Houzz Logo Print
ourfirstcasa

How/would you refresh the outside of this home?

ourfirstcasa
hace 9 años

How would you refresh the outside of this home (especially the "front", I wish the brick didn't stop), if at all?

Think I prefer to eventually brighten/lighten it a bit. I tend to like soft white washed brick (so it looks like Savannah brick) and then the lower half would blend a bit with the top half of house. Maybe just whitewashing the porch floor and steps would give it a less heavy style? Also, thought a pale blue front door or pale wood door could be nice, so may paint. Want to eliminate green awnings (blue shutters instead?). Not sure how it would all come together. Thoughts/ideas on whitewashing, shutters, door, or anything? All that said, the current style is growing on me.

Fence- white picket or iron?

Also, anyone know what style the house is?

"Front" View (Front of house used to be the door on the right of Side View 2)

Side View 1

Side View 2

Also, no rush …not sure when we will have budget for refreshing outside.

Comentarios (42)

• PRO
    flair lighting
    hace 9 años

take down the awning. update the light fixtures.

ourfirstcasa agradeció a flair lighting
  • acm
    hace 9 años

Man, I hate those columns blocking the large window! I'd want to give up on the illusion of symmetry and center the entry on the actual door. But probably you're looking for something slightly less structural than that. Like the idea of a blue door and getting rid of the awning -- wouldn't bother with shutters.

ourfirstcasa agradeció a acm
  • ourfirstcasa
    Autor original
    hace 9 años

@acm: Thank you! Great calls. I didn't even consider symmetry (but I couldn't figure out where to add shutters) …makes me want to make this the back/side porch even more. :/

• tfitz1006
    hace 9 años

It's a very cool house but I can't get past the symmetry issues. If you had the budget, it would be nice to have a full porch all across the front. Very pretty house.

ourfirstcasa agradeció a tfitz1006
  • acm
    hace 9 años

Maybe if you reduced to one column on each side and painted them brown, they'd get "out of the way" visually, but I don't think that goes with the style of the house. @1006 I think the porch is already all the way across, but they just put the stairs and the door on different alignment plans. :)

What happened to the old front entrance -- is it buried in some awkward spot inside now, or could it be disinterred? Anyway, if you stop looking so closely, you'll enjoy this house just fine, heh.

ourfirstcasa agradeció a acm
  • Lisa Hershock
    hace 9 años
    Beautiful house. Take awning down, I would put a better window on 2nd floor with true divided light mutton bars, new light fixture and paint to door.
    ourfirstcasa agradeció a Lisa Hershock
  • libradesigneye
    hace 9 años

My best advice for this classic house is fix the upper window under the awning first - this would have been a twin double hung originally, or you could do a double casement since air flow up there has got to be really important in summer in a brick house. If you go with a casement, consider a simple cross muntin - one up in the center one across in the center of each pane. That will still be larger scale like the no muntin lower windows (and even in a modern window rather than a wood window will look right and proportional.

I love the concept of antiquing your brick - one coat of watered down beige / greige paint around LRV 65 is going to give you the best result. You can even have it sprayed as long as someone goes behind with a brush to even out the overlaps (most easily done immediately behind before too much soaks in) .. fine for some individual bricks to be coated more than others but it should be random, not in the stripes of a sprayer pattern. test bm carlisle cream http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/carlislecream

You can try this first on the stairs and porch - why not?

When you go with white on red brick, you get pink. When you use a beige - it is naturally aged looking .. so definitely don't antique with whites ..

Your roof is actually a reddish in the plum direction. So, if you antique the stairs to see what you like, and you paint the front door, I would suggest you stick with navy on the entry and the awning until you antique the entire house. Your palette will expand some then - a great navy with red or antiqued brick would be like bm kensington blue . . http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/kensingtonblue

ourfirstcasa agradeció a libradesigneye
  • Lisa Hershock
    hace 9 años
    Yes muntin not mutton lol
    ourfirstcasa agradeció a Lisa Hershock
  • tfitz1006
    hace 9 años
    Última modificación: hace 9 años

acm, I think what I mean is extend the roof all the way across to ameliorate to some degree the asymmetry - but I take the point that it is unique in its way.

ourfirstcasa agradeció a tfitz1006
  • PRO
    Cocoweb
    hace 9 años

Lighting Fixture can really upscale the design of a home. Its important that the first thing people see of from house its neat and unique. The color scheme is very solid the brick and white contrast each other and complement at the same time.. I totally agree, you should update your light fixtures. We carry wide variety of Gooseneck Lights, powder coated to stand sunny and rainy days, integrated with the latest LED technology. Our Lights would be a great addition to this home, We have different finishes, styles and sizes. I would recommend either white or black finishes for this home.

