Houzz Logo Print
jessica_shambora

Divided sink or one large sink?

Jessica Shambora
hace 8 años

Which is better for doing dishes and keeping things tidy?

Divided Sink · Más información

Divided sink
One large sink

Comentarios (180)

• pamesue
    hace 8 años

Well, the hub-a-dub has overflowed our single kitchen sink at least twice in the past year. He thinks he's a multitasker. He starts to fill the sink to soak something only to forget and it runs all over the kitchen. This kitchen had 2 large single sinks with a small disposal in the center installed side-by-side (see picture). If I had a large sink with a smart divide, the water would fill up one side of the sink and drain in the other. We've since sold this house and are renovating a new residence. I will definitely be getting a very large double with a smart divide.

Jessica Shambora agradeció a pamesue
  • Julie Hunt
    hace 8 años
    I still keep my vote for double sink had a single hated it. I always utilize both sides even when filling up my dishwasher. Use one to soak pans or put dishes waiting to go in dishwasher. The other side I keep open to use the garbage disposal without moving around pans and plates.
    Jessica Shambora agradeció a Julie Hunt
  • Julie Hunt
    hace 8 años
    I still keep my vote for double sink had a single hated it. I always utilize both sides even when filling up my dishwasher. Use one to soak pans or put dishes waiting to go in dishwasher. The other side I keep open to use the garbage disposal without moving around pans and plates.
    Jessica Shambora agradeció a Julie Hunt
  • PRO
    Design for Home and Workplace
    hace 8 años

In all of these arguments I've not seen anybody mention the advantage of a large single sink being that you only have one drain, one garbage disposal and hence more room in the cabinet under the sink. Especially if you choose a model with the drain towards the back of the sink... A plastic tub takes care of the need for two compartments and is gentle on your porcelain. We hardly ever use the tub as it is.. Single sink, hands down.

Jessica Shambora agradeció a Design for Home and Workplace
  • hotzim
    hace 8 años

I have a Kohler Deep Divide sink where the far side has 2 humps and the divider doesn't extend up all the way. The humps provide extra room to get your hands in there and move things around and the low divide allows you to have the benefits of 2 sinks without the divider getting in the way. It is one of the best decisions I made when we designed our house. As far as the comment above about the drain, I have never felt it took up too much room. To upgrade the situation I would put in a pull out drawer to set things on so you don't have to get on hands and knees to see what is in the back corner under the counter. I actually do keep a very small flashlight to help me see into the back corner.

Jessica Shambora agradeció a hotzim
  • PRO
    Lori Dennis, Inc.
    hace 8 años

A divided sink is great for multi tasking and dual uses.

Jessica Shambora agradeció a Lori Dennis, Inc.
  • ptmatthews
    hace 8 años

I think it depends on how you wash dishes. Do you make a sink full of soapy water, or do you wash with a running faucet? If running faucet, then single sink is fine. If soapy water, then double is a must! I grew up in a house with a deep double sink with drain boards attached on both sides - best ever!

Jessica Shambora agradeció a ptmatthews
  • Elizabeth Matthews
    hace 8 años
    Have had both, much prefer one large sink. Can fit oven racks, big baking sheets. And have a dishpan to put in the sink if needed. Mind you, we also have a second small sink on our island,.
    Jessica Shambora agradeció a Elizabeth Matthews
  • Elaine Christensen
    hace 8 años

Just wondering: who manufactures the sinks pictured by cwoodstock and noemibbb?

Jessica Shambora agradeció a Elaine Christensen
  • kaliyan
    hace 8 años
    Definitely divided!
    Jessica Shambora agradeció a kaliyan
  • qam999
    hace 8 años

I have the (for me) perfect setup:

1) a large single sink for cleanup and dishwashing, next to the dishwasher

2) a small prep sink in the island, for cleaning vegetables, drinking water, hot water dispensing, cooking, and draining pasta

My kitchen is not large (12' x 18'), but I happily use both sinks every day. It's perfect for 2 or more cooks, but also great even for a single cook, as cooking and cleaning are naturally separated

Jessica Shambora agradeció a qam999
  • hsmeghan
    hace 8 años

When my hubby offered to buy me a new sink and faucet for our first Christmas in our new home (2013), it took me until the following July to choose what I wanted. I knew I wanted a bigger sink than the tiny divided one that was here and that I wanted a single bowl because I was tired of not being able to fit the dishes into the sink to wash them. I couldn't even get a 9x13 cake pan into one of the divided sinks! It was that small.

