have circles to indicate doors because I don't know how to add door
symbol in Sketchup). I also, attached a picture of this home in my
neighborhood (and that's how I want my house to look like, more or
less). Anyway, any feedback will be highly appreciated. BTW: I am using
metric measurements.

Comentarios (20)

• xxkayleenkittyxx
    hace 9 años

Wall off the great room area and make the guest room with French doors accessible to the porch

• huddle hum
    hace 9 años

Helpful...!!

• sueschus
    hace 9 años

Could the sun room be used as a guest room as it is close to a WC?

• PRO
    Mishi McCoy Interior Design
    hace 9 años

Right now more questions than suggestions! Do you really need a LR, Great Room, & Family Room if it's to be used only occasionally? Won't your guests be wanting to spend their time with you in "the big house"? Rethinking how it is to be used - sleeping comfortably, relaxing, some privacy .... Having a bedroom with a bath attached would be my first priority, then a large living space, kitchen and porches. Another full WC somewhere near the public areas of the place makes it easy for additional guests, and having hide a beds, or comfortable sleeping couches makes the space multi-purpose.

• Kaitlin Kwallek
    hace 9 años

I can understand wanting a big open space for when you have many guests over. My family's own gatherings rarely last more than one day, so we don't need extra bedrooms, but a big space to mingle is a must!
    That being said, I've noticed that totally open spaces, like what you have in your plan, get really noisy. You may want to separate the family room and/or great room from the dining and living rooms with walls and french doors, and add plenty of soft surfaces (curtains, furniture) to help with that. This also allows some versatility if you do ever need a guest bedroom in the future.

I can't read the label for the space in the lower right corner. What is that room?

• Mohammed Almansour
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Thank you all for the comments. The room in the lower right corner is actually the garage. Also, some of you mentioned guest room; which room are you referring to?
    In fact, I like the idea of the kitchen using the sun room as an extension or breakfast area. Also, I have never thought about the noise associated with big areas (thanks for bringing that to my attention). Just let me clarify, this layout is one-storey which is very close to my house but I may consider a bedroom with a WC connected to it. I hate to be demanding but a simple sketch will clarify any of your ideas much better.
  • User
    hace 9 años
    If I understand correctly, this is to be a reception facility rather than guest sleeping accommodation? A way of having acquaintances etc, to your home, without actually having them in your private space?
    If so, you might consider adequate storage for serving items and the other items you may sometimes need for large groups (extra dining chairs, tables, linens...)
  • User
    hace 9 años
    Oh...I would also consider another powder room a priority over a sunroom if this is the case....
  • pbaresic
    hace 9 años

You need an architect. Their cost is easily absorbed into the total cost as mistakes and re-dos will cost you more. Also, local codes may be an issue. Set backs, prevailing site lines, easements, any septic tank s, all these and more need to be addressed. I worked as an interior designer for 25 years and have come across all of these situations. Good luck.

• PRO
    Michael J Battaglia Residential Design
    hace 9 años

Mohammad. I reviewed your program. It appears you are not wanting a home. You seem to be wanting a separate building for recreation and a bedroom for out of town guests. Some of the issues I stated in my previous comment will still pertain to this space. What you do not indicate is your existing home. A building like this still wants to be associated with the primary residence. The connection with the primary residence can be vital. Without knowing what your existing property looks like it is unlikely you will be happy with the results of all the comments you are receiving. You do need to consult a professional to get you started in the right direction.

• dgmelton
    hace 9 años

My current house has lots of angles in the floor plan. When I remodel I plan to take most to the angles out. I like the views the angles bring, but they can make function difficult. Still, if you love the angles keep them.

• PRO
    hace 9 años

dgmelton. If you are going to take out current angled walls make sure none of them are supporting a room or the roof above. I sure hope you take some time to do as-built drawings and review the load path of the current structure. Angled walls can work well. Sometimes those same walls eat up floor area and create some real useless spaces.

• User
    hace 9 años

Before you invest lots of emotion and money in this project, hire the best architct in your area. Using stock house plans won't do your project justice. You want a beautiful, welcoming home for your family and friends. I am afraid the images shown don't come near achieving that.

• carolyngarland
    hace 9 años
    Yes, get an architect. This is not just picking paint.
  • PRO
    LANGLOIS MASTER DESIGN
    hace 9 años

How could you consider spending that kind of money on a house but cheap out on the preparation. It's pure non-sense... people who build 4000 sqf guest house (88' wide x 46' deep) rarely come here for advise.....

• pbaresic
    hace 9 años

I'm sorry, but asking for free advise from people who do not do this professionally for a house of this size, is foolish. Find an architect that you admire what they've done and work out a deal to improve your house. This bandage approach will eventually fail. You will have to live there with all the rights and wrongs.

• PRO
    hace 9 años

Mohammad. I understand your program. You may be lost in the details at the moment. Please do follow and trust the advice given here by all these people. You are about to embark on a reasonably expensive journey. Get professional help with someone who you can sit down at a table and brainstorm with them your ideas and intentions. There are Architects and there are professional building designers who are members of the American Institute of Building Design (AIBD) who are well versed in projects such as yours. I personally love a design challenge. After 38 years designing homes and special use buildings I enjoy this type of challenge the most. I am in Ohio and may not be close to where you are but I am sure with a little investigation you will find the best design professional for you.

• User
    hace 9 años
    It may be that our poster was, quite understandably, simply bouncing ideas off of us here, before hiring someone locally.
    I've always had folders full of drawings and snapshots and samples before I approached someone for building or renovating something...
  • Kaitlin Kwallek
    hace 9 años

mrsstem, that's what I thought as well.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.