Barn Lights

ourfirstcasa agradeció a Cocoweb
  • ourfirstcasa
    Autor original
    hace 9 años

Thanks again, acm! Nope, the front entrance isn't buried. It is just a door (it is to the right in "Side View 2". Maybe we should make it the front again?

• ourfirstcasa
    Autor original
    hace 9 años

Thank you, lisahershock ! I will need to google the divided light mutton bars.

• libradesigneye
    hace 9 años

Does the inside flow better with the side the front? You could build a hedge and put up a wall fountain where the brick meets the walk, screen the sidewalk, direct people through a charming arbor to the side path / shift the entry easily if inside it does work better that way .. you can still use this porch as a side porch . . maybe change the door to a dutch door or a french divided light door .

• ourfirstcasa
    Autor original
    hace 9 años

Thank you, libradesigney! for putting some thought into this. I will go through your post more slowly with google, as this is quite new to me. Here's a picture of some of the pins I saw for door color …but you are probably correct, that darker blue will be better. Those are easier to find online.

Door Link 1

Door Link 2

Shutter Link w/pretty porch

Also, your advise on whitewashing was terrific - there are so many different looks online …didn't realize it was so involved. I would have simply bought white paint and dabbed it on. yikes! :)

• ourfirstcasa
    Autor original
    hace 9 años

Hi, libradesigneye! The current front door goes into a sunroom, you turn left out of it and then opens up to a nice living area with a fireplace (so it is towards the left side if you are looking at the front of the home, the right side is a small sun room perfect for reading/coffee). The old front door goes into a living room with a view of another room and the kitchen. We are planning to remodel the inside of the home near the side door (hopefully fixing foundation issues, updating Kitchen and opening it up a bit to long living room) before we move in.

Where would you change the walk to the street? Does that mean, you would create a walk from the current side door to make that the new front door?

• victorianbungalowranch
    hace 9 años

You have a big house with a complex profile and lot of surface area to whitewash and to make it come out evenly and not too pinky. You could consider a render treatment with stucco to give it that aged appearance from a skilled mason, but it will be pricey no doubt.

Lots of folks in the South just paint the brick, but I would look at your climate first. If you have a lot of humidity, then you are essentially coating the brick with a layer of plastic (old paint allowed moisture out--synthetic paints they have these days tend to seal it in) and trapping moisture in brick can be a big problem, especially since there is probably already condensation under the brick where the cool of the air conditioning meets the warm moist air outside. That is why you should see little screens and weep holes near the bottom of your brick veneer (don't cover with mulch or plantings!) Trapped moisture at best will cause your paint finish to fail, and at worst will cause damage to the wood framing and interior plaster, and moist wood brings rot and sets the stage for termite and carpenter ant infestation.

So I tend to be conservative and of the "don't paint brick" school of thinking.

I wouldn't put shutters on the dormer--the window is too wide to put properly sized ones. I like the awning, and replacement fabric comes in all sorts of colors and stripes. I can see maybe adding some awnings elsewhere to balance it off. Slat type awnings or full window plantation shutters might be an option.

The front porch bothers me because it ends over a large window. Adding Craftsman style pergolas and each side, or at least over the left side could help balance that out. But now I see the brick patio underneath doesn't extend that far. There isn't an easy fix for that. Perhaps some landscaping could minimize that problem.

The irregular and complex massing of the house makes me wonder if it started out as a more modest 1 or 1 1/2 story house that got added on to. At first I thought you could take it more Craftsman by painting the second floor a darker color, leaving the trim white and maybe by painting the doors and the garage door accent or darker colors. At least you have a nice color of brick. I'm also wondering if highlighting the added on aspect would work if you treated different sections of the house differently. I can't see the whole thing well enough to tell. It is sort of an uneasy compromise between being consistent but not cohesive.

I'm sure lots of people will say paint it, and if you did, I would go with a light to medium gray, although I'm not sure if that would work with the roof, or white. I would just check with an expert before I did.

ourfirstcasa agradeció a victorianbungalowranch
  • libradesigneye
    hace 9 años

Carriage style garage doors with windows and black iron hardware would add charm too. The railing at the garage has a different bottom detail - it should match the one on the main house (when maintenance demands a new one). This is a white picket fence style house due to your railings. . .you would use a 5' hedge at the street line, a white arched arbor over the walk where people are to enter, and a short white open picket fence on the left as you walk the path to the front entry. You could switch the existing front door to the front door location and vice versa .. . try the navy or you might like a soft historic yellow tone - sw bees wax is proven.