I chose this American Standard sink system from Lowe's along with this tall restaurant style faucet from Giagni and I love it all. There is a large one-bowl sink with a portable "extra sink" of stainless steel with a drain (like a glorified dishpan) that fits right into the edge of the sink. Plus a smaller colander and a bamboo cutting board that set right into and on top of the sink. With these components I can configure things for any need I have. My roasting pan, etc, fits right into the big sink and the little porta-sink lifts right out of the way when I don't need or want it. The cutting board and colander are revolutionizing the way I process veggies. And the faucet is great too -- spray or stream at the touch of a button and reaches all over the sink with the spring system.

So, I voted for one large sink, but in reality I vote for this flexible system that gives you so much versatility!

Jessica Shambora agradeció a hsmeghan
  • PRO
    Ritzman Construction LLC
    hace 8 años

I have a divided sink with one side larger than the other. I use the smaller side to wash and the large size to rinse, unless I am washing large pots and pans.

When we resurfaced our kitchen and I had thought about using one large sink, but I decided against it because I wanted to have separate areas for washing and rinsing.

Jessica Shambora agradeció a Ritzman Construction LLC
  • mirador
    hace 8 años

@Elaine Christensen - noemibbb's sink is made by Blanco, a German manufacturer. Don't know about cwoodstock's, but it's similar to my own sink (which I have always loved) that is a Kohler Lakefield.

Jessica Shambora agradeció a mirador
  • moenna
    hace 8 años

Interestingly, when I grew up in England, nobody ever actually rinsed dishes. Even quite recently, I met a lady who remarked upon it. Dishes were washed by one person and often, another dried them with a 'tea towel' and put them away. My grandmother, actually washed dishes in a small bowl in the pantry. Water was heated over the fire and poured into this bowl. All dishes and food were kept in the pantry. Only the coal fire, with an oven each side in which to cook was actually in the kitchen. That, and a large stone sink with cold water and a small mirror on the wall above. In this sink, everyone washed, brushed teeth, did small laundry etc. And this my grandmother worked quite well, bringing up 12 children. One boy first and then 11 girls! Big clothes, sheets etc., were all washed in a big metal tub, outside in the garden. Then put through a 'mangle' and hung on a line to dry. This was in Wales, where it often rains, so clothes were quickly brought in and hung on a 'clothes horse', in front of the fire to dry. Didn't really seem to do anyone any harm. All my aunts lived to be in their 80's and 90's and we buried my grandmother on her 101st birthday.

• User
    hace 8 años

moenna: hello - yes I remember all that stuff from my grandmother's & great grandmother's homes, they lived on 2 floors of the same 1850 terraced house in London's West Hampstead (now a very, very expensive townhouse!!) - all the things you said brought back so many memories, especially the rain and the laundry all hanging around in the house trying to dry (:>). My family lived just up the street & my mother got her first washing machine when I was 14 years old (1954) , it had a wringer on the top and you still had to hang the laundry up to dry. Actually laundry was always done on Monday's and if you were lucky and got it dry, the ironing was done onTuesdays - my mother was a stay-home mum, and got her first job when we kids had grown up, but she didn't know how to cope because she couldn't work out how to keep up with the housework & laundry, so she gave up her job after a few weeks - so happy to have my washer/dryer pair these days, and it is all so simple now ! But they are very precious memories of 'some-things-so-lovely' and 'some-things-so-much-harder'. Things have changed for the better in lots of ways in the lucky one third of the world !! We should never forget how lucky we are. It was lovely to read your story - thank-you !

