Houzz Logo Print
beckiemaday

Front Yard Landscaping

Beckie Eilers
hace 8 años
I am looking to redo the landscaping of our front yard. The bushes now seem to take away the detail from the house. Looking for low maintenance ideas. Any suggestions would be helpful!

Comentarios (10)

• AG
    hace 8 años

Can you please tell me which climate zone you are in? It will help when advising on plants/shrubs. Here's a link to the USDA Climate Zone Map. Thanks! http://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/

• Beckie Eilers
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

According to the map that you provided, I am located in 5b. Thanks!!

• Beckie Eilers
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thanks for the suggestions! I like the ideas of making the landing wider. I didn't even think about that, but it makes sense. The yard faces east so we do get a good amount of sunlight. My favorite feature of my house is the door so I want it to stand out.

• PRO
    R.D. London Studios
    hace 8 años

I personally would only take out the bushes on each side of the door. 2 total to go. You can put low growing roses in their place to keep with the style and charm. I like your door too. I would also consider a darker paint color to contrast and show it off more. Nice place!

Beckie Eilers agradeció a R.D. London Studios
  • katinparadise
    hace 8 años

Beckie-you have such a lovely and appealing home. Your rounded front door is a wonderful focal point. I think that extending the landing the full length of the bump out would be a great start. Two planters on either side of your door and some curved flower beds with natural plantings of varying heights on either side would be perfect for your home. You might consider putting your house numbers in the recess underneath your door. Good luck with your project.

Beckie Eilers agradeció a katinparadise
  • ecpt
    hace 8 años

Replace the rounded one on the end with something taller and more slim/cylindrical. Remove the largest two close to the front door. The other two are fine. "Fill in" with something soft and flowering that won't get more than 3-4 ft tall. Consider pulling the leftside bed out deeper so that it rounds the walkway.

• Beckie Eilers
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Wow! Thank you for the responses! I can see it coming together already! I really like the idea of the planters on the sides of the door and the low growing roses. I definitely plan on staining the door a darker color once the weather gets warmer here! I do need to get a new house number sign, so that is a great idea to move it as well!

• katinparadise
    hace 8 años

Be sure to post pictures of your changes!

• PRO
    Dreamscape Outdoor Living & Garden Inc.
    hace 8 años

Love the design of your house, especially
    the front door! I agree with previous comments by London Staging and Culitvar
    regarding the shrubs. I suggest you remove all the shrubs because they are too
    large and the shapes do not complement the facade of the building. After removing the shrubs, define the borders
    on either side of the door with lawn edging like this one.

This is an easy-to-install metal edging which
    will fit any straight or curved border edge. It is long-lasting and the low
    profile design means the house and the shrubs will be the focal point, not the
    edging. Once the yews are removed, add organic topsoil and fertilizer to
    improve the soil.

For the borders, choose shrubs with a
    variety of foliage, flowers and berries which will provide year-round interest.
    Some shrubs to consider are azaleas and
    dwarf rhododendron which flower in the spring. For a narrow evergreen, consider
    Alberta Spruce (Picea glauca albertinia ‘Conica’) which is about 4' tall
    and has a pointed shape. Flowering shrubs include Bush cinquefoil (Potentilla
    fruticosa
    ) which has small yellow blooms in summer. For fall beauty, plant Pyracantha
    (dwarf variety) it has masses of decorative orange berries in the fall. Around
    the edge of the border you could plant Rose Daphne (Daphne cneorum), it is a ground cover that grows about 1' high and
    has pretty pink flowers in the summer.

After the shrubs are planted, water them
    well and add a 2" layer of mulch, this will retain moisture. This is where
    the landscape edging comes in handy, because it keeps the mulch in place.
    Looking forward to seeing any pictures you post of your choices!

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.