Houzz Logo Print
edubya

Tell us: What would you hide in your Secret Room?

Emily H
hace 9 años
última modificación:hace 9 años

More and more often, we see photos on Houzz of secret rooms hidden behind bookcases or otherwise obscured in a home. I, for one, would love to have one, just for fun.

If you had your own secret room in your home, what would you hide in it?

Contemporary Hall · Más información

Comentarios (121)

• emmoore
    hace 9 años
    It's not what it would have that's so important but what it wouldn't- no kids' toys, husband clutter, or pet hair!
  • janadiane
    hace 9 años

I love the secret passages leading to a secret room. That secret room may be able to double as a safe room as long as a phone is in there and it can be locked.

• PRO
    HAGEMAN BUILDERS
    hace 9 años
  • Linda
    hace 9 años

I just have to ask. Why all this talk about "safe rooms?" Are we all so threatened that the first thing we think about when having the opportunity to create a fantasy room for ourselves -- a panic room? Really? I'm sorry.

• cheriealford
    hace 9 años
    @ Beadpassion - You asked and so I'll give my opinion.

I think there is a certain amount of fear in the current climate. This may be no different than other periods of time, e.g. Pearl Harbor, Cuban Missile Crisis, 9/11, ISIS, etc. We do have greater communication now. When a beach dwellers who lived on the coast was watching for submarines post-Pearl Harbor there was no internet for him to share his concern with an unknown Kansas farmer.

I am not able to have a panic room but I can store water, food and essentials in the event of any natural or man-made disaster. I'd rather be prepared and never need it than unprepared and helpless as my family goes without.
  • janadiane
    hace 9 años

With the rampant Meth use, crime is rampant too. I only worry about criminals getting into my home. Even an alarm system won't deter some criminals. I would like a safe room just for the peace of mind.

• Linda
    hace 9 años

Hi Cherie and Jana, thanks for answeing my question. I truly appreciate your point of view. I also have stored food, water and supplies in case of a disaster. I also have an alarm system and an RV as a second home or place to go as a safe haven. By the way, according to the United Stated Crime Statistics (Dept. Of Justice) -- crime, including violent crime and break-ins, is lower now than it was in 1974. There was a spike in crime in the 1980s and 1990s, but it has been decreasing each year since that time (even though our population has increased). The difference is that there is more being reported by the media, so we are more aware, and have become more fearful. In no way am I minimizing those people hurt or impacted by crime, myself included. I just thought it was important to mention. That being said, I suppose my "reaction" to some of these responses has to do with my interpretation of the question. I saw it as a wonderful opportunity to fulfill a fantasy for a terrific room most of us don't have the space or money for... and reading so many responses for a panic room just broke my heart. There is so much fear-based thinking/reporting/talking/reality in the world... I come to Houzz for fun and decorating. I see that the fright enters every corner of our lives. Now, let's get back to decorating!

• Kat Cheng
    hace 9 años
    @BeadPassion You busted me, I am indeed a security-conscious gal! For whatever reason, Our small, formerly "safe", SoCal village has been hit by a spate of burglaries and home invasions recently. Everyone's nerves are a bit jangled, I'm afraid.
  • Linda
    hace 9 años

Sorry you are going through that, Katheryn. How awful. Linda

• janadiane
    hace 9 años

If I had a big scary looking dog I don't think I would be afraid. I moved from Maui where we never locked our doors to California where there is so much crime. Guess it is culture shock and missing my black lab who has passed.

• Melynda
    hace 9 años
    I'd store my extra super hero costumes - the ones I'm saving for when I lose five more pounds. ;-) kazam!!
  • newhomefornoe
    hace 9 años
    For me, it would be less about what is behind the door, and more about utilizing space to accommodate more of my sh*t. ;)
  • wwmdrm
    hace 9 años

It would be very "girly" with a chaise, candy, wine/wine cooler, some books and all my new purchases from Black and White.

• sandradclark
    hace 9 años

I just need more room for my (or everyone else's junk)!

• janadiane
    hace 9 años

To sandradclark- A woman cave, YES!

• rulamae
    hace 9 años

Myself

• dclostboy
    hace 9 años

My secret room's secret room

• Jeff Tatum
    hace 9 años
    Guns.
    Latest victims.
    Missing socks
  • User
    hace 9 años
    Ahhh-ha! So YOU are the culprit who steals socks from the laundry!
  • PRO
    Creative Home Engineering
    hace 8 años

So one of our clients has her secret passageway lead to an awesome kids room. Check out that pac man / galaga wall paper!!

• havingfun
    hace 8 años

I refuse to tell you what is in my secret room. Because it is mysterious, fun, unusual. As someone kinda said it is all about the getting there, more than the being there. So for today, I am your mysterious. Enjoy, and pass on to others.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    hace 8 años

All the valuable things I have the I don't want anyone else to have . . . in other words Chocolate.

• User
    hace 8 años
    I would hide all the clothes and shoes that I've purchased while "window shopping "
  • havingfun
    hace 8 años

oooohhhh mark, dark at least 85%. be still my beating heart!

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    hace 8 años

70% seems to capture the best of both worlds.

• PRO
    Michelle Scott for Ethan Allen - Laguna Niguel, CA
    hace 8 años

a big squishy tufted velvet sofa, a mini fridge, and a reading lamp! (escape/nap room)

• Bev
    hace 8 años

I would make my secret room my sewing and quilting room! I have several very expensive sewing, embroidery, and quilting machines.

• Edwina M
    hace 8 años
    I think I would make it my office, library or reading nook.
  • havingfun
    hace 8 años

oh edwina, never your office! this is an extravagance, it should be respected as such, only the best most luxurious in there!

• User
    hace 8 años

Wall to wall organizing for all my magazine tear-outs, files of information on the smallest detail, paintings that I switch out - so that not one thing that I don't love or need is visible in the rest of the house.

• PRO
    Pacific Coast Cabinetry
    hace 8 años

The best thing about a 'safe room' is that no one knows it is there! If you have a safe mounted to the floor, it can be