caine224

Help with drapes for large window

caine224
hace 9 años

I have a large window in my living room. It is 103" from the outside of the trim. I read that you are supposed to get 2x the width of your window for your drapes, but the widest I can find for drapes is a 54" panel. Do I really need to get 4 panels? How do they stay together? It seems to me like the panels would hang oddly and separate from each other and just look weird. What am I supposed to do??

I am replacing the rod and I am hoping to get grommet drapes, or any kind that you just pull open or closed, rather than the cord that opens and closes them. The drapes shown are almost 68" each. Were these custom made?

Comentarios (8)

• caine224
    Autor original
    hace 9 años

I will try to find someone. I am fixing up to sell, so I was hoping to spend very little, and adding the word "custom" means spending very little goes out the window. I was thinking pull-close when I thought I could do something stock and cheap. They are not opened every day, so I wasn't worried about it. You are saying they are bunched up currently, correct? They are on a traverse rod now, do you think it is broken? I will make it work as long as I can.

• Joy
    hace 9 años
    Are your original draperies bad? Can you use them and just update them? If you are selling your house, maybe just sewing a band of fabric on the side where the draperies meet when closed, or band of fabric on the outside edge of drapery, or cut 1/3 off the bottom of drapery and add another fabric in a different color or pattern. You still can use a new rod with rings and hand pull if you want.
  • Joy
    hace 9 años
    Also, how about painting a design on the draperies. I have seen this done with beautiful results.
  • dclostboy
    hace 9 años

If fixing to sell, clean the current draperies and call it a day. In the picture, the pleats are not evenly spaced and the curtains look bunched at the window edges.

• PRO
    AMD Interior Fashions
    hace 9 años
    I agree with dclostboy. If you are preparing to sell the house, keep what you have and have them cleaned, if needed. Changing the pole can make a big improvement in the look of the window. Since these won't be opened and closed often, you don't need a traverse rod. There may be a drapery cleaning service in your area that will take them down and rehang them for you. They may be able to dress them to hang properly for you. Then leave them that way. Have you considered painting the walls a darker neutral color? I think that will also be an improvement. Perhaps a Home Staging Pro here on Houzz can give you advice. Good luck!
  • Bette P
    hace 9 años

Consider painting out the wood trim and baseboard. The next owner will most likely change out the window coverings anyway, put your money towards other areas that may need attention to sell.

• caine224
    Autor original
    hace 9 años

i put the first coat of paint on the trim last night after i posted. i also have removed carpet, new is coming. the baseboard is just being replaced.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.