Houzz Logo Print
houzzaupolls

Fridge or Pantry? Garlic

HouzzAU Polls
hace 8 años

Our Fridge or Pantry series is coming to a close.

But the poll results are getting tighter and tighter!

Where do you stand on the issue of this pungent bulb?

Related polls:

Fridge
Pantry
Other (share in the comments)

Comentarios (31)

• Christine Retallack
    hace 8 años
    A garlic grower giving advice on where to keep garlic said the best place to keep garlic is on the. Window sill
  • Momof5x
    hace 8 años

Mine are kept on a vegetable rack which has five baskets for potatoes, onions and garlic.

• beverlynn
    hace 8 años

I had been keeping it in the fridge, but I will give the pantry a try!

• lswd_box
    hace 8 años

It should be kept in it's own wooden bread box or humidor or other wooden box in the pantry. Keeping it in a wooden box will both let the garlic breathe yet hold the scent rather than let it stink up the entire pantry quite so much.

• Penny Riha
    hace 8 años
    I keep our garlic in a garlic shaped jar on the counter, keeps garlic fresh and it's always convenient for use.
  • Karen Ginas
    hace 8 años

Air. How else will it ward off vampires and evil spirits?

• 4megarama
    hace 8 años

my husband points out that having hanging basket or fruit stand has made it good for us to leave garlic out in the kitchen. this also applies to baking potatoes, apples, onions, tomatoes ready for eating.

• User
    hace 8 años

On the coffin lid. Can't be too careful.

• User
    hace 8 años

in my stomach and on my breath.

• Maureen
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

Other than the above - lol - we have a tall glass cabinet in our kitchen used to store large bowls, water pitchers, etc and the garlic is stored in one a covered bowls, out of site but not out of mind!

• louder5
    hace 8 años

I keep my garlic, onions, potatoes, apples etc in baskets. But onions and potatoes should be at least a couple of feet apart to keep the potatoes from sprouting too quickly.

• J K
    hace 8 años

In a teracotta garlic keeper with holds for ventilation on the counter next to my knife block since I use it just about every time I use a knife! Keeps garlic cool and dry.

• User
    hace 8 años

Translation for those across the seas?

• diyer59
    hace 8 años

I use garlic often, have grown it too (fresh garlic is different than the dried). Only one place to put it: in my little ceramic garlic holder on the counter for easy access!

• PRO
    Pat Gericke & Associates, LLC
    hace 8 años

It should be in a vented ceramic garlic container on a counter or it can be left in a basket on the counte if used daily - Garlic does not belong in the refrigerator.

• wooliewebs
    hace 8 años

Uh....don't any of you cook with it before it lays around that long? Garlic should be enjoyed....daily.

• User
    hace 8 años
    I keep garlic in a dish on the counter, we don't stockpile it and it gets used quickly.
  • zazfuzzroc
    hace 8 años

Well...Chooky, Google translate says this, but I still don't get it.

"It says it says. If all this house is home much all."

I tried. :)

• zazfuzzroc
    hace 8 años

In the fridge for me. :) Plus, I make an herb, veggie and garlic mix that I blend and freeze in ice cube trays which I then store in a freezer bag for future use. Love garlic! ;) Usually have at least 8 bulbs on hand.

• User
    hace 8 años

Zaz, I might get that made up as word art for our place. It makes about as much sense as any conversation between hubby and I.

• zazfuzzroc
    hace 8 años

Lol :D Well Chooky, that's in every houzz....isn't it?

• User
    hace 8 años

For the sake of civilisation, I'm hoping not.

• magada
    hace 8 años

Well ever since i hung garlic over the front door and all windows i swear i haven't had a single vampire in the house, so it definitely works!

• laragazza
    hace 8 años

I keep it on the counter, on a pretty cake pedestal, next to my tomatoes. I don't eat it all at once so need a place to keep it until all used. If it sits around too long it starts to smell strongly of garlic, that's when I know it has gone off. Otherwise it does not have an odor, and it is very pretty in its show white gift wrap.

• Olena Tkach
    hace 8 años

Usually I store garlic in the pantry, but the new one(in the first half of summer, when it is still not dry, a bit 'juicy'. It stays fresh in the fridge while dries in the pantry.

• mogalette
    hace 8 años

Stored in a garlic shaped ceramic container on my kitchen counter.

• kooky_karen
    hace 8 años

We use dried and crushed garlic in jars. So dried is in pantry and crushed is kept in the fridge.

• blfk
    hace 8 años
    In CA, we keep both garlic and onions in a ceramic bowl on the counter. In Japan, the garlic goes in the fridge and onions in a basket on a dark shelf.
  • Paige
    hace 8 años

I think it depends upon the climate where you live. I had always kept garlic at room temperature until moving to a very dry climate where the garlic would shrivel up in no time. Now I have to keep in in the fridge. Oddly, I can still keep onions out.

• luanna4
    hace 8 años

I think it would depend on how often you use it. I go through garlic fairly quickly, so I keep it in a small, shallow, vintage California Pottery dish right on my kitchen counter top (near the range) so it's right at hand when I'm cooking.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.