• libradesigneye
    hace 9 años

It is completely your call as to whether you prefer the front entry or the side. All I am saying (particularly if you are near savannah or charleston where side entry homes are very common), is that if you want to direct traffic to the side door, and make the original entry YOUR entry, it is not difficult to do with landscaping. There are great columnar ficus that you can plant in a row at the current inside of the sidewalk. Where the brick steps come down now, you would take some of them up to build a low wall - under 3' and you don't need a permit - you could put a wall fountain on the wall with a trough below to put a fountain that sprayed back towards the house . . .now, your sunroom "side" porch looks onto a privacy hedge and the fountain mutes street noise. The house is high enough that you can see over a 5 or 6' hedge when standing in the house to see fol de rol .. . .there is a sidewalk that goes down the side of your home to your front door. So, if you take the hedge planting all along your frontage, except use an arbor over the front walk that leads down the side, it will direct people to your front door. They won't come to this end side / sunroom anymore . . .

Courtyard · Más información

• bungalowmo
    hace 9 años

Don't be afraid of a little color! Nothing crazy, but you can go beyond the white

I also have a red brick house...mine also has white trim, like every single other red brick house in my entire county! Not for much longer.

It has literally taken years to figure out a color scheme to go with it. I have decided on the following 3 colors. I have already had nearly my whole metal roof cleaned, scraped, sanded, primed & painted

Paint Color SW 6213 Halcyon Green from Sherwin-Williams · Más información

The other 2 complimentary colors will be

Caviar SW6990 - Sherwin-Williams · Más información

and

Paint Color SW 6211 Rainwashed from Sherwin-Williams · Más información

I am SO done with the white!!!!

ourfirstcasa agradeció a bungalowmo
  • brickln
    hace 9 años

I would paint it in a grayish shade of blue or green. Paint the wicker furniture, too.

ourfirstcasa agradeció a brickln
  • Marci
    hace 9 años
    The things I could not get past are the all little tiny bushes in front of the house!

You need something larger with big, showy flowers.

What is your zone? What kind of light do you get?
    ourfirstcasa agradeció a Marci
  • Kristi Traynor
    hace 9 años
    I agree with the first comment. I'd take down the awning and beef up the lights. Otherwise it's a super cute house. I would change anything else.
    ourfirstcasa agradeció a Kristi Traynor
  • Elaine DiMasi
    hace 9 años

I am enjoying this thread. OurFirstCasa, I hear you saying that the current front door goes into a sunroom - it's all personal taste, I personally would love that "gradual" entry into the personal part of my space, through a space with sun and plants and room to take your boots off.

People are talking about the porch vs door as asymmetry, but of course the porch is symmetrical with the dormer window and might look strange if it weren't. If you do decide to go darker with trim instead of lighter, maybe darker columns wouldn't fight so much with the windows behind them? Maybe one of the photoshop guys can show us..

ourfirstcasa agradeció a Elaine DiMasi
  • Kristi Traynor
    hace 9 años

Yeah, the asymmetry doesn't bother me a bit. It's just part of the charm.

ourfirstcasa agradeció a Kristi Traynor
  • ourfirstcasa
    Autor original
    hace 9 años

Thank you, victorianbungalowranch!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I love HGTV’s Fixer Upper house exteriors so I think that’s why I tend to be drawn to whitewas and the Savanah brick look (https://www.pinterest.com/pin/287597126181757019/ ). Good points about a large surface area, the issue of trying to get the color correct, and importantly, the humidity. Also, Stucco treatment sounds too expensive, and going for light/bright as opposed to aged (I think) so probably will take your advice and skip that. Actually, by the time we are ready to start the exterior, I’ll probably be used to the

Where I live is probably a synonym of humidity, so this is the piece of your advice is the one that caught my attention. Thank you for bringing this up. Do you think humidity would be an issue if we just blotted (https://www.pinterest.com/pin/287597126181731968/) some white/beige paint on?

We are having ventilation (little screens) added to the bottom of the home when they adjust the foundation, as this is currently an issue. However, we were clear on pests.

There are awnings all over the house, the only one I’m used to so far is the one on the grey porch (second floor).

