Houzz Logo Print
melody_pineda

New furniture - window treatments??

Melody Pineda
hace 8 años
Just got new furniture and love it. Added some wall pieces, throws, bar stools,but something is missing. Torn between curtains (what color?!) or bamboo blinds. Also looking for end tables but not sure style/color. Love the bright airy feel but room needs a little heaviness or something for coziness. Thoughts??

Comentarios (36)

• Melody Pineda
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Here's the photo
  • miacometlady
    hace 8 años
    Light and airy...but cozy... Says drapes to me, but neutral ones similar to your couch. Perhaps iron or wood rods? Even white! Let your rug stay the darker neutral. A teal tray on the ottoman to bring out your pillows. I think your wall art over the mantle is hung a bit too high, I would center them to the TV nook. You could buy teal, grey and white spray paint and paint all the frames a hodgepodge of color in your gallery to brighten up that area!
  • indomom
    hace 8 años

Agree that fp wall art is too high. Look at World Market for some garden stools or ethnically inspired end tables. And yes to a colorful tray on the ottoman.

• PRO
    Inspired Closets of Greater Boston
    hace 8 años

The room looks dark in this picture because the blinds are closed. I think with the right lighting, the room would look perfect!

• Melody Pineda
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Here's some more photos with open blinds.
  • lynzirachel
    hace 8 años

It is out of balance to me because your mantle is too small. If you had a darker wider top it would add focus to the wall and stop making your furniture the focus. Add some pretty color to your room with pillows and vases or plants and artwork. The art you have flanking the fireplace is a bit too "hard" and juvenile for your beautiful room. Try to paint an abstract or just go to thrift stores, antique stores or to your furniture store and see what they used when displaying your furniture. Try loosening the arrangement of pictures and mixing in some other shaped frames and mix larger, taller, and smaller ones. Place the frames on the floor and arrange them until you feel they look great. There is a very soft rule about keeping the bottom of the group somewhat even. But do not feel confined, make it yours. Have fun putting small pictures in large frames and using contrasts to inject interest. The window coverings are fine. However, it just looks too solid. Add soft colored and slightly sheer curtains and enjoy how happy it begins to look when you add the slightest sunlight by opening the blinds to reflect the ceiling. When it makes you happy, it will be right, as it will comes alive you will start to smile!

• Darzy
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

Melody, your room is lovely and I love the furniture design and details. To warm it up as you'd like, perhaps add some interesting organic/natural elements. A monkey pod twist stool by the chair? It will relate to the floor and with the bar stool legs. I like your interesting art flanking the FP but I would move them, hung vertically to the right of your opening where the bar stools, one low, and one a bit higher than eye level. Another reason to move the art by the fireplace because window treatments on the FP wall should extend past the window about 8 inches - that way the curtains when open will expose the entire window. A natural wood, round tray on the ottoman will add to the organic feel.

Haussmann Original Wood Twist Stool 12 X 12 X 26 In High Walnut Oil · Más información
    Kraftware Woodcraft Walnut Round Serving Tray · Más información

• Darzy
    hace 8 años

One more tweak...the sofa table is a bit short for the sofa. I'd suggest "extending" the look by taking the outer photos and hang them lower, about 6-8 inches above the sofa on the left and right side of the sofa table. Basically, art surrounding the table/lamp more relating to the sofa and table rather than photos "filling" the wall. It will look more like a rectangle of art, rather than the "fish eye" look and will be easier to view your lovely photos and frames. Sort of keep the top row of the photos more in a straight line (not exactly straight) and keep the photos within the length of the sofa. The spacing is great!

• Darzy
    hace 8 años

indomom...I just noticed we were thinking the same thing with the wood side table. Ditto! I like the World Market side table a lot.

• Darzy
    hace 8 años

PS Me again. (smile). If you like the wood idea, I'd suggest curtain panels in a linen texture in a tangerine, orangeis, terra cotta look. If you want to keep it "light", I'd suggest side tables in a silver finish and silver tray (to complement the nail head detail of the furniture) then go with a turquoise/blueish for the curtain panels with a brushed nickel rod.

• Melody Pineda
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    @darzy Thanks! The sofa table isn't staying - it's actually a bookshelf that was there with the old furniture. It's just there until I get an end table for the lamp. Would you still advise moving the photos if there's no table? Suggestions are great. Can't decide now between the wooden ethic end tables or something silver. Both styles sound good. There is silver cabinet hardware in the kitchen too, so might help tie it together. In looking at Houzz photos I still love the bamboo blinds that I see in the beach style homes. Our whole house is Charleston style and off a canal, so we have a southern beachy vibe.
  • indomom
    hace 8 años

Great minds, Darzy! World Market has a very pretty silver drum table if you decided to go that route.

