Houzz Logo Print
chase522

Cabinet Feedback

Wendy C
hace 8 años

We are building in one of our local developments and are trying to decide on cabinets. I like dark/white mix but the white is an upgrade so nix that. We thought we were going with the dark brown shaker with a sleek modern cabinet pull, but now my husband is leaning more toward the dark brown raised panel (style of the photo on the left but color of the one on the right) - ironically the same style in our current house but darker. I really liked the color of the lighter cabinet on the left and through about doing the island in that color and the rest in the dark. He isn't a fan of that. Now I'm thinking maybe the two bathrooms in the lighter color (he's still wanting dark all the way through the house).

Any thoughts? I love the color of the one on the left, but am a little concerned it might look out dated. We've always had the same cabinets throughout and part of me wants to be daring and adventurous.

Thank you for any feedback.

Comentarios (19)

• Rick N
    hace 8 años
    Do the shaker dark or natural wood color. The color on the left is way dated. If you really want the white pay the upgrade. This is a quality of life issue. Don't let anyone tell you it's not worth it.
  • PRO
    CCM Architecture
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

Walnut Kitchen · Más información

I would agree with Nick, the style and the color of the left cabinet is dated already and the darker shaker style will be far more timeless in style. Here's a kitchen in Walnut with a slab door.

http://www.houzz.com/projects/794477/family-residence-blue-ridge-seattle

• libradesigneye
    hace 8 años

Pay the upgrade for just a few and do the mix. I wouldn't say the color on the left is dated but it is very traditional (which goes in cycles). Pay for white on your island only in kitchen, but split the baths with him (guest / kids bath white - your bath dark) - instead of speckly stone, get white quartz tops. Granite is not advancing your look forward here. Then it will be fresh and you'll have your mix.

• Emily
    hace 8 años

I must say I love the darker cabinet! What will the floors be? Love libradesigneye's idea of white quartz top! That would really balance the darkness of the cabinets and feel fresh and modern.

• PRO
    Gannage Design & Construction
    hace 8 años

I have been with many clients at just such a cross road. Budget is always a concern, but I can hear your decision in your comments. Pay for the upgrade. Give up something less pivotal to the whole scope of YOUR vision. Maybe something that can be upgraded later. The other option is to pay for the clear finish now (least expensive), and save for the painted white upgrade later. Not a prefered option, but will work in a budget crunch. As you can see your budget is a concern for me, but it may not be such an issue for you. Either way, the "dated" cabinets will haunt you, if, heaven forbid, you sell. Have a Merry Christmas!

• zzmom40
    hace 8 años
    Go with the white you won't regret it!
    Here is a pic of my kitchen it might inspire you to go for it...I am sooo happy! That way you can do any color wood floor you want.
  • Wendy C
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

We are not doing quartz because that is another $1,250 for that. To include white cabinets in the kitchen it's around $1,500. Since we already made changes adding to the square footage etc we are trying to keep the costs reasonable with the design pieces yet find something we like. The granite shown here is the only option that wasn't black or golden tones so this was our best option. We are upgrading to the glass tile because I don't want the stone tile that comes with the package. Sounds like I should make a push to get him back on the shaker side. I'm not such a big fan of the medium brown tones because they feel a bit more rustic to me. We live in Washington state and a lot of people do the outdoorsy look, but it's not so much my style. (Our current house is natural maple floors and cabinets - it's very light and bright.)

We haven't picked hardwood floors yet, we get engineered hardwood with the house. My husband love Acacia natural, I have concerns that will be to busy. I am going to look at one this weekend that just had it installed to see what I think. If we did that floor it would have to be the Shaker Cabinets. It would look terrible with raised panel door I think.

I thought this would be fun, it's really quite stressful. The builders design center doesn't have a lot of things that I love so trying to balance both our likes and dislikes and then pick from what our choices are. Yikes!

Appreciate the input, keep it coming!!

• zzmom40
    hace 8 años
    Your granite choice I think is exactly mine! If you don't choose to upgrade to white cabinets I would go for the darker cabinet...the lighter one I think will looked washed out and more like standard builders choice...
  • Marla Jaffe
    hace 7 años

looks terrific---glad you went with the white! Please post the finished result.

• Emily
    hace 7 años

How exciting! It's looking beautiful. What kind of floors did you end up picking?

• M Shea
    hace 7 años
    Great choices -- looks beautiful!
  • Wendy C
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    emilyjohnson we went with Metropolitan Abode Acacia natural, here is the sample. we have not seen it installed anywhere so praying we like it. We have seen other brands of acacia and the hubby loves it. Fingers crossed. We will know this week.
  • Emily
    hace 7 años

Ooh, I think that's going to be lovely! Smart to contrast the bold, statement floor with the serene white cabinets and tie in the deeper wood tones of the floor with the island.

• libradesigneye
    hace 7 años

wood tones look good together . .

• Wendy C
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    The kitchen is done except the hood over doing ok is not installed and paint touch up still to be done but we love it!
  • Marla Jaffe
    hace 7 años

beautiful--looks like a high end custom home!

• blonde08
    hace 7 años
    Great choices!
  • mrstad
    hace 7 años
    I really love how this turned out! I had to go look up Acacia flooring. It looks so nice
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.