Houzz Logo Print
newhavena

Flooring options for stairs

newhavena
hace 8 años

I have a 2 story home, and would prefer an affordable, safe alternative to carpeting for my staircase and upstairs rooms. Any suggestions? I don't want a slippery floor.

Comentarios (9)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 8 años

What do you have for flooring on main floor.?

• newhavena
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Tile on first floor, kitchen, and upstairs bathrooms. Not looking to change that. Thanks!

• sarahjrem
    hace 8 años

I have all maple-colored hardwood in our split level. We also have slippery, hardwood stairs. I was looking into some decent looking treads, and I couldn't come up with anything right away. My husband got tired of the slipping risk (and we have two children and a dog) so he went and got some very generic stair treads that you just stick on from Home Depot. They are not gorgeous. But they are safe, and will work until I figure something else out! Looking forward to seeing what others might post here.

newhavena agradeció a sarahjrem
  • PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    hace 8 años

Cork floating flooring on both the stairs (glued in place with proper nosing) and on the upper floor = carpet replacement product. Cork is considered a low slip surface (much grippier than hardwood and most tiles) and is as good or better with reducing noise = excellent carpet replacement.

JMHO

• PRO
    Marlene Oliphant Designs LLC
    hace 8 años

I carpeted my stairs in a chocolate brown patterned wool carpet. Our stairs get heavy traffic and this carpet takes it all. Just had it cleaned for the first time in 3 years, even though it did not look dirty. Wool carpet wears extremely well. The other option for you would be a commercial-grade carpet that can stand up to heavy traffic. Good luck!

• PRO
    Marlene Oliphant Designs LLC
    hace 8 años

P.S. I know you said you don't want carpet but I would urge you to reconsider.

• PRO
    Gray & Walter, Ltd.
    hace 8 años

You could use sisal installed wall to wall or wood floors with area rugs.

• PRO
    ULTIMATE HARDWOOD LTD
    hace 8 años
    You can apply a non slip finish to the hardwood. Several manufacterers make this. I've done it several times on steps. Works really well.
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.