mdcasorio

Need Help with Island Kitchen Counter Top

mdcasorio
hace 8 años

Today I had the counter top in my kitchen installed which is mitered Taj
Mahal Quartz. The home I am building is a split level. When you walk through
the front door you are at eye level with the kitchen island counter top
exposing your eye directly to the underneath side of the mitered slab. I need
advice direction as to how I should finish the underside.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

If anyone can help me, I would appreciate any advice.

Michael C.

Comentarios (8)

• mdcasorio
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

I was considering this as one solution but did not know if that would look like patch work, your thoughts?

• User
    hace 8 años

I don't think it will look like patchwork if it is one piece. If it matches the cabinets, the eye will not be drawn to it, and it will not even be noticed.

• PRO
    PJ Marble Kitchen Design Center
    hace 8 años

The correct way to do this is would have been for your fabricator to have the plywood go all the way across and not just the strip behind the mitre edge. We use marine grade plywood & cover the entire underside wherever the area has an overhang specifically to avoid this "unfinished" view.

• PRO
    GannonCo
    hace 8 años

That is actually a fairly neat finish as most just cut plywood to rough shape and lay it on top. Agree the above would help but you would still have to deal with the plywood.

Leaving unfinished is fairly common practice and at 36"? I am not sure without bending down how you are seeing this?

I would get paint to match your cabinet color, tape off the marble and paint the exposed wood. It would all blend in. Again, I would like to see a photo from the door at eye level.

I think it looks fine and there is no shoddy work obviously visible here. Hey, sometimes we have to stick up for the contractor. Looks great to me?

• lefty47
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

HI -- No one said the contractor did anything wrong or shoddy . Just get the cabinet company to install a thin gable panel that matches your cabinets . Or you could put a thin piece of Masonite under and stain or paint it a dark color as close to the wood color . Or a panel of galvanized metal or stainless steel or a Formica laminate material can be applied . This actually should have been for the kitchen designer to remedy after bring it to their attention and not the contractor .

• Kate O'Toole
    hace 7 años
    I'm so glad you asked this as I have the same problem. living in a split level, you can clearly see the underside of countertop overhang. I was thinking of having a piece of wood attached to the underside that would be painted the same color as cabinet but I still think it might be wierd. I was also considering adding an apron to hide it but I don't think it will be think enough to hide.
  • Kate O'Toole
    hace 7 años
    can you update with what you decided to do???
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.