Houzz Logo Print
mowens

mowens
hace 13 años
Skylights and skylight orientation in master bedroom?

I'm remodeling my master bedroom and bathroom and am considering adding two skylights in my master bedroom. The room is currently very dark but it will get more light when I add new windows and increase the size of my sliding glass door. However, I'm still considering adding two skylights. My designer doesn't prefer skylights in master bedrooms because she likes a dark place to sleep. An architect I spoke to was in favor of skylights.

Also if I go ahead with skylights I'm also trying to decide where to place them. The options are on a northeast facing slope or a southwest facing slope. I figure with automatic shades I can deal with the strong sun in the summer months with a southwest face. Then in the winter the southwest skylights would provide more sun and heat. The downside to placing them on the soutwest face is the space is limited and they would add light to the wall where I plan to place a TV. Again I think the shades can address the problem but I'm looking for input. Also one architect said skylights need 12 inches on each side for roof flashing so space may be an issue on the southwest side.

My house is located 30 miles east of San Francisco and requires heating about 7 months of the year and cooling about 15 days total each year. But it does get in to the 90's in the summer.

Attached are two mock-up pictures I produced using Velux's skylight modeling tool. It assumes a July day at 2 pm.

Comentarios (16)

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.