• hsmeghan
    hace 8 años

moenna and Veronica, thank you so much for sharing your fascinating stories of times gone by. It seems to me that each culture learns to live and cope with what they have at hand, whether it be coal fires or electric stoves. And here we are discussing this on the internet with our computers. Amazing how things have changed over the years!

• PRO
    Kitchen to Bath Concepts
    hace 8 años

Both types of sinks work equally well depending on the actual user and what is important to them - a larger sink or divided separate sinks.

• moenna
    hace 8 años

Yes, Veronica and hsmeghan, such memories. I forgot to add, that my grandmother, with all those children, had no indoor bathroom. However, her big Victorian house, was considered extremely modern in those days. This, because she actually had a flush toilet, attached to the house and down the garden path. Pretty cold in Wales and especially in the winter. I remember the wonderful Victorian toilet bowl, which was all of Willow Pattern with a regularly scrubbed, wood seat. The walls were whitewashed once a year.

• User
    hace 8 años

moenna: Love the sound of that Willow patterned toilet ! I didn't have to go down a path, but the toilet did have an outside door when I was small, we left there when I was 15 to a house with a bathroom. You are from my favorite place on the planet - Wales - spent many a summer holiday there camping with my 4 kids in Snowdonia by the beach at Dinas Dinlle at first with a tent then in a Camper - camping no longer allowed by this beach (:<) - I can smell the sea now ! I went back again 6 yrs ago and would love do that one more time altho I'm 75 now so will not be going over too many more times ! Best regards from a fellow Brit !

• moenna
    hace 8 años

If I concentrate, I can still smell Wales and the fresh air, up in the mountains. You and I are the same age, so do you remember chamber pots? Those without indoor toilets - and that was most of us, all had one under the bed. And yes, I'm still homesick for all the conveniences we didn't have. Still do my dishes by hand, have a washer and dryer but hand wash almost all my laundry and hang it outside. Still don't even mind ironing.

• User
    hace 8 años

Yes I do remember those chamber pots - they were practical ! They disappeared slowly after the war - no doubt there are a few still around - with flowers planted in them !

• Laurel Ennis
    hace 8 años

We got a single sink and I hate it. We aren't do-the-dishes-right-away kind of people, dishes sit in our sink a bit. With a double sink the dirty dishes waiting for the washer to be empty can sit in one side while you use the other for everyday sink things.

• Suzy Allman
    hace 8 años
    I like Kohler's Whitehaven double sink, because the divider sits a little low. This means you can have a large sink when you need it, and/or two smaller sinks when you're doing a little wash.
  • Suzy Allman
    hace 8 años
    I like Kohler's Whitehaven double sink, because the divider sits a little low. This means you can have a large sink when you need it, and/or two smaller sinks when you're doing a little wash.
  • PRO
    Abbie Jacobson Design&Decoration
    hace 8 años

i've personally had both & prefer divided. professionally it's 50/50 for my clients who are opting for under mount single sinks and apron front double bowls.

• PRO
    RCKsinks Inc.
    hace 8 años

New to the market a few months ago, the Reality Design by RCKsinks Inc.

Reality Sink · Más información
    A large bowl area will hold any size pot or cookie sheet, yet only 5 gallons of water fills it 3" up . No tub needed.
    Slanted drain board with the built-in, removable dish rack, always there when you need it. Out of sight when you don't.
    Outstanding for islands and peninsulas. It fits a standard 36" or 900 mm cabinet. Frees up all the room in the sinkbase..no more using it for the Rubbermaid storage!

• PRO
    Paul Davis Remodeling of Greenville & Spartanburg
    hace 8 años
    How about a "compromise"? Our new sink is semi-divided and nice and deep. I also love the roll out drying rack and set in cutting board accessories.
  • PRO
    Hicks Heating & Air
    hace 8 años

The low center, divided might work for some, but I don't see the point of the "reality sink". Just having a place to drain dishes misses the point of most posters.....we don't want to give up counter space unless it is for large pots and pans.

