Houzz Logo Print
hooverwoods

Kitchen Island change- dark kichen surfaces

hooverwoods
hace 11 años
My kitchen has plenty of natural light. If flows to great large kitchen nook and a very bright family room. The cabinets do not have much contrast to the floors. The floors are a rich mahogany ( in great shape) and it looks like the cabinets are more cherry. The counter tops are dark. I have lived here 3 years and have done a lot of updates. The house is 18 years old but the cabinets are plentiful and like new and I have changed most of the appliances except the counter cook top.

My first idea to lighten the feel of the kitchen is to paint the island the same color as the cabinets in the family room or possible a light blue that is in the rug in the kitchen nook and to change just the island counter top only to some kind of light surface - granite or marble. Of course change out the stove top

The second would be to just change all the counter tops to a light color.

I would really appreciate all creative ideas on colors, counter tops or other changes that would help. I like an eclectic style with a modern touch to every room.

Comentarios (26)

• PRO
    Interiors International, Inc.
    hace 11 años
    It is a beautiful kitchen. I do like the idea of a light colored island with a light colored top. It will completely change and update the room.
  • PRO
    Leanna Hart Designs
    hace 11 años
    I think you have the right idea to contrast the island, however I would go one step further to keep it tied together with the back counter and cabinets with a tile backsplash that will bring the colors together. I think white island cabinets are too stark in contrast with the rest of the kitchen. If you just change the counter top on the island and add a tile backsplash that is a combination of light and dark it would look great. Maybe paint the island cabinets a soft black. It would not lighten the kitchen, but with a lighter counter top it would give great contrast to the floors and other cabinetry.
  • Kathy Wilcox
    hace 11 años
    Best not to use marble in the kitchen, it can stain too easily, but a lighter granite, and by all means, paint the island a contrasting color. I would pick up a lighter color from the granite and keep the granite if it's in good shape, it seems to be lovely. If you go with a light colored top, maybe butcher block make a great work surface and contrast.That would look great with lighter wood cabinets, too!
  • hooverwoods
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Última modificación: hace 11 años
    Leanna: Thank you for the confirmation that doing something to the island is a good idea. I went to your site and looked at some of your kitchen projects and saw the cabinet with the "soft black" - never would have thought of that as a contrast but you are right. Even with my dark floors ! Do you remember the paint color used on that island cabinet in your portfolio or was that color of the cabinet when purchase?

What would you suggest for the counter top if I just changed just the island. The other counters have a busy design but have some areas of gray quartz . Would a muted light gray work.

I could change all the counters - would that be better to lighten then just changing the island? Thanks!
  • PRO
    Joys, Jewels, and Gems
    hace 11 años
    If you can't forego $1000-$1500 for new cabinets then Leanna Hart Designs has the right idea. Get new countertop for $600-$900 + a whole tile backsplash for $400-$500ish. I would suggest, the new cabinets out of that option.
  • Jennifer Hogan
    hace 11 años
    Personally I would change the countertops first. The wood on the floor and cabinetry is beautiful, but the dark countertops get lost and they don't have the same rich red as the floors and counters.

For me the orange brown and red browns just aren't working.

