Houzz Logo Print
carimari11

Need desperate help for rec room TV placement

Cari
hace 8 años

We recently bought our first house which has a rec room in the basement and are putting together a project plan including removing popcorn, new carpet, and possible built-ins on the far wall.

Here's our issue: We want to use this space for our TV room and keep the TV out of our more formal living areas upstairs. However, we have NO idea where to put the TV! We don't want to mount it over the fireplace, but the room is so narrow, I'm afraid the TV will dominate the far small wall. Any ideas!?!? If so, thank you so much in advance!

I've included the picture from the listing so please note this is NOT our furniture! The pieces missing from the photo for more context:

- To the right of where the photographer is standing is a long sliding glass door

- To the left of where the photographer is standing is the entry into the room from the basement stairs.

Comentarios (31)

• susan2494
    hace 8 años

Can you post room dimensions and tell me what furniture you are planning to include in the room? I can do a floor plan for you.

• Cari
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Hi Susan, thanks so much for offering to help! The room dimensions are approximately 138" x 198". We would like to keep our Ikea sectional (Karlstad with chaise) which is L-shaped and 110 3/4" x 62" at the widest part. However, we are ok with upgrading to a new furniture too!

• er612
    hace 8 años

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 8 años

Maybe something like this where you can take advantage of the fireplace and the TV opposite it mounted under the window.

Cari agradeció a BeverlyFLADeziner
  • PRO
    Shantam Interiors
    hace 8 años

I am usually against TV over fireplaces in living rooms and family area, I think TVs should have their designated place. However, in this case in order to not have conflicting focal points I would opt to have it above fireplace.

• PRO
    ABOLOS by GBM
    hace 8 años

The above layout is great because depending on your television the hot air will can go out the window if you so choose.

• susan2494
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

I find that the only way to arrange the room with your large sectional is to have it against the windows and the TV next to the FP. That will limit anyone viewing the TV from anywhere else in the room. It also makes it impossible to have the TV on the far end (short wall) as the sofa facing it will restrict access into the area.

How many people will be using the room for TV watching? I couldn't find the sofa on Ikea website so is the chaise on rt or left?

I also have no measurements from the FP to the end wall, this is the best I could see keeping your chaise sofa and really a smaller one would not do much better.

TV in corner on console and you see the rest. That is 50" TV in plan.

Cari agradeció a susan2494
  • sandradclark
    hace 8 años

I'm always in favor of susan2494's floor plans.

• susan2494
    hace 8 años

• Cari
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thank you for the good ideas all! I just realized I gave the wrong dimensions the room is actually 139x 247. Sorry! I would that create an awkward empty space with these layouts?

• Cari
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thanks Susan 4 at most will be using the tv area. And the cinder blocks of the fireplace start 100" from the wall corner

• Cari
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Oh! And it can be left or right facing chaise

• hayleydaniels
    hace 8 años

Since your fireplace is so low to the ground, I'd put the TV over it. Mind you, this is the first time I've ever suggested that, but it seems like the logical place if you want to keep the treadmill in there. Plus, the TV will be at the right viewing height so you won't have your head craned back leading to neck problems and headaches.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 8 años

Cari agradeció a BeverlyFLADeziner
  • hazelruth
    hace 8 años

Like the corner plan - we do that sometimes and it makes the tv less "front and center" but how can you avoid the big screeners!? They are massive! DH is in tv business so we have a tv in like every room! sometimes its just nice to listen to soft music or silence! Good luck on your project!! Bet it will be outstanding!

• susan2494
    hace 8 años

The new dimensions will not make that much difference as the bottom end has a slider and an entryway from stairs. Turns out I had the FP in the right position, so my plan above will work just fine. I do think the corner TV location is best for TV viewing and the 2 chairs by FP will be able to view. You didn't say how big your TV is, but I did put a 50" in plan so no problems seeing from that location.

If you want to keep treadmill, you will have room by slider and entryway and it won't be in the seating area.

• susan2494
    hace 8 años

Oops, not your treadmill. My bad :>)

• gtcircus
    hace 8 años
    This is one of the FEW rooms on HOUZZ that can accommodate a tv about the fireplace. i still don't recommend it.
  • gtcircus
    hace 8 años
    Correction, above the fireplace. They have mirror applications where you see mirror when TV is off and TV when the TV is on.

But this is a basement so go for it.
  • susan2494
    hace 8 años

Keep in mind that if the TV is above FP or on opposite wall, people are going to have to turn in their seats to watch it unless the sofa is directly across from it. Not a comfortable position. Functionality is important and if the room is to be used to watch TV, then place your seating accordingly. If all 4 people in the house are comfortable sitting on just the sofa, then put it in front of the TV and forget about the 2 chairs. But, if someone likes their own space, then it is important to make their viewing the TV from a chair comfortable and relaxing.

Cari agradeció a susan2494
  • Susan Davis
    hace 8 años

Susan you are consistently on pointe for ideas and floor plans.

• susan2494
    hace 8 años

@soosun2, thank you.

• Alexandra
    hace 8 años
    Sorry, not a fan of a corner console. It throws the balance of the room off. I would leave the console against the fireplace wall. If you need the tv on an angle, get a wall bracket for the wall that has an extendable arm if you need to adjust angle of the tv.
  • susan2494
    hace 8 años

Why would you have an adjustable arm for the TV, if you had to adjust it every time you turned on the TV. More than likely that it would just stay in the same "adjustable" position 99% of the time, No different than having it in the corner and just turn it on and watch TV?????? This is a classic example of arranging a room for design only and not for the needs of the family that lives there.

• Cari
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

What software are you all using to do the mock ups?

• Alexandra
    hace 8 años
    Susan, you don't have to adjust it all the time. You adjust it once and it will stay there as long as you want. You also have an option of putting the tv flat agaist the wall if you want to hide it or put it away. It's a simple modern bracket.
  • Alexandra
    hace 8 años
    It's a difference between an imbalanced, bulky tv stand at the end and a "hidden" tv stand.
  • susan2494
    hace 8 años

I am using the software from Thomasville.

• susanalanandwrigley
    hace 8 años

I'm with Susan2494 here, chances are you would never do anything but have the TV rotated for viewing anyway, and in addition when you mount a TV you then have to figure out where to put all the adjunct stuff, like cable/DVR boxes, storage for remotes, storage for DVDs. Makes more sense to me in this space to find a corner unit that fits your aesthetic and put the TV there. I have a TV with doors that can close it off in a hutch (bought before the age of flat screens etc), and in the 17 or so yrs I've owned that unit, I can probably count on one hand the number of times I've closed the doors. I thought it was important when I bought it, but in reality, it's a TV watching room, and having the TV out in the open is not a problem. I'm not a designer, so maybe there is a designer perspective that I am missing here, but functionally and practically, based on how most families would use the space, the corner unit is most sensible.

• PRO
    Tontine Carpet One Floor & Home
    hace 8 años

I have seen many TV's mounted above fireplaces in the last few years.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.