Houzz Logo Print
mgfeltham

Should I remove lathe prior to hanging Beadboard?

MaryGrace
hace 8 años
The stairwell in my Victorian bungalow is a mess. Last owners made a paneled closet out of it. Removing the closet wall exposed crumbling plaster and rough lathe. We are currently removing all wall coverings. The lathe though is very old and uneven. Should we remove all the lathe to expose the framing studs? Will that create a better surface for the Beadboard paneling? It's scary to think about cutting away the lathe but if it will create a more even surface then we'll do it. Opinions?

Comentarios (16)

• Judy Mishkin
    hace 8 años

without plaster you dont *need* the lath and would have a hard time getting rid of the plaster bits for a smooth install of the beadboard. be prepared for some wacky studs, and some shims might be needed here and there but maybe not.

• kpappal
    hace 8 años
    These walls remind me of ones in a 125 year old house my husband and I remodeled about 15 years ago. I agree with previous poster. Remove the lathe, shims the studs
    As needed, and add insulation to any exterior walls before installing new breadboard. Good luck!
  • kpappal
    hace 8 años
    Don't add breadboard! Much to dirty in there for bread at this point. Beadboard will work though!
  • hayleydaniels
    hace 8 años

I'd go down to the bear studs, clean things up and then add your beadboard or whatever you want.

• MaryGrace
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Would you recommend using a reciprocating saw to cut lath from studs or just pry it away?
  • northwindgirl
    hace 8 años

My girlfriend wire brushed her lath and put a coat of clear poly on it and trimmed it out with a cream or putty color trim and it looks awesome!! Very old colonial house.

• hayleydaniels
    hace 8 años

You'd have to see what worked the best. If you have a pry bar and can pry the lathe off the stud easily, go for it. One way or the other you're going to be pulling nails or pounding them in depending on which is easier. Try youtube for videos on how to remove it.

• MaryGrace
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Third day of demolition. What slow, dusty work!
  • PRO
    Sagent Builders
    hace 8 años

Please ware a respirator, and ventilate the room while working.

The dust may contain Lead or asbestos particles.

And yes I would take it down to the studs.

• MaryGrace
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Not sure how old my house is but there is bark on the back of the lath. Any ideas?
  • MaryGrace
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Day 4 done. Plaster down. Working on lath.
  • MaryGrace
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Progress!
  • evilfij
    hace 8 años
    Don't forget some trim on the joints between the ceiling and the walls. Nice work. 3/4in real beadboard would have been nicer, but for that space I don't see it being needed.
  • MaryGrace
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Progressing. Trimmed out stairwell and paint. Installed salvage window in wall to add natural light to the stairs. Handrail next.
  • northwindgirl
    hace 8 años

What My friend with her lath

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.