corder84

Help! Need ideas for exterior remodel. Poor 1970's addition problem.

corder84
hace 8 años

Remodeling this old brick cottage with porch addition as well as a very shoddy upstairs addition from the 1970's. Will be placing new architectural shingles and painting the brick as it is in very rough cosmetic shape in certain areas. Need ideas to make this roofline more aesthetically pleasing? Toying with the idea of expanding the addition all the way across the house for symmetry? Faux dormers? One large gable where porch slope is?

If anyone has examples or ideas please send my way! Thanks!

Comentarios (23)

• corder84
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Would you recommend breaking up the roofing material? Metal on the addition vs shingles on rest of the house? When you see the house head on it looks the worst, I may upload a photo if I have one..

• PRO
    Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
    hace 8 años

Please do post more photos...I would use one material on the roof , not two. Metal would look great, but a rugged asphalt shingle would look good too.

corder84 agradeció a Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
  • corder84
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Looks the worst from the front. Was thinking of paintings the brick a gray scale and a darker roof. But that roofline is sure funky.

• corder84
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

• PRO
    hace 8 años

I really don't mind the lines and massing of the house. A new beautiful roof will make a huge difference..... However, since it botheres you so much maybe you should be cautious before you spend the money to replace the roofing material.... Just because I like it doesn't mean that you will...... Think about having someone do a 3D Rendering for you showing a metal roof and a shingle roof with your color options prior to making the actual change.

• PRO
    Willhite Grading & Excavation Inc
    hace 8 años
    Metal roof would look great, also grubb the lot. start completely fresh with the landscape.
    corder84 agradeció a Willhite Grading & Excavation Inc
  • corder84
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

Yes- landscaping will be totally gutted. Seeing the house and its' angles (which I do like- just not particularly fond of the 70's addition) What color palette & changes would you recommend off the top of your head? Thinking a gray painted bricked, remove shutters? Shingle color?

• corder84
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

• PRO
    Willhite Grading & Excavation Inc
    hace 8 años
    Ive never seen grey painted brick but im a huge fan of grey with white trim. Think your definitely on the right track.
  • PRO
    hace 8 años

I have found a few images that might inspire you in your remodel......You can paint your brick any of these colors, or you can just leave it as brick.........

• corder84
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thanks! I was contemplating going in this direction. Black shutters, gray brick. white detail

• PRO
    hace 8 años

The grey looks good. With a metal roof it would look stunning....Maybe a silver metal roof........or a metal roof just a shade darker then your grey paint...........

• corder84
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

You think silver metal roof? I might look up some pics to get a feel for that. Was probably going to go architectural shingle like this for cost containment reasons.

• PRO
    hace 8 años

The metal roof would look fantastic, but it is more expensive. Asphalt shingles will look good too......We often specify the architectural textured asphalt shingles for that same reason.

• suezbell
    hace 8 años

If you really don't like the lines of the roof, don't even try just replacing the roof until you address the shape of it unless the current roof is failing. Figure out what you want you want the final shape of the roof to be first.

You'll also want to decide if you want any interior design changes planned that could affect the shape of the roof.

Once you've decided on the final roofline, then, yes, use the same roofing for all of the roof.

If you create a gable end (or add a gable dormer that almost does the same thing) with a window facing forward on the two story addition, it would look less like an add on and more like an attic window seeking to provide light or a window in search of a view.

http://charlesandhudson.com/photo-gallery-of-roof-types/

http://www.tompkinsconstruction.com/HomeFeatures/Details/skylights-and-dormers

If adding only a small dormer to the two story addition, you could add a matching dormer above the original roof behind the front porch.

There are a lot of different sizes and shapes from which to choose, including those that all but change the shape of the roof to a gable end or those that just add the smaller "doghouse" dormer or shed roof dormer.

https://www.google.com/search?q=image+dormer&biw=1366&bih=673&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CBwQsARqFQoTCKWoprWy38gCFUI7PgodR_EMnw&dpr=1

corder84 agradeció a suezbell
  • corder84
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thanks! I've considered going in this direction. I was curious if you guys/gals can give me a quick critique on this dormer concept (crude drawing..) I didn't think adding another gabled dormer would look necessarily better than maintaining this shed-roof style dormer. But I may be wrong because of the pre-existing gable on the bottom left of the house? Also.. not sure about scale. What do you all think?

• PRO
    hace 8 años

Adding a dormer is not going to fix what you don't like. It is just going to add another element that doesn't necessarily work with the house. I actually like the lines of the house now and would not spend money to complicate the design.....Have you priced out how much it costs to modify and replace a roof ? It is very expensive. I would only recommend it if you want to add square footage by adding a second floor.

• corder84
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Trust me I understand! It may be that I HAVE to do this.

When the original owners built that upstairs addition, they used the existing bedroom at the end of the hall and put a spiral staircase up inside of it- rendering that room essentially useless.

So as it stands now, this 3 bedroom house has a large master bedroom, this bedroom which is currently unusable, and the upstairs addition which requires you to take OFF the spiral stair case simply to get your furniture up there! This house sat on the market because of these issues.

I need to make it a 3 bedroom in order to make it livable/rentable for the area.

Cutting in risors to the left of the front door entrance up to the addition may be an option. So, essentially the stairs would lead up right through the dormer sketch you see. The dormer would possibly allow the necessary headroom for the stairwell and also add a quasi cosmetic fix?

What do you think? There is no place else to get new stairs in.. its been a real conundrum- almost to the extent of me ripping that addition off and keeping it a 2 bedroom....

• Morgan Rathbun
    hace 8 años

I love the black shutters and grey brick idea. So cute! Or even just leaving the original brick color, and painting all of the trim a crisp white, while painting the shutters black.

corder84 agradeció a Morgan Rathbun
  • PRO
    hace 8 años

I would have to see the floor plans to be able to comment .. Also where are the property lines ? Do you have any room on the sides of the house ... It sounds like you need s good residential architect to help you.

• corder84
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

There is room on the side but not sure how it would work.

-(in side photo) Just inside the bedroom window on the bottom left is that spiral staircase.... That room is a very small 1950's bedroom in size.

-(in side photo) The right bottom window is the master bedroom.

-(in back photo) The backside has an enclosed patio/sunroom that you could feasibly build upwards through. Just not sure of building on that foundation.

If you extended the addition up top all the way across the house you could essentially run stairs upwards from the old dining room area on far right side of house. Significantly more cost, but could make it a 4 bedroom house with a jack and jill bath in the addition. This would be the most elaborate version.

• PRO
    hace 8 años

I suggest that you talk to a few local architects and contractors to get an idea of how much it will cost to build.... If the cost works for you than you can hire one of the architects to design the best possible solution.... It looks like a fun and challenging project....good luck...

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.