you need to fill, and give you room for art. You need some color in this space -- even the mirror and vases over the fireplace are all reflective cold surfaces! Find a rug you like or a piece of art and pull accent color(s) from that to spread around.

Transitional Living Room · Más información

Lounge Lake Living Room · Más información

Greenwood Village Home · Más información

Contemporary Living Room · Más información

• PRO
    Montdor Interiors - Shaila Gottlieb
    hace 8 años

Adding books always works. I'm not a huge fan of photos on bookshelves. I'd rather see a wall of family photos. Most units offer adjustable shelving. In the TV init, I'd keep it symmetrical as you have it. In the units flanking the fireplace, I'd remove a shelf and put taller objects like your tallest vase on one side and the medium and small vase on a shelf on the other side. I like the vases, but not where you have placed them on the fireplace...beside the mirror would be better ( 1 on 1 side and 2 on the other. I'm going to show you 2 types of book shelves. One has lots of books with objects interspersed and even the odd family picture. The other has only important looking objects in the shelves.

Since we don't see all of the furniture or windows, it's difficult to comment, but an area rug and window treatments

would add a lot to the space.

• PRO
    RugKnots | Area Rugs
    hace 8 años

As Patricia said, an area rug will help warm up the space instantly. Go for hand knotted wool to help bring warmth and comfort.

Are you looking for color or stick with the neutral gray theme?

http://www.rugknots.com/collections/wool-silk-rugs/products/hu9-12-7-1639

http://www.rugknots.com/collections/ikat-rugs/products/aik-12-7-1791

http://www.rugknots.com/collections/ikat-rugs/products/aik-12-7-1776

• shiningautumn888
    hace 8 años
    Brass accents will warm it up some but agree you need a rug and some greenery. The large mirror is reflecting the ceiling so try actually hanging it. Id probably lose the large 3 vases blocking it. Instead add flowers on one side of mantle. A few rectangular baskets on the shelves will help too. Here are some ideas
  • zzmom40
    hace 8 años
    Would you ever consider removing your mirror and replacing it with a piece of art? This would be a great spot to add warmth to the space. Also the art can be larger than your mirror it is a tad to small. A rug would be wonderful underfoot...do you like animal print? I love black mixed with taupe and gray. You could also paint the backs of your shelves a deep warm tone too. Here is a example of ways to decor your shelves. I use these pictures as a reference when helping my clients fill their shelves. The proportions are perfect and they use many great accessory items that work well together.
  • polstrat
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Here is a pic of the rest of the room. This will probably help get a better feel of what's going on in the room now.
  • PRO
    RugKnots | Area Rugs
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

That is so helpful! Your rug is way too small. I would really consider a larger rug. The sectional should be able to sit entirely on the rug. Grab some painter's tape and lay the tape down about one foot past the sectional on all sides. Measure, and that is how big your rug should be!

• PRO
    Clayton Gray Home
    hace 8 años

How about WALLPAPERING the wall with the builtins and mirror? Maybe the Garland Wallpaper by Jonathan Adler would work?

Move the tallest vase over to the left and the other 2 to the right on the mantle.

Maybe a TRAY for the ottoman and other ACCESSORIES for the shelves.

You have a beautiful room with high ceilings! Love the gray + white!

• decoenthusiaste
    hace 8 años

Yes, you've opened the can of worms now. We'll all be jumping on the tiny rug and bland pillow issue, but that will give you a chance to change them out and theme the color and accessory issue you're facing with the cabinets. I like rugs to slip under the front 1/3 of the sofa and extend past the ends by a foot or more.

• PRO
    Lumar Interiors
    hace 8 años

Here is a design of ours that we hope helps.

Chaplin Crescent Estates · Más información

• PRO
    Pamela Qarbaghi
    hace 8 años

Gray is a beautiful color for walls. I am especially fond of the lightest, whitest versions like Benjamin Moore's Chinese White, which is really a light silvery gray. Having said that, gray is a cool background color only. Your room is lacking warmth and color. I would put the mirror which is over the fireplace somewhere else, and replace it with some art to warm up the room. Then pick up colors in the art in your pillows on the sofa, books and other accessories. Since you have no color in the room now, it is a little difficult to know what colors you might favor, but here are a few suggestions for over the fireplace, to get you started. Find more possibilities at: http://www.houzz.com/projects/1295077/art-original-abstract-paintings

SOLD!!! Original Abstract Paintings · Más información

Art - SOLD! Original Abstract Paintings · Más información

SOLD!!! Art - Original Abstract Paintings 36 X 36 · Más información

SOLD!!! Art - Original Abstract Painting, 48 X 36 SOLD!!! · Más información

SOLD!!!- Original Abstract Painting, 48 X 36 · Más información

• havingfun
    hace 8 años

rugknots -when you get a chance, pls message me.

sorry about that Pols, ok, so what you should have derived from all this is that when you do these mono type rooms you need something to make a difference, often art. Places to go for originals and believe it or not it is often less than copies include etsy and Saatchiart. in your case, though I always encourage it, it would only make so much difference, because your main walls are covered in storage units. fab ones by the way.

You have your rug, which i would be happy to provide some reasonable examples - i try to do 5x8 $300 or less.

You have your drapes, which we could definitely liven up, though I always like simple white too, especially sheers. dreamy white curtains swaying in the breeze scenario.

The items on and/or the backs of your cases. a few wallpapers that you might enjoy.

Peel and Stick Wallpaper - No Glue, No Residue, No Mess! · Más información

Peel and Stick Wallpaper - No Glue, No Residue, No Mess! · Más información

Removable Wallpaper-Leaf Lattice-Peel & Stick Self Adhesive, 24x96 · Más información
    These are all removable.

Items in your cases. Do you have any vases you really like, serving dishes, statuary, rock collection, shells, inherited items, sculptures? I love colored glass, i have 2 beautiful vases my mom got for me, both red cut crystal. Although I hate people to buy things just to add to the decor, you could actually make a huge difference by going to the $1 store, buying a couple clear glasses and filling them with those glass pebbles in an appealing color.

pillows are another way of bringing in color. Lets just mix a couple of these in. remember in order to make a color or combo look like it belongs you have to have it happen 3 times in the room.

Decorative Accents : Decorative Pillows | Hayneedle.com · Más información

Pillows: Decorative, Accent & Throw Pillows | Pier 1 Imports · Más información

Amazon.com - SimpleDecor Jacquard Geometric Links Accent Decorative Throw Pillow · Más información

Amazon.com - Manual Climaweave Indoor/Outdoor Decorative Throw Pillow, 24 X 18-I · Más información

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.