Houzz Logo Print
tommyflan

Microwaves - hot or not?

Tom Flanagan
hace 8 años
última modificación:hace 7 años

The microwave it''s been said, statistically speaking, is on its way out. Falling sales and increased health consciousness mean this once magical machine might have had its day. But there's no argument that when you're in need of a quick fix or a heat up, they still serve a purpose.

So what are your thoughts on microwaves - do you have one or do you prefer to stick things in the oven? Comment below!

Breakfast cabinet with bi-fold doors · Más información

Comentarios (37)

• Natalie Patton
    hace 8 años
    I generally don't like a microwave they're not exactly attractive, take so much counter space and I hardly ever use it but... Anyone with small children will know they are a life saver at least as a back up when the bottle warmer doesn't want to work at 3am
  • mrsmcee74
    hace 8 años
    Mine went on the fritz last year and I haven't bothered to replace it. Can't say I've missed it much, I generally only used it for warming up baked beans. Whereas my mother-in-law cooks everything in hers, even the veg for Sunday lunch.
  • Clare Ainsworth
    hace 8 años

I don't have one and I don't miss one either!

• Najeebah
    hace 8 años
    I try not to for health reasons but it is super convenient! especially for reheating refrigerated foods
  • PRO
    Stella Michael
    hace 8 años

Have never had one, not interested in getting one. Never had one growing up and know how to do everything easily without one so no loss. Am trying to slow things down not speed things up. Most things not improved by doing them faster.

• minnie101
    hace 8 años

I was bought one a year or so ago. It's just used for reheating my sons dinner if he's late (although I split crispy and non-crispy items between the oven and microwave!). It sits in the utility room as I wouldn't have space in the kitchen. I haven't used it for anything for myself yet ( hope my mum doesn't read this!)

• tamp75
    hace 8 años
    Ours broke about 18 months ago & as we were due to move we didn't replace it. Now been in new place for nearly a year & still don't have one. Will be getting a new kitchen in the next year so will probably get a built in microwave even though we've managed perfectly well without one.
  • Laura
    hace 8 años
    I don't have time to warm things up in an oven. I don't get the stigma about them being unhealthy - you can be just as unhealthy without one.
    I always makes batches of food, which gets warmed up in the micro. Plus I cook eggs, jacket potatoes, steamed veg, warm milk etc.
  • PRO
    Ensign Accessories
    hace 8 años

Unhealthy? what? Try steaming vegetables in the microwave. Put in basin, most dense (e.g. carrots) at bottom, and less (e.g. spinach) at top, put a tiny bit of butter on top, cover with cling film (do NOT prick), full power for 3 minutes for crunchy, or 4 for little less crunchy. The butter adds flavour and moisture to the already natural moisture, which then steams the vegs. Try it and tell me whether this is not the most healthy way to eat vegetables. My microwave is staying.

• User
    hace 8 años
    I have one but hardly ever use it... I guess I bought it as I thought it was a kitchen essential!
  • User
    hace 8 años

Microwaves are great for porridge, heating milk, cooking beaten eggs for egg sandwiches, cooking veg when the hob is full, I could go on and on, it is very useful. However, I would avoid having a built in microwave in future, they are very expensive and my Bosch has been replaced 3 times in 14 years. My father had his cheap microwave for 15 years and it was still going strong when he died at the age of 99 and it was in constant use all that time. The moral of this is have a pantry/utility cupboard and put your ordinary microwave in there, out of the way, but handy. If you haven't got the room still avoid a built in microwave!

• Tani H-S
    hace 8 años
    I'm use mine all the time and I don't do ready meals. Use it for steaming veg, heating up my coffee, heating up my guinea pigs heat pads in winter .. and things like soups in winter.
    It's v handy and I had mine hidden in my tambor unit so it's not on display but I can get to it easily.
    I grew up with microwaves though when my working parents used it for a lot of meals and especially the famous sponge puddings, ha ha. It's been handy and I would never not have one - even if I only used it once a month!
  • PRO
    Openplan Design
    hace 8 años

it will be a long time before we see microwaves phased out, however a strong contender is the steam oven, takes a bit longer on the re-heat but offers cracking results. we use our microwave for making rice, takes 10 minutes and gives perfect results.

• philip mills
    hace 8 años
    We have a combination microwave it's brilliant,my porridge in a morning done in 3mins what's in-healthy about that! Better than a Starbucks coffee any morning
  • rabbitingon
    hace 8 años
    I too have a combi microwave oven built in. Not had it for long but loving it so far for crispy jacket potatoes in less than half the time of the conventional oven.
  • Eva
    hace 8 años
    I wouldn't dare live without a microwave :)
  • Heather Leithes-Wilson
    hace 8 años

I batch cook my own ready meals, the freeze, which are then ready for my teenagers to reheat from frozen. Nothing unhealthy about that.

• User
    hace 8 años
    Have built in one. Use it for defrosting, half baking jacket potatoes to then finish in the oven, and heating saved excess meals like chilli and stews etc. It's a time saver so it gets a thumbs up from me.
  • Monique de Beer
    hace 8 años

I have combo microwave and have had it for 10 years without fail. What about the benefits if how much energy it saves vs an oven? I'm always conscious of how long things take in the oven and how much electricity/ gas it uses and often chose my micro over the oven for this reason.

There are of course some things that can't be cooked as well in the micro (on convention even) so I love both and couldn't live without either.

