Houzz Logo Print
tflach426

Living room is so blah!

hace 8 años
Help! I brought my furniture from my old place when I moved into my new house and this living room space is kind of awkward. The colors are also bland so I feel like I don't have a lot of room to add decor. There is empty space but it's awkwardly shaped. I want to fill it up but don't know what else I can do here. Any ideas for colors, arrangements, etc.?? TIA!

Comentarios (13)

• hace 8 años

The big wall is part of the problem; I think it needs a vertical accent. Practically speaking, you don't need another lamp in the sitting area but it's always good to have extra light in a reading corner, so I brought this one in from Wallmart. You also need to play up colour a bit -- you needn't go overboard; just a throw cushion or two. I haven't drawn in, but also suggest, replacing the ottoman with a gorgeous coffee table -- it's too much of a muchness with the seating. Also not drawn in, I think the orchard could go on a low, shallow oval dark table, and be placed closer to the cabinet.

Tara Flach agradeció a Rina
  • PRO
    hace 8 años
    Maybe the large sofa can go in the space where the chairs are, add a glass sofa table behind it. I agree the ottoman is not the best, but if you want to keep it, add a colorful or textured tray for books or beverages. Once the current sofa wall is opened up, swap the chairs there . May add a large chair or a wingback with an ottoman or end table, and drift further left beyond the rug space so the room appears larger. don't let the rug define your room size.
    Tara Flach agradeció a Doris Wright
  • hace 8 años

The round drum table that's between the two chairs, if you could get another one I'd put them side by side and make a coffee table out of them. You could move the ottoman to between the chairs, place a tray on it for people to set their drinks, or it could act as extra seating. The big wall - have you thought about a mural of a place you've visited or would like to visit? Also, panels on either side of the window maybe?

Tara Flach agradeció a charleee
  • hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

I would do the following:

1. The back wall artwork behind the couch needs to be larger, the artwork there is too small and getting lost on the wall. The artwork should be something that will draw interest

2. Either (a) Replace the carpet with something that has a pattern, or (b) purchase some throw pillows that have a design to them. I would add two or three to the sectional and one to each of the chairs to tie everything together

3. I would move the small cabinet that is on the wall in picture #2. It is too small for the wall and is getting lost. I would move that under the key hanger in picture #3. To replace that cabinet, I would get a long console table with some accent pieces on top to add some color and interest

Tara Flach agradeció a Melissa
  • hace 8 años

I think there is enough room in yr space to pull the sectional away from the wall and 2 etageres for added storage and lighting

ref pic for inspiration

Mid Century Modern Style with Crate and Barrel Sectional · Más información

Tara Flach agradeció a anne dee
  • hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

Pretty house, and your furniture looks good and provides a nice neutral base. You just need to add a bit of pizazz. That said, everything you've hung on the walls is too high, including the key holder.

The art over the sectional is too small. I would find another place for it and get either one large piece, or several, or do a gallery wall there to fill 2/3 - 3/4 of the wall. Choose art with some color, then use it to inform your accessories.

Tara Flach agradeció a groveraxle
  • hace 8 años

I would start with a new rug, new coffee table and horizontal art over the couch.

Tara Flach agradeció a rcarterworld
  • hace 8 años

Oh yeah, I thought your lamp was too short and didn't belong in front of the window, so I replaced it with Pottery Barn's pulley lamp to the right of the chaise. ^

Tara Flach agradeció a groveraxle
  • hace 8 años

Nice work, Grover.

• hace 8 años

Wow, Grover....very nice!!

• hace 8 años

Those touches of vivid color do so much to bring a room to life.

• hace 8 años

OK, I see the duplicate post here. TY all. My app said it could not be posted and I rewrote it again. I guess it did post after all.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.