capeonthecape

Front Entry Way...Im Stuck. Is this good or can It be better?

Phillip
hace 8 años
última modificación:hace 8 años

The entry way is cute but it starting to rot so I'm going to have to replace the wood. Before I replace, I thought maybe this can be spruced up a bit. It's a small cape home so nothing extravagant. Something simple that will catch the eye is what I'd like. I was also thinking of a wooden door, but I am open to all ideas. The house sits on a Main road so it would add curb appeal. Thanks for your help!

Comentarios (15)

• Phillip
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

another photo

• S J
    hace 8 años
    I feel like the windows are narrow for the face of the house. Maybe shutters would add character to this.
    Phillip agradeció a S J
  • brickln
    hace 8 años

On smaller entries, I think architectural brackets supporting the roof are a good choice. If you stay with the railings, a less contemporary look might work better.

Phillip agradeció a brickln
  • mel875
    hace 8 años

Hi Phillip, I like the purple door, really eye catching, but if it needs to be replaced as part of a porch redo ( what I understand is necessary), I think a wooden door with a glass design in the middle would look charming. below is a photo of my front door. You can have a smaller "stain glass" area, frosted or not ( mine is partial), the door is fake wood and easy to care for. They probably come in different colors. this would also add light to the entry way. good luck!

Phillip agradeció a mel875
  • katinparadise
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

Hi Phillip. I agree with brickln that using brackets to support your entry as opposed to posts is a wonderful idea. The can be mounted at the edge of the roof line and would widen the look of your entry. I would then look at rebuilding your railings so they angle down and follow the steps to the bottom. They're a bit modern in style for your cape now so maybe something a bit more traditional. I like your purple door as well and agree that shutters would be perfect to give your windows a bit more importance. Just be sure they're appropriately sized-large enough to look as though they would completely cover the windows. If you don't like shutters, consider painting the trim around the windows in the same white as the rest of the trim to frame the windows a bit. I don't like to disagree with other posters, but if you decide on a wood door, be sure it's appropriate to the style of the house. Leaded glass is Victorian in style and wouldn't help to compliment your cape. Good luck with your project!

Phillip agradeció a katinparadise
  • Carolina
    hace 8 años
    Cape Cod Whole House Renovation · Más información
  • Carolina
    hace 8 años
    Harbor Restoration · Más información
  • PRO
    David Lawrence Brown, AIA
    hace 8 años
    If the Stoop was wider it would further reinforce an invitation.
    Phillip agradeció a David Lawrence Brown, AIA
  • joanie_97
    hace 8 años

I have been looking for a new stoop design for my home too. I have looked at every bungalow in my town and haven't found any I like. They are all too small. As David above said, the stoop being wider with a walkway I think would add to the welcoming feeling. It could even be narrow at the door but wider at the bottom with each step being wider as it goes from top to bottom.

• elisha312
    hace 8 años
    Phillip, your house looks cute; I have a cape cod style too. I think the photo which Carolin posted (the white Cape with no overhang, wider stairway and railings) is the best for your house. Though I love the bracketed only overhang look, it is a less formal one and I usually see it with a zero step entries. You have some height so you really should keep a traditional railing for safety (maybe code too); I think the wider brick steps and landing would be lovely. The posts and current overhang look too narrow to me. Good luck with your project; keep us posted.
    Phillip agradeció a elisha312
  • elisha312
    hace 8 años
    Also a door like this one (even without the side lights) which echoes your four light windows on either side would look great.
  • decoenthusiaste
    hace 8 años

I'd rip out the formal hedges and install some fun, relaxed plantings to reflect the fun nature of your colorful entry. Picket fences are typical of capes. Broaden the stoop for sure.

D'Urso Landscape Design · Más información

Phillip agradeció a decoenthusiaste
  • PRO
    Cambridge Pavingstones with ArmorTec
    hace 8 años

You can update the front of your home with Cambridge pavingstones and wallstones. Start with a beautiful pavingstone walkway leading to your front entrance and then add an entryway with a porch area, opening up the front of your home and adding additional space for leisure. You can also increase your curb appeal with Cambridge Wallstones in the front of your home, which can highlight your new landscaping this upcoming spring. Please go to our website and visit the amazing photos in our electronic brochure. By linking to Cambridge’s DesignScape Visualizer you can upload a photo of your entryway and actually re-design it using Cambridge pavingstones and wallstones. Visit our website at www.cambridgepavers.com

• PRO
    Goddess Construction LLC
    hace 8 años

Phillip, There are a lot of good ideas here. I think adding shutters may help. Also, trimming the bushes away may open the area a little. Depending on your budget, adding stone vertical pillars may help with a matching bottom round edged step to blend it all together. Good luck!

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.