• Melody Pineda
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Oh and finishing out the wood floor and painting are on the long term agenda.
  • indomom
    hace 8 años

We need someone (calling Groveraxle) to photoshop some bamboo blinds in for you so you can get a visual of how that would look :)

• susan2494
    hace 8 años

Melody, the room is lovely. I do think the picture collage above the console is a liitle too high, but instead of just pictures think of adding some small round mirrors or metal art to the grouping. Maybe lean a silver rectangular mirror behind the lamp and fill in sides.

I would get glass tables for the end of sofas by bar stools , You have alot of fabric pieces so break it up, Do not put anything by the chair & sofa leave it open. A blue wooden tray for the ottoman and consider lowering the art on FP side.

A large potted plant in corner between windows with a small barrel table.

Glass end tables

oops not the one above

• susan2494
    hace 8 años

Here are some bamboo shades in a room. So perfect and come in lighter shades.

• susan2494
    hace 8 años

Roman shades

• er612
    hace 8 años

Can you move the 3 seat sofa to face the fireplace and put the loveseat in its place?

• jck910
    hace 8 años

Lovely room and lots of great ideas posted. I agree the art by TV is too harsh for that prominent space, if you love it, it needs to be relocated. Agree with darzy about placement of them. I would go with the tables in wood because you need some darker elements in this room. If you do silver I think it will disappear and you will be disappointed. I also agree bamboo shades will look great. Great start you're almost there

• susan2494
    hace 8 años

I do like the larger piece with ottoman in front of FP, er612.

• susan2494
    hace 8 años

YOu can still keep the photos above the sofa, personal call, but they would all have to be re-arranged. Might be easier to get a nice piece of art.

• Melody Pineda
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    I rearranged the furniture as suggested.
  • susan2494
    hace 8 años

Excellent, now have your work cut out for you in arranging the picture collage :>) Take at least one pillow off the loveseat in fact 2, it is to small for so many pillows.

Try taking out the table behind loveseat and moving most the pictures in a vertical position on that wall closer to the pass thu window. Look at art for over the loveseat or a pretty mirror.

• er612
    hace 8 años

Love the new arrangement! Do you like it? If so, here are some other suggestions (in pictures):

• Melody Pineda
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    I do like the new arrangement! I see everyone's suggestions on reshaping the photo collage. Thanks for the images - any suggestions on what those larger frames should be?
  • vickicz
    hace 8 años
    I think your photo collage is fantastic- not the usual, ordinary wall. Very artistic, I don't think you should change it.
  • er612
    hace 8 años

I was suggesting you use the art on either side of the fireplace in place of the large frames. Sorry. I should have specified.

• suezbell
    hace 8 años

I like the furniture and blinds. Have you tried putting the sofas across from one another -- under the windows and under the collage -- and the chair(s) flanking but back from the bar leaving a space in front of the "bar" open for traffic, perhaps between two chairs. If you add a chair for this, you could go with either a wingback or even a recliner in the corner beyond the bar. For that chair you might opt for a coordinating light color such as pale shades blue and/or tan and/or off white/beige and/or light brown) -- but preferably a pattern rather than a solid color because then you could use one neutral color from that pattern (a light grey or light tan or even a light blue) for the drapes and the various colors of that pattern for the throw pillows to add color to the room. You could then change color scheme without the expense of repainting just by changing pillows or, if you want a more warm color for the cooler weather, by changing out the drapes with the seasons as well.

I keep seeing pictures of drapes bunching up on the floor -- that looks unkept, not unlike an unmade bed. To look good, drapes really should begin only a few inches from the ceiling and stop the same few inches from the floor, such as at the 3" baseboard width and that will make cleaning easier as well.

Good luck.

• babophz
    hace 8 años

This looks tip top already! I most certainly would not add drapes as they would crowd your room. Bamboo blinds, maybe. If only Grover were here...

Have you thought about painting the back wall in an accent colour?

• Melody Pineda
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Thanks all! Took a lot of suggestions and here's where I am now. (And it is Christmas!)
  • susan2494
    hace 8 años

Very nice.

• Darzy
    hace 8 años

One more little detail that oddly makes a big difference. For your ceiling fan light bulbs, install chandelier like clear bulbs instead of the normal milky light bulbs. These are clear LED and available at big box stores for about $8 each.

• Melody Pineda
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    That's an interesting idea! I often sit across from the gallery wall staring at it because I love it and because something is off and I can't figure out what. Maybe the height/width it is!
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.