Houzz Logo Print
yarosman

Mudroom near front or closer to back?

yarosman
hace 8 años

We have a closed off mudroom in the plans for our new home (to keep clutter out of sight) but I'm having trouble deciding if it should be at the front of the house (has an exterior door close to the front of the house that leads into 'formal' entryway) or further back (exterior door further down the driveway, enters into narrow hallway closer to kitchen). Benefit of it up close is that it's easier access to kids, as this will (hopefully) be their way in and out of house and will move all living areas (including formal living room) further back as one area with nothing breaking it up) Benefit of mudroom further back is that living room is at front of house (true center hall), groceries are closer to kitchen and front becomes formal area and back of house is daily living (but not sure if this last one is a benefit or makes the living room less usable). And go!

Comentarios (8)

• Jillian - Interior design student
    hace 8 años

Where is the garage in relation to these options?

• yarosman
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Detached. Will park in driveway.

• Maureen
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

I had a mudroom/side door further back and the kids never used it and headed to the front door. I suppose it could have been "enforced" for lack of a better word and eventually it would have become routine - but I didn't like its location or how it functioned - steps were narrower outside and there was no large landing so kids were struggling with key and their school bags/hockey bags, etc. and inside it was tight for large storage. You have defined the pros and cons to each - but what works better for everyone in your family and does either location provide room layout options that outweight the other - will your washer/dryer be in here as well and how much floor space would each have, if you have a large dog, would either accommodate a small shower stall. I think it's location has to be considered but also the actual room's specifics/set up for everyone to want to use daily.

yarosman agradeció a Maureen
  • yarosman
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thanks for your response Maureen; that's one of the things I'm concerned about with moving it back. My husband thinks they'll for sure just end up using front door if we move it.

• lucidos
    hace 8 años

You can always create two. A smaller entry for the kids use in the front and the larger one in the back that doubles as a pantry overflow. Would need to see the layout to determine the viability.

That being said when we were growing up the front door was only used for company. Even our friends came to the back door.

yarosman agradeció a lucidos
  • PRO
    Furniture Design Gallery Inc
    hace 8 años

I have seen some new houses in our area where they have two front entry ways. One is the main one and then a little further down near the garage is another one. I think that would be a great place for the second mud room. Kids can come in from school and just unload right there! :)

yarosman agradeció a Furniture Design Gallery Inc
  • Judy Mishkin
    hace 8 años

have a front door that guests use. if there is a second door nearby they'll be confused and end up at your mudroom.

carry groceries the shortest distance.

and for heavens sake train your children to use the door you want them to. lock the other one if necessarly. they learn so many things... not to touch hot stoves, not to wear muddy boots in bed at night.. they can learn to use the door that isnt locked. ; )

yarosman agradeció a Judy Mishkin
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.