• turquoisetree53
    hace 8 años

I've been bamboozled into getting a built-in one, to save counter space, in a new kitchen, which I still resent. it is unused. At first they tried to give me a dazzling surround, looking one, at nearly €400 sterling, which I baulked at. Hate them, what's wrong with using a heavy pot/ saute pan and lid to reheat your food up in??But realise microwaves are so useful for oldies who haven't got the wrist strength anymore, to clean their pots.

• Trish McLauchlan
    hace 8 años
    We have just redone our kitchen and installed a steam oven as well as a conventional oven. The steam one reheats food quickly and doesn't dry the food out. The microwave is now at the recycling centre.
  • Olena Tkach
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

I cook a lot in the oven and I don't need a microwave to cook, but I'd have one small microwave for my kid to warm her meal while she's home alone after school while we're at work. Microwave is definitely the safest option for that. But, unfortunally, our kitchen is waay too small to install one device more, so we don't have a microwave yet. Maybe when we'll be ready for the renovation, we'll think about some smart layout for the kitchen which will allow us install both oven and microwave. Yet it's hard on 6,7 sq.m.

• keen bean
    hace 8 años

Couldn't possibly do without my microwave - not for one day. Got 2 small children and for my baby I make batches of food that I freeze and defrost/reheat every mealtime in the microwave. Besides using it to cook my veg all the time and cook baked potatoes and grill cheese-topped muffins and cook bacon (between kitchen towel so it doesn't splatter everywhere). Much, much quicker than heating up the oven and uses less energy. I do keep it in my utility room though so it doesn't use valuable worktop space and I always say buy cheap! I had one that came free with another appliance for years. It had two dials - one for a timer and one for power level and it did a good old-fashioned PIIIIIIINNNGGG when food was ready! Only got rid of it when I had a baby and needed to get a bigger one for bottles/micro steriliser etc...... only 6 minutes to sterilise 6 bottles with just a bit of water creating steam.... blah blah blah I could go on!!!!

• PRO
    Three Interiors
    hace 8 años

When you have kids you use your microwave a LOT - I hear ya keen bean! I would definitely find it much more inconvenient not having one. However, they're not the nicest things to look at are they? I'd never have a built in one just based on looks alone. Mine's hidden in a pantry cupboard and there it will stay! This also means that you don't have to buy an expensive one as it's hidden. Mine too has 2 dials and a nice big PING and I think it was about £20 from Tesco's about 10 years ago!

• Ruth Smyth
    hace 8 años
    I have a combination microwave and oven. I use it all the time as the oven heats up so quickly. I live along, so the size is ideal for my small meals.
  • PRO
    Empatika Bespoke Fitted Furniture
    hace 8 años

Never had one because of health reasons and don't want one either, I agree with the person who said about slowing things down, less speed, less stress, less clutter, less is more...

• Laura
    hace 8 años
    This may sound ignorant, but, how is a owning a microwave unhealthy? A few people have said they've not got one for health reasons, but I don't get the link.

I'd love to slow things down, but there's not enough hours in the day.
  • PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

Hello Laura, It's an essay but succinctly.... 'Microwaves' are high frequency radio waves, like light visible radiation are on the electromagnetic spectrum. Normal conditions of use means there is limited cause for concern with thermal burns from hot food exposure to microwaves etc. Correct usage- including materials for cooking means that microwave ovens are convenient and safe. Manufacturing standards are strict and in constant revision. Food does not become radioactive once cooked and microwaves do not stay in food after cooking nor in the appliance!

However there is quite a lot of written arguments and scientific citing for why microwaves are unsafe, leaking microwaves in damaged appliances, food containers that emit harmful chemicals etc, also nutrient loss due to this method of cooking. So people make a choice..

As long as the product is fit for purpose ie the seal of the door is intact and the appliance is not damaged in any way.. then the microwave is a useful and convenient piece of kitchen equipment. I do though like to maintain a distance even with mine and it's mostly used for heating up cold coffee and making porridge! :))

• erinmarydoyle
    hace 8 años

But, but, but- popcorn?!

• timiduser
    hace 8 años

Also what I find very good is making custard by microwave in a nice serving jug, thus avoiding having to wash up a pan (even non-stick, it's one more pan!)

• crowningfashion
    hace 8 años

I once read a report about the electric? waves used to cook food in a microwave. They kill any nutrients in the food so we may as well eat cardboard. That said my neighbour is partially sighted and is unable to prepare any food or to cook it, so when she has no care her microwave is set ready for her simply to add her ready meal. It happens once in a blue moon and nuked food is still better than no food. That said I do like a milky coffee made from soya milk and I do heat that in a microwave just to be quick.

• PRO
    Fantastic Furniture Assembly
    hace 8 años

In my humble opinion microwaves are nothing but evil. We should totally ban those.

• PRO
    User
    hace 8 años

Our clients either want their microwave built in, within a combination oven or stored in a breakfast larder. I wouldn't say they are on the way out-on the contrary our clients are busier than ever and need all the time saving appliances. We design kitchens with microwaves in every week.

• PRO
    The Kitchen, Bedroom & Furniture Store Ltd
    hace 7 años

Got to agree with Portishead Kitchens here. We put in kitchens every week and more often than not we are requested to include a microwave either built in, as a combination and with some of the older generation they like to have it freestanding. Microwaves seem as useful as ever in todays day and age.

• ianthy
    hace 7 años

I must have missed all the research about microwaves going out of fashion. I couldn't function without one. For our new kitchen I am planning to place it inside a larder cupboard. The microwave is the most used and useful appliance in my kitchen.

• Bow Sward
    hace 7 años
    Brilliant for cooking fish - as well as everything already mentioned. But turns cooked pastry to rubber...
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.