It seems the choice difference is between those who want a very large bowl for washing large items, and those who want two sides so they can leave dirty dishes inside the sink, or at least wash on one side and drain on the other, but have two full bowls to do so. The reality sink just appears to take up counter space with very little advantage....we can use a cutting board or drain rack on our countertop to drain dishes if they are going to be that visible, and we still lose the extremely large basin for washing sheet pans and large kettles. I'm sure there will be some who like the clean lines and design, but to be honest, the design missing from the market, the big seller we need, is the sink with the adjustable divider that raises to separate one very large sink into two bowls. Imho

• PRO
    Paul Davis Remodeling of Greenville & Spartanburg
    hace 8 años
    Well I guess there are as many opinions as there are sinks so no single design is going to work for everyone. My "reality" sink takes up no more space than the sink it replaced. And since I use the dishwasher for most items except knives and pots and pans, I like having them drain over the sink instead of strewn across the counter on a drying mat (as I did before). The cutting board is just a convenience when cutting items that will create scrap for the disposal-keeping that mess in one spot. I probably won't use that too often but it's a nice option to have. Also, the drying rack rolls up (and out) easily so if I did want to hide dirty dishes I could hide them even better under the rack!
  • PRO
    RCKsinks Inc.
    hace 8 años

Actually, the Reality Design takes very little precious counterspace..the final opening is just 32" total. Pretty typical cut out for larger sinks. I've been designing kitchens for 32 years, so I have a tendency to see the overall use of a space in total . As a work station, you simply have to account for the fact that after you wash something you need to put it somewhere. Much like a range is both a cooktop and an oven, a sink needs some kind of rack to put things down on or into. How efficient is a cooktop if you had no wall oven? Now (almost) everyone in this conversation will end up using some form of dish rack ( besides the one in their dishwasher) . And they take up counterspace when in use, and they take up cabinet space when they are put away. Not to mention having to drag the dang thing out is just that much more you have to do..

There are many advantages to the 75/25 twin bowl , which is why we are working on that as our next design model.

The rack has the same square inch area as a full size Rubbermaid, but takes up only 12" of counter

Because of it's efficient design, it still holds all the pots and pans and plates and such for a family of four for a weekday dinner.

I don't see the harm of letting people know they have choices they may not currently be aware of, Imho

• User
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

SPAM. Hawk your wares by buying an ad.

• Mary Pollock
    hace 8 años

I have a large stainless single bowl at home, by choice, & a double bowl at the beach cottage, because that's what came with it. I prefer the single bowl. I like the idea of the recessed rack. Thanks for sharing the info, Joseph!

• monika2024
    hace 8 años

my parents and my inlaws have divided- used to be the trend years ago i guess- now everyone I know is going single (NJ). I HATE the double- can't fit large pots pans to soak them. Plus who does dishes by hand anymore? you rinse and stick em in the dishwasher no need to worry about the sink filling up.

I have NEVER had the need for a double sink.

• carolkelley
    hace 8 años

@monika2024, lots of people do the dishes by hand. I've been doing the dishes by hand for 10 years and even when we renovate our kitchen and finally replace our dishwasher, I'll still need to wash some things out by hand. In my opinion, the perfect kitchen would have both a large single sink and a double sink because they are both useful. I do want a large single, though. I can wash not only large pots and my roasting pan, but give my Shih tzu a bath, too.

• PRO
    Hicks Heating & Air
    hace 8 años

Sophie, don't worry about them spamming the conversation. If anything, they hurt themselves, surely didn't impress people. It's clear they are only trying to sell and didn't actually pay attention to what people were saying. It's so obvious, since the so called "reality sink" misses the whole point of this conversation. If it only takes up 32" of counter space, and has a 12" side draining rack, it actually only has about 20" left for the so-called large bowl....hardly enough for large pans!

It is an example of a manufacturer trying to "sell" you something based on THEIR perception of what people want, not what people really want. Those who prefer two bowl sinks want a deep side for their dishes to drain, those who don't mind someone seeing them drain can simply use a counter drying rack and enjoy a truly large single bowl. The "reality sink" is actually the OPPOSITE of what people in this conversation want.

The ideal sink would be a large single bowl, with a sliding, waterproof divider that dropped down to allow for a large bowl, but could be slid up when you wanted to separate into two. The top of the divider could be designed that it covered the slot when recessed, so that gunk didn't get into it. I would call it the "everything sink"! Haha

• Belahn
    hace 8 años

I hate sinks with the stupid bar in the middle.

• Ben Hart
    hace 8 años

Big single all the way.

I have used divided sinks for my entire life... since I started in the kitchen at age 3. Never knew anything else, until this:

We just installed a 42" slate sink (found it on Craigslist for a steal and did a DIY refurbish) and we LOVE it. It is the best thing about our new kitchen! It is so easy to clean (slate is non-porous and impervious to stains), it is a dream to work in, and it looks really sharp.

If you we need to soak anything (say cleaning fruit in a vinegar wash), we just put them one of our big stainless steel bowls and put that in the sink. We still have plenty of room for dishes, washing veggies, etc. Also, you do not need to dry your handwashing on the counters. We use a 10" wide stainless shelf rack and dry everything on that... we still have 32" of sink left, so there is plenty of room to keep working!

For bigger jobs, like when we do 15 gallons of applesauce and 15 gallons of ACV, we can flood the sink and wash about 50 bazillion apples in it.

So, in short, after a lifetime of cooking in kitchens with double sinks, it took just two weeks working in a big single to convince me there really is no other way... for us at least. :)

• Bev
    hace 8 años

Having only one sink makes washing dishes and other kitchen duties so much longer.

• carolkelley
    hace 8 años
    @benhart, your sink is beautiful and functional and so is the rest of your kitchen reno.
  • abeynorm
    hace 8 años

Tremendous amount of discussion over this. I have a small kitchen and there is no room for a double sink or a large sink. I rinse the dishes in the single sink and put them in the dishwasher and use the dishwasher frequently and it works fine. What ever works for you is fine also.

• Christine Balderas
    hace 8 años
    I have a divided sink one side is large and deep and the other sink is smaller where I do most of my washing, unless I am doing large items then I switch to the larger sink. I went to a friends house that had one sink and she had a plastic wash tub sitting in it. That look certainly wasn't classic.
    I am always using my double sinks at the same time. I can't image only having one sink to wash and rinse in.
  • Christine Balderas
    hace 8 años
    I have a divided sink one side is large and deep and the other sink is smaller where I do most of my washing, unless I am doing large items then I switch to the larger sink. I went to a friends house that had one sink and she had a plastic wash tub sitting in it. That look certainly wasn't classic.
    I am always using my double sinks at the same time. I can't image only having one sink to wash and rinse in.
  • Ben Hart
    hace 8 años

Thanks a ton, @carolkelley! It took a lot of hard work. :)

• J. .
    hace 7 años

I would love a 36" 40/60 split. There's room for a dishdrainer in the smaller side (I don't want one on my counter!), but plenty of room to wash larger pots/pans in the bigger side.

• PRO
    Mega Builders
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

Divided is more pragmatic me thinks.

• Mary Nigro
    hace 7 años

I have been rethinking this for new build. Now I have 55/45 split. Small side has garbage disposal. I have been thinking so many people like the one large , maybe I should re think my process. It really is all about your process and how you manage dirty dishes. My husband finally said we are over 55 and been doing dishes in a double sink for thirty years plus do we really need a new process? I guess it is hard to teach an old dog new tricks! So double it is but not so deep! 9 inches plus countertop depth of an undermount =sore back

• larson11967
    hace 7 años

I love a two-compartment sink: one for washing and one for rinsing. I wash the really big stuff (roasters, etc.) in the utility sink in the laundry. I also like the option of being able to use the disposal in one sink when the other sink is full of water.

• qam999
    hace 7 años

jjnman12, it's well known we can all add a little spice to our longterm marriages by learning new things and having new experiences. In your case, perhaps it will be "single sink bowl kitchen procedures"!

• Mary Nigro
    hace 7 años

Yeah! Maybe I should go crazy!LOL!

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.