Houzz Logo Print
heffernhyphen

Shower Doors: Frameless Swinging Door or Bypass Door

heffernhyphen
hace 8 años

While they're certainly beautiful, I've heard of (and experienced) leaking from frameless shower doors. Anybody have any advice about the merits of bypass (barn style) shower doors instead? Thanks!

Comentarios (15)

• PRO
    Abraxis Art Glass & Doors, Inc
    hace 8 años

The frameless showers can easily keep water from leaking provided your installer is very experienced and willing to really assess the conditions of the enclosure. Out of plumb or bowed walls or a curb that slopes into the room instead of into the shower are the most common obstacles. Precise measuring maintaining 1/16" tolerances between panels is a must, but few are able to pull it off. Don't let them use gaskets to excess as it detracts from the clean look you're after. Be sure to either see examples of the installers work or get several referrals from past clients. You'll find out very quickly who to stay away from

heffernhyphen agradeció a Abraxis Art Glass & Doors, Inc
  • heffernhyphen
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Great advice. And right in time. The shower tile should be finished this week. Time to make some decisions about the door!

• PRO
    hace 8 años

These sliders work well when there is a toilet or vanity adjacent and access is limited preventing a hinged door. If your installer is accurate in measuring and install then you will not have a leaking problem. Make sure that the curb has a slight tilt to the inside inside of the shower so when water streams down the door the sweep on the bottom of the door and the sloping curb direct the water to the interior.

heffernhyphen agradeció a Abraxis Art Glass & Doors, Inc
  • PRO
    hace 6 años

Sliders are the most appropriate in situations where there is a toilet or vanity next to the shower. These often prohibit the use of a 'swing' door as it likely cannot be opened even to 90 degrees limiting access. Making sure the shower head does not face the gap between the two panels is a must. Sloping the curb to the inside of the enclosure will minimize the chance of water leaking into the room

• User
    hace 3 años

Is a swing door appropriate if there is a grabbar on the hinge side?

• PRO
    hace 3 años

Hi Myra,

I am assuming the grab bar is on the inside of the shower? If so, the door will hit the the bar unless you install a narrow (4"-6") fixed panel against the wall and then the door so when it opens to 90 degrees it won't hit the bar.

The other, more simple option, is to put a small clear bumper where the door would touch the grab bar, one like you may have on the inside of your cabinet doors. They are inconspicuous.

Hope this helps!

Bob Leimgruber

• User
    hace 3 años

Hi Bon, No the door can't be in front of the grab bar is I need to use it. I am wondering if a swing door with the hinges on the same side as the garbar (so the door would have to open out) and the garb bar used to enter the tub/shower is 12" vertical bar a few inches from the hinges, will it be difficult to enter the tub, use the grab bar?

• PRO
    hace 3 años

so is this a tub /shower enclosure? How about a frameless slider? The door could be on the side of the bar, slide it open, grab the bar and step in. No need for hinged door.. Can you send me a photo?

• User
    hace 3 años

Well I have a photo in progress. The vanity will be installed on the wall on the right. The entry to the tub has to be where the spout etc. are. And right next to that side of the tub is the door to the commode

• User
    hace 3 años

bi-pass frameless is prob the way to go. There will be about 4 inches between the tub and vanity so it a fixed glass panel there will make cleaning difficult I imagine. And if I had a partial glass enclosure I imagine that the vanity will get wetter than I would like.

• User
    hace 3 años

Do they still make the hardware for shower doors in white or satin chrome?

• PRO
    hace 3 años

The Serenity from CRL is your answer. Google it and look at the You Tube sites. The fixed panel would be on the right by the vanity and the sliding door would be on the left allowing easy access to the controls and your grab bar. We have installed many i9n such a situation.

Look online for finishes. They have Brushed Nickle which would be similar to your Satin Chrome

• User
    hace 3 años

Thank you, not sure I want a fixed panel by the vanity, maybe a cleaning nightmare, but I will consider it. I have satin chrome in the another bathroom. The woman at the tile store took me through all the different metal finishes and how they went with the tile. The fixtures will be chrome (except the grab bars will be white), and you can really see the difference between chrome and brushed nickel.

• PRO
    hace 3 años

CRL also makes slider where both panels move

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.