If you do that and find yourself wanting more then do something with the island base, but I think the counters would do the trick.
  • hooverwoods
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Jennifer: I agree - they do get lost in the color of the wood and that may be an easy solution but I also like the island changed to a black to add a little more character to the kitchen. Sometimes someone else can see what you can't see looking at it everyday.
  • AMN
    hace 11 años
    Change the countertops. They need to be updated throughout the kitchen anyway, and doing so will give you the lighter look you want.
  • hooverwoods
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Jennifer: How did you do that with Photoshop. I have Photoshop Elements 11. What version do you have? I need to be able to do that too. Good Job!
  • Jennifer Hogan
    hace 11 años
    Love the Cheetah! Would you mind sharing where you found it - name of artist?
  • hooverwoods
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Jennifer I will check my receipt. I don't know off the top of my head. Get back to you later when I get home
  • PRO
    Leanna Hart Designs
    hace 11 años
    The black island in my portfolio was ordered with that finish on the island. If your budget allows replacing all of the counter tops with something lighter with no granite backsplash but using a full tile backsplash will complete the look easily. I still like the idea of accenting the island with a new color and different coutner top. The other change that will give your kitchen some real interest would be a chandelier or large pendant fixtures over the island. It is a nice open space and could use the accent.
  • Jennifer Hogan
    hace 11 años
    Sorry - Corel Paint Shop Pro - got it with my camera. Does many of the same things as Photo Shop. Used the freehand selector to pick the countertop and the color changer tool to lighten the color without removing all the shadows and shading.
  • PRO
    Toni Sabatino
    hace 11 años
    I really like the photo of your fireplace area and the cheetah, too. I like the idea of light grey counters, glass backsplash tile and new handles to give the space and update. With a light grey counter, I think the island would look great in a charcoal color if you were to paint it.
  • PRO
    Creations Nadia Interior Design
    hace 11 años
    that could look good
  • PRO
    Toni Sabatino
    hace 11 años
    Love those.......I see the light grey calm glass, a calm light grey counter and funky hardware going with the "cheetah" room.......I love the linear piece with light grey counters, too......looking forward to seeing what direction hooverwoods goes....
  • PRO
    Creations Nadia Interior Design
    hace 11 años
    thank you, i thought it will go well with stainless steel appliances....
  • PRO
    Aegean Design Studio
    hace 11 años
    I also agree with lighter counter tops and tile backsplashes. And, if you add area rugs (runners) they would add color and design, plus they'll help protect your floors. I'd wait to see how that works before changing the color of the island cabinet. It's narrow enough it may look odd to have a different color.
    I also like the idea of pendant lighting.
    Lots of good ideas.
    Chrysteen
  • hooverwoods
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Jennifer: I couldn't find the receipt - it is a bronze piece I have had for a long time. I don't know if I can mention shopping on this blog but I got the cheetah at Furnitureland South in Jamestown NC. It is an amazing place to buy furniture - you will find every manufacturer there. It is open to the public. It is supposedly the largest showroom in the world. If you go, you will spend at least 2 days there. Manufacturers set up room displays that are outstanding - you can work with a designer there is you want or not. It is literally a large campus of furniture displays. It is not discount but they have a discount location which I did not care for. I live in the Midwest and have been making a trip there about every three years for the last 20 years. I am headed there Feb 4th. If you go to their web sit which I don't know much about and go to design center - shoppers guide you will get an idea of the lay out of this center. furniturelandsouth.com
  • hooverwoods
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Toni thanks for the input. I like the charcoal for the island also. I followed your link. The elegant kitchen and the elegant bath are amazing. I am having my master redone in the spring - that is where I am putting my real money. I never considered white or using a theme of one tile from head to toe. I am in love with that bathroom
  • PRO
    Toni Sabatino
    hace 11 años
    Thanks hooverwoods. I had to do something grand and special in that bathroom. The house is called Sunken Orchard and was built back in the gold coast heyday of Long Island's north shore before the depression. The master bath was originally 3 small spaces. The update needed to give the modern conveniences of the whilpool and steam shower but keep the character the hoiuse exudes. I worked around an existing fireplace that is opposite the steam shower and I had some fun designing the pediments and radiator covers. The owner's factice collection was an inspiiration for the shelving I designed for the corners. I am glad you like it.
  • Jennifer Hogan
    hace 11 años
    hooverwoods - Thanks for the info! My daughter lives in NC, so I will be visiting!
  • PRO
    LEICHT New York
    hace 10 años
    If you're in the area, come join us for breakfast at our showroom and check out our free kitchen session every 2nd Saturday of the month: http://leichtnewyork.com/how-much-will-your-kitchen-cost-class-registration

Best of luck! Feel free to write us if you have any questions.
  • Brandi Nash Hicks
    hace 10 años
    I want to pet those animals ,lol
  • diyher
    hace 10 años
    Última modificación: hace 10 años
    the wood is way too pretty and high end to paint. I think I would change the island counter top to something that goes along with whatever backsplash you choose.
    Also, you can use a marble effect if you go with something like Cambria Torquay Quartz.
    The other thing you could do to break up the wood floor against the cabinets is to find a nice area rug like I think I saw someone else may have suggested.

Have you thought about painting the walls other than white? Maybe a neutral shade that has a touch of color to what works in your surroundings?
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.