I like the idea of full window plantation shutters (over awnings, if it is an either or option).

We will look into some landscaping too (will stay clear of Craftsman style because there are true craftsman’s throughout the neighborhood and I don’t tend to gravitate towards that style as much).

Many people agree with you and don’t love where the roof of the front porch ends …the one kind of cool thing is there is a swing hanging from the roof. I like that part at least. I doubt painting the swing would draw eyes away from where the front porch roof ends?

I’m trying to get my hands on the original plans so I don’t know the details, but I believe the area of the home that is nearest to the mother in law suite was an add-on, so bet your hunch is correct. J

It used to be painted white …though I would probably do a blot on the brick. As for the roof, it needs to be replaced in 5 yrs I think, so we will probably change to light grey shingle at that point.

Thanks again for so much insight!

• ourfirstcasa
    Autor original
    hace 9 años

Hi, bungalowmo! Those colors are pretty! Reminds me of one on pinterest. Really? A metal roof on a brick house? I haven't seen one of those yet. In 5 yrs, we probably need to begin replacing (some of) the roof, and I assumed we would go grey shingle ...but will have to keep eyes open for metal. I think HGTV's Fixer Upper and my mom's sense of style has me going i nthe direction of lighter/brighter... though I love the idea of pops of color! :)

• ourfirstcasa
    Autor original
    hace 9 años

Hi, brickln! Thanks! Before we bought a home, I was set on a light blue house ...despite many episodes of HGTV's Fixer Upper, I have trouble imagining that on this style. What color furniture for the porch? Anyways, that will go with the seller. I hope the porch swing stays. I like that.

• ourfirstcasa
    Autor original
    hace 9 años

Hi, marci4! Have not thought too much about landscaping near the porch yet. My zone is Eastern Standard Time and I think we get a lot of light ..though lots of shady oak trees around so that may block some of it.

• ourfirstcasa
    Autor original
    hace 9 años

Thanks, Elaine DiMasi! Glad you're enjoying! I'm finding my first post very helpful! I think I gravitate towards open layouts but I will probably also just get used to walking into the sunroom (where we could take our sandals off ..we don't do boots very much here during the day)...as we begin to just enjoy the house like acm said I am enjoying this thread.

I have seen black trim, but I will probably stick with white/lighter for now. Difficult to imagine anything different (probably too many episodes of HGTV's Fixer Upper). Wish I knew photoshop! My sis-in-law is in design, and she's already helpingme with the interior ...wonder if there's something easier (and less expensive) than photoshop that I could use to play around with the outside.

• Elaine DiMasi
    hace 9 años

My Aunt is an artist and when I asked what color my new house should be, she told me to make a sketch, photocopy and use colored pencils.. I was like Oh right, so easy, not! :-)

• ourfirstcasa
    Autor original
    hace 9 años

Thanks again, libradesigneye ! <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

· You said “Classic house” – is that the style of this house? My google-assisted guess was colonial revival, but I had a difficult time pulling up similar looking homes on google.

· Both the twin double hung and double casement windows look nice to me. Air flow/quality is actually top on our list so perhaps simple\double casement it is (one up in the center one across in the center of each pane).

· We will probably begin with trying to paint the stairs and porch floor (love if antiqueing could result in this color: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/287597126181755938/). We will leave the columns as is …wouldn’t really know what to change and seems costly. We could change the current front porch to the side porch and make the main entrance the other door. I like the landscaping idea and love the french divided light or dutch door idea! Also, AMAZED at how much the house in your courtyard pic, looks like ours! Will look into sw bees wax color, though I'm having trouble getting pale blue out of head. I think because I think it looks a little french. My husband's mom is french and has brick with bright blue. For interiors I like traditional/HGTV Fixer Upper style, but intead of country touches, french industrial elements. Planning white kitchen with industrial elements ('whitewashed' brick backsplach)

· Correct, roof is currently reddish, though apparently we will be replacing in 5 yrs – if I had to select one now, probably grey shingle. Alternatively, metal ..though don’t think that works on this house.

· I’ll pass the garage ideas along to my husband. Carriage style garage doors with windows and black iron hardware would be awesome.

· Even with black iron hardware on garage, we would want white picket fence style house because of the wood porch railings?

· The mother-in-law suite looks like it will require a mend to the porch in a few years, so thanks for pointing out the opportunity to make it match the other porch at that time. They are painted light grey currently, which I like (just love greys and whites right now).

Appreciate all the help!!

