Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_268753

Now what? Red oak floor looks green!

User
hace 8 años

Our contractor put down a new hardwood floor (red oak) for our kitchen remodel. It looked great before stain. The idea was to match it to the adjacent living/dining area, where the hardwood is brown with pinkish tones. BUT... the new floor is now stained (and has one coat of poly) and it doesn't match at all - it's very uneven and some of the boards are looking very yellow, almost green!

How should we deal with this? We can resand and start over, but how? Will any stain make the two floors blend together? Can we counteract the green tones? (We are planning to install walnut cabinetry, and the walnut looks terrible next to the yellow/green floor.)

Help! and thank you for any suggestions!

Comentarios (8)

• PRO
    Wood Custom Homes
    hace 8 años
    Since the poly has been installed, it will need to be sanded. A darker stain will do a better job of making the different wood colors have a consistent finish color.
    User agradeció a Wood Custom Homes
  • suzyq53
    hace 8 años

So sorry. What a drag! Yep you need to sand both rooms and go much darker. This is a problem with red oak. You never know what you're going to get, so always sample stain on multiple pieces first. White oak is more predictable. I'd have them sand it in the doorway where you can check both surfaces with some stain colors to be sure.

User agradeció a suzyq53
  • User
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Sanding both rooms is not an option, unfortunately, so we need to find the best way to treat the new floor and have it work with the existing older floor. A darker stain is probably a good way to go, but not so dark that the contrast between the two rooms is extreme...

• suzyq53
    hace 8 años

lele - Then just go with a darker stain in the new area. Why did they poly over if you weren't happy with the stain?

• PRO
    PaintColorHelp.com Dallas
    hace 8 años

Lele, if they say it's possible to sand only the new area, without disturbing the adjacent floor, that's what you'll have to do to change the color. I've never seen red oak take stain like this. The usual problem, and one on which I was consulted just this last week, is how to keep it from going too red or orange. I can't imagine what produced those almost green tones. What color/brand of stain was used on the new wood? And do you know what stain was used on the previous floor next to it? To get the floors looking even vaguely similar, you're going to have to use a different color on the new wood. Ideally, you would take a couple pieces of the bare new wood -including one of the greener boards- along with a finished piece of the previous floor (perhaps salvaged from a closet) and give it to a custom matcher at a paint store. They would then create a custom formula that gets the new wood as close to the old as reasonably possible. Barring that, they'll need to sand bare all the new area. Then tape off 3 or 4 BIG sections at the doorway junction of the old room. There they can put down samples of colors they think might match, and you just go with the best one. If it's a brand like Duraseal that can't be tinted because of the square jugs it comes in, you can alternatively mix different colors at some ratio to get the tone you want. A light coat of poly should be applied to each sample (taking care not to overspray other areas), because that ambers/enriches the wood and affects the final look. If you want to contact me directly, feel free, info@paintcolorhelp.com. There are a lot more technical details I can share if you wish.

User agradeció a PaintColorHelp.com Dallas
  • User
    hace 8 años

White oak has greenish undertones where red oak has pink undertones. You'll never get the two to match.

• zellycat2
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

Is it possible it's tannin pull? It's usually more of a problem with white oak and not all the time but are you positive they put a strain down first?

Did they maybe use a water based poly directly onto fresh wood instead?

Paint color help - would any paint store be able to help, like a Sherwin Williams? (My stain guy didn't make enough custom mix and I doubt he'll be able to replicate it.)

OP - what was the resolution?

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.