Houzz Logo Print
spammie5

Is my shower door idea possible?

spammie5
hace 8 años

It's time for us to decide on the shower door. After being posed with the question of frameless or framed, I drew this idea of what I'd like to see. The particular glass professional said what I wanted wasn't something they could do as the glass was too heavy.

Check out my pic and see if it is doable or if I'm going to need to decide on something else.

My thought is to have clear glass along the half wall, with three hinges to support the door swinging back towards the vanity. I also wanted to have a few inches at the top for ventilation. Frameless is our first preference but if it can't be done the way I've drawn it, what are my other options?

I've scoured Houzz looking for similar pics and seen some, so I want to think it IS possible, but I would appreciate others' opinions. Thanks!

Comentarios (11)

• PRO
    Blue Lotus Designs
    hace 8 años

It is definitely a possible design. We've have done the same basic design for some our clients.

• acm
    hace 8 años

Yeah, I think you just need a little support for the small panel.

• sbrosnahan
    hace 8 años

Yes it is. I had three well known companies and all with good ratings come and tell me my brand new construction, unique but slightly off measurement, shower could not be done frameless. I finally called a smaller local company who did it without question...and despite my grilling him for 45 minutes 6 ways to Sunday about all the possible things that the other companies told me would go wrong...he finally said "lady....i will put it in writing that if this doesnt work...either in 2 weeks or 20 years..I will come out and replace it myself at no charge!" Its been over a year and its still as sturdy as they day they installed it. And to boot...they made recommendations that the other companies never offered AND they were more affordable. So dont doubt the little guy just because he doesn't want a high overhead business! Good luck!

PS He told me the secret is to use a thicker glass on the hinged side. They came on Monday to "glue" it in place but couldn't hang the door on it until a few days later when the glue had cured. Also, the door swings both ways for safety...so that if a person passed out in there, they would be accessible by swinging the door out vs. in.

• PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    hace 8 años

Generally when one has a door that hinges off of another glass panel, the hinges are different than otherwise. When we have priced this, the cost has been $1k or more higher than doing it another way. You can put a single header across the top and it brings the cost down below the cost of using the specialty hinges.

You can't do the little 1" or so offset that you have drawn, IMO. You need to line up the fixed panel with the side of the wall and all the hinges need to be in a row. I think the middle hinge would need to hinge off the wall.

What I don't like about your design is that a shower door should swing both in and out and it cannot do that in your design without hitting the shower head and possibly the control valves.

• spammie5
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Hi Deborah. My drawing isn't exact and I apologize for that but my intent was to have it exactly at the wall for the smaller panel, (no 1" offset) with three hinges aligned vertically and if two of the three need to hinge off the wall then that's totally fine.

The shower is deeper by about 6-8" to the right of the right wall so I don't think hitting the shower head or valves would be an issue. But I can see where that isn't visible at all from my pic.

What I'm trying to accomplish, is for the essential design I'm after, i.e. what's in my pic...is what's the best way to make it happen? And I appreciate everyone's thoughts on this.

• PRO
    Fletcher Cameron Kitchens
    hace 8 años

Definitely a possibility!

• PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    hace 8 años

This is what a header would look like which can reduce the cost when hinging off the glass. It increases the cost if you add it to a shower door that hinges off the wall. This is a children's bath so not very decorative, but it will give you an idea.

Friendly Avenue Whole House Remodel · Más información

• C F
    hace 8 años

To echo acm's comment-- I don't know anything about the hinges and what-not, but my parents just renovated a bathroom with a similar glass door shape and setup. They really wanted all frameless but were advised to do a small frame along the bottom of corner where you have your countertop. Apparently the extra support is necessary to prevent the glass from shattering.

• Phyllis
    hace 8 años

I have a similar frameless design in my master. One exception is that the door opens on the opposite side. I didn't stipulate and it seems to work fine. It also only opens out (clear bumper runs along bottom) which works fine. Tried to post a picture but it hasn't uploaded to my Mac yet. :-(

• Kelly
    hace 8 años
    Is there some reason you don't want the hinges on your tile wall? Have your handle opposite of the side it is on in your drawing. Like this.
Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.