• ourfirstcasa
    Autor original
    hace 9 años

That sounds like a good idea, Elaine DiMasi !!! For non-artists like me, there's a few apps that change pictures to pencil sketches (no way I could draw)...but I could color them in ...maybe. Maybe I'll try!

• Elaine DiMasi
    hace 9 años

Ooh I should do that too! Thanks!

• kpappal
    hace 9 años
    I like the color of your brick. When I looked at your house, the first thing that looked out of place, is the wide white board at the top- above the windows. If you plan to stain the brick. I'd do that first, and then paint that wide board and the dormer a color that will blend in more with the brick. Maybe a medium gray. Your house is very cute - love that green, green grass. Everything here in PA is brown after a long, cold winter.
    ourfirstcasa agradeció a kpappal
  • Marci
    hace 9 años
    Actually, when we ask what zone in reference to gardening, we mean USDA zone! : D

You can find it pretty easily: if you Google "what's my USDA zone?" You will get to a site where you can enter your zip code and presto! You know your USDA zone.

The zone describes your climate and by extension, what plants will do well there.

Based on the plants I see, I'm guessing 6 or 7, maybe 8.
    ourfirstcasa agradeció a Marci
  • ourfirstcasa
    Autor original
    hace 9 años

Hi, http://www.houzz.com/user/marci4 !

I couldn't figure out if you wanted time zone or flood zone, or why. Lol!

Thanks, the usda zone is probably more useful than the pic of my favorite flowers (http://www.spaldingbulb.co.uk/product/seed-mat-wild-flower-mix/;sid=oTlXaV9oP0NTaRA1XNBER1xiQQT6KcXuN44=#.T13-DrTk7BM.facebook) which I've never seen here.

You were close with my zone - I'm a 9b! :)

• ourfirstcasa
    Autor original
    hace 9 años

Thanks, http://www.houzz.com/user/kpappal ! What you noticed (white board) is exactly what I felt looked off. Also, felt it was too heavy a look with the same brick on wall and porch. I initially thought if I lightly whitewashed brick on wall it may blend more with the white band; if I did the same to the brick on the floor it may give some depth to the porch.

• PRO
    Earth, Turf & Blooms
    hace 9 años
    If you had the budget extend porch across the entire front .
    The planting are to small ,I would like to see boxwoods across the front either side of walk ,remove awning ,grills in the windows would look nice .cute house
    ourfirstcasa agradeció a Earth, Turf & Blooms
  • ourfirstcasa
    Autor original
    hace 9 años

Thanks, Earth, Turf & Blooms! I doubt we have the budget (ideas on what that would cost?), but that would look nice, I think …could help us get away from craftsman feel perhaps. There is some broken brick near one of the columns, so it may be something we have to address eventually. Looks like boxwoods grow in USDA 9b, so that would be an option! Thanks for the idea! What type of grills? In all the windows or just upstairs?

• libradesigneye
    hace 9 años

I think your house style is closest to an American Foursquare - real Roosevelt era proportions - 1910, 1920 maybe greek revival. . . lovely. A flag blue door would be swell. Test bm new york state of mind - http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/newyorkstateofmind

I also happen to think that a sunroom makes a lovely entry - but the door or french doors from the sunroom into the house proper are best also be painted the front door blue so that it feels like an anteroom. .. use a hall tree bench adjacent so the zone of entry feels like a formal mud room - sarah richardson's entry to her farmhouse comes to mind . . use a row of rocking chairs or a daybed and stools in the rest of the space . . maybe have this transition through a library / formal dining room set up - walls lined with books and a gateleg / drop leaf table in the middle . . a pair of highly comfortable wing chairs / reading chairs . . maybe a dimmer on a great modern plumbing type chandelier?

washing your brick (paint watered by 1/2) will not harm its thermal properties - the clay will soak up the watery paint like a sponge and cause no harm to its ability to breathe because of its being watered down - but I like the crisp trim and blue door too - a wrap around porch would make this a little antebellum for my taste . . the separate porch means you can treat the side yard as private space - hedge it off instead . . . .create a special garden for the great room - with a kitchen garden / raised bed centered on the current "lawn square" / large window - trellis in the middle for pole beans or tomatoes . .

• PRO
    Renewal by Andersen
    hace 8 años

What a fantastic place! Perhaps updating the windows would help give it a more renewed look. Casement windows with colonial style grilles like the before/after project we worked on below would look lovely. For what it's worth, we vote black iron fencing. Congratulations on your new purchase, and enjoy the remodeling!

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.