Houzz Logo Print
chsug

How to arrange furniture in living room with a view

chsug
hace 8 años
We recently bought a 1950s house and put in a large window with a view of the little port in our seaside town. We also demolished an old fireplace and put in an energy efficient insert in its place, but we were constrained by the location of the existing chimney, which means we have an asymmetric wall. The trouble we're having now is to decide where to place the furniture and TV. Our first instinct was to put the sofa facing the window, but now it feels like the sofa takes up a lot of space and blocks the flow into the room. Another option could be to put the sofa against the wall and get two chairs that would face the sofa, but then none of the seating would face the window or TV. Any advice on how to best make use of our space and view? Thanks!!

Comentarios (11)

• Bette P
    hace 8 años

Can you add another photo? Stand in front of the fireplace to show the other end of the room.

• Dar Eckert
    hace 8 años

Looks like a lovely view especially through the window next to the fireplace. Here's what I would do. Move the sofa toward the wall with the radiator (left wall in photo). Maybe a slight angle toward the fireplace. Then put extra chair in corner by lamp and along the wall to the right of the TV. Sometimes I put a large rug in the room with one side parallel to the sofa then put chairs on 2 of the other sides of the rug. I'm thinking in your space the long side would run from the sofa to the fireplace but you need to try both ways to see which works best.

• chsug
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    This is what the room looks like from the other side. We basically have one big open space which serves as kitchen, dining and living room
  • chsug
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Hi Dar, thanks for the tip. Hadn't thought of putting the couch there but it would solve the TV issue, while still allowing a nice seat by the window. It's definitely one option to try. We had debated getting a corner sectional , but my concern is that the flav is small and it'll feel crowded...
  • chsug
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thanks Bette. I will give some of your tips a try. We'll play around with the furniture we already have for now, but I do think the sectional could be a good idea. Great comments!

• PRO
    Dalia Tole
    hace 8 años
    I love the windows and the house and the sight line to the kitchen. So useful when you have children.
    If at all possible try mounting the tv above the fireplace. Use the tv alcove to store books or toys (ikea kallax).
    I would try to change your dining set. Ikea tobias acrylic chairs are $80 each (the 2nd set in the previous photo) are awesome. Cb2 vapor is twice as expensive and bit nicer. See through/lighter furniture will greatly help.
    I think changing your sofa cover to a plain color will pull everything together.
    It looks great.
  • Trine Vig
    hace 8 años

ou already been given some great advice. There is many oppotunities for this room.

Placing the tv above fireplace is an option, but if it way me I would place the tv on a long tv console or hang on wall above shelves on the wall acrooss from the doors. Then place The sofa across, so when you are sitting in the sofa an looking to your left your are look out to see the beuatyful view. Place some matching ottomans by the window, or a window bench. Adding shelves in the space in between fireplace and wall would be very practical. (WB) Painting a black/or dark grey frame on the wall behind the TV wil give a personal touch to the room, combine the living area with kitchen and make it more comfortable for the eye to look at the TV.

A sofa with a chaise would in my oppinion not be to crowed. A grey sofa would make the space more cohesive witht he grey kitchen could be an option. If you choose a chaise i would place the chaise down by the window. Leave floor some space from sofa to. Place some boxes for storrage or a basket for blankets.

Add a comfy, Paint the Table grey or black so fit the calm look of the tv and fireplace. Add black pillows to fit the dining room chais. Add boxes to storrage toys and other stuf to easy pull out to play and clean up again.

I think it is nessesary to change the curtains, they are not doing anything good for the room regarding lighting and drapped curtains in a kitchen is to me not very practical. Add folding curtains or laminel curtains in white. Some some pictures on the wall would also fit in. Maybe a personal foto wall.

Here are some pictures for inspiration. The black and white style will not be to dark when you have as much lighting as you do. Good luck. please upload follow up pictures. As you can hear the opputunities are endless.

• Trine Vig
    hace 8 años

• decoenthusiaste
    hace 8 años

Most family TV time is at night, so you probably won't need to see the view and TV at the same time. I think meals by the window where you have time to enjoy the view would be nice. If the table can be made smaller I'd put it in that corner with only four chairs and no table cloth but bright placemats. Use an arc lamp to light the table. Hang the TV on an articulated arm above the FP and build a closed storage space in the niche, That's where a professional installer will hide the TV gear. You'll have more floor space to add a nice sectional on a rug in the center of the space. The extra dining chairs can go on the wall flanking a nice table with a lamp. Be sure to add bright lumbar cushions to them.

Basketweave Ginkgo Lumbar Indoor/Outdoor Performance Pillow, 12"x20" · Más información

A modern way with natural wood · Más información

• michsa
    hace 8 años

What about a window seat under the window, great for reading and taking in the view

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.