Houzz Logo Print
lindamryan

Help Again! Do I need 2 rugs for my large and long (18 x 35) den?

lindamryan
hace 8 años

I'm back again for some help on area rugs. I have an 8x10 area rug over my laminate flooring for the TV seating area. I'd like a seating area around the fireplace. Right now I have one recliner and with the way I have the TV area furniture arranged, not sure if I have room for 2 chairs around the fireplace. May stick with one and a small table and lamp. However, I think I need a rug for that area but not sure what size and where to place. The room is very long (35 ft.). My friend suggested I order the same rug as I have down already. The colors work well with the paisley recliner. I am unsure about the size to order (it only comes in 5x7 or 8x10) and how to place it. I ordered the 8x10 and woke up panicking that I ordered the wrong size. Also, I love my laminate floors and want some of the flooring to be visible. What to do? I'll post some photos below.

Comentarios (9)

• lindamryan
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Meaning, I suppose, let the order go through for the 8x10? Thanks you for your advice.

• glschisler
    hace 8 años
    You could always layout newspapers or painters tape the are you want to rugs to fit. Then measure that area to determine rug size needed.
  • PRO
    ModernRugs
    hace 8 años

Only if you aren't going to regret it! It seems like you have the space for it. If it matches with color already and is the same size of the other rug pictured, you should be fine.

lindamryan agradeció a ModernRugs
  • grapefruit1_ar
    hace 8 años

I agree. Measure to see the size you need, and get the same carpet. My other, unsolicited comment, is to remove the window shades. Your windows will look great with fabric treatments....grommet top panels that can be closed easily when needed. Your home is beautiful.

lindamryan agradeció a grapefruit1_ar
  • lindamryan
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

I love my 8x10 carpet and it looks great with the paisley chair as well. The problem is that I think an area rug is supposed to define a space and act as an anchor. I think I need to get the rest of the pieces together in the "fireplace" side of the room and then get a rug. Right now all I have is the paisley chair for the fireplace. I have space under the window for perhaps two small chairs and a table. I also have a rather ugly, big office desk (which I am replacing) in a small alcove in the room and need to keep a desk there for the time being - I don't have a dedicated office room. That desk doesn't necessarily have to be "anchored" to the seating area but I am thinking an 8x10 might look too big. I dragged an old 5x7 into the room and that is not right either! I cancelled the order just to give myself more time to think it through. Will this "thinking" ever end LOL! Thanks very much for your comments and your compliments.

• PRO
    Bockrath Flooring & Rugs
    hace 8 años

Linda, You are correct the rug is to define and anchor a space. Once you make your other selections for the room you'll then have a better idea of size, scale, and pattern. If you find that you're in need of a custom size I'd encourage you to stop by our showroom. We have a large selection of carpet and rugs that can be modified to what ever size is needed. Our sales consultants can assist you, even make house calls to determine your needs. Our Custom Rug Studio solves a lot of problems that come with standard rug sizes.

lindamryan agradeció a Bockrath Flooring & Rugs
  • lindamryan
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

This is to respond to grapefruit1's "unsolicited" comment about window treatments. I've been grappling with that decision too and finally ended up ordering top down/bottom up roman shades - in this way I can lower them from the top to see more of the trees and less of the "bad" view. And against lots of advice, I ordered them in a textured "red" shade and hope I don't live to regret it. As soon as they are up, I'll post photos. Still thinking about the semi-circle treatment.

• decoenthusiaste
    hace 8 años

8x10 is not a really large rug. Since it will go in front of the FP, I'd make sure it anchors the area by being as wide or 2 feet wider than the hearth.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.