Houzz Logo Print
charpell

Hardwood stairs to join two levels with natural hickory - indecisive

charpell
hace 8 años

We have natural hickory flooring on the main level of our house and are about to run the same flooring throughout the upper level. The narrow staircase is currently carpeted. We want to replace the carpet with hardwood (with a carpet runner for safety) and replace the handrail at the same time. I don't like the look of a light handrail (natural hickory colour), but I think the ebony stained look would be too stark / jarring. What we are thinking of doing is putting natural hickory (or ash, or maple) treads, white painted pickets, and a slightly darker stained hickory (or ash, or maple) handrail and post. I am thinking that if we have the rail and post at least two stain colours darker than the flooring and treads it will be enough contrast without it looking too stark. Does this sound reasonable? Attached is a photo of our fireplace in the living room. You can see the tone of the hickory floors. The built ins and mantle are topped with oak that is stained a little bit darker than natural. I'm thinking maybe we could piggy back off of that mantle tone to repeat on the handrail (which starts in hallway adjacent to the LR). Maybe we should even do the handrail and post in oak (???). So two questions, I guess. First, is the overall idea of having the handrail slightly darker than the treads and flooring an ok idea. And second, any advice on the wood species for the treads, rail, and post?

Comentarios (13)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 8 años

I would stay withe same wood if possible and I think the handrail a bit darker will look great.

charpell agradeció a Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • ferrshi
    hace 8 años

we used hickory florring and staircase because of its hardness but opted for custom "turnings" on the post and spindles

charpell agradeció a ferrshi
  • PRO
    McQuaid Flooring, Inc.
    hace 8 años

Absolutely I would stay with the Hickory treads, you do not want to change species in flooring when it is a continuation throughout the home. Secondly, staining your handrails and posts a few shades darker is absolutely the right thing to do. This will give you a beautiful contrast to your flooring and at the same time make your white spindles pop.

charpell agradeció a McQuaid Flooring, Inc.
  • PRO
    Artistic Stairs Ltd.
    hace 8 años

You would be safe going with Oak for the handrail and newel post with the same darker stain as your mantle. The black railing would look great too as suggested by egee above with the carpet runner tying it all together.

charpell agradeció a Artistic Stairs Ltd.
  • emile23
    hace 8 años

Here is an observation: You have the flooring (beautiful but multi-toned), and the fireplace & surrounding cabinets in white, the darker stained oak cabinet tops--and don't forget that you have multi-toned tile(?) hearth. There is already a lot going on here. I would think you should maybe stick with one of the hickory tones so that it doesn't just get too busy.

charpell agradeció a emile23
  • charpell
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thanks for all of the comments. ferrshi, thanks for posting the picture - your post is stunning! We've decided to go with hickory treads (natural), and a slightly darker stain on the handrail and posts. We haven't settled on a wood species for the rail and posts - waiting on input from our stair manufacturer regarding what they would recommend. I know some woods don't accept stain evenly so if they feel hickory falls into that category we will consider doing the rail and posts in oak.

• C K
    hace 8 años

Definitely try to stay with hickory or a similar grained wood for the railing in a deeper tone such as the top of your mantle and built-ins or the deepest tone of the natural hickory floors. Oak will work but the stair rail and posts have more visual impact than the shelves. White spindles would relate well to the fireplace wall and break up all of the wood tones. The runner idea is good to soften it all; it will cut down on sound transfer and it is safer. Please post photos when you have it finished!

• jdemaster
    hace 8 años

In choosing your stain color, keep in mind that your hickory will darken somewhat in time.

• PRO
    Mills Design Build
    hace 8 años

Unless your want a country look, I would go with a clear material for handrail. If you do decide to go with a different species of wood from flooring to railing I would break up the two materials with a painted post, and do the post cap to match railing.

I like select maple because the grain pattern is similar, there is a concern with staining maple, perhaps do a sample.

• Liz MacGillis
    hace 8 años

I have a question for you.... i love your tile you used for your firplace ...what is it ? Tile or Slate or what ? Awesome...i just redid my fireplace and built a mantel... need to still do the hearth...

• PRO
    Business_Name_Placeholder
    hace 8 años

You did the right thing by going with the hickory for your treads. Doing so keeps the flow throughout the home. As far as the rail and post, you already used oak in your living room for the accent woods, why not do the same for your hall way. It certainly won't look out of place. Hickory has so many varying colors you could go with so many different stains as long as it's the same tones as in the hickory, but if you like how the living room oak looks, I would use the same stain to tie it all together.

• charpell
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Liz MacGillis, I'm sorry for the late reply. The fireplace hearth is tiled in porcelain tile from a company called Unicom. It is the Natural colour. http://www.ceramictileworksmn.com/Natural

We love this tile and used the "Autumn" colour in our front foyer area. We plan on using Autumn in the mudroom (which will be part of an addition we are planning). There is a picture here on Houzz of a kitchen tiled in the Autumn colour as well:

Transitional Kitchen · Más información

My inlaw's used the "Winter" colour in their ensuite. It has a bit of pink running in and out of it, and I'm not fond of the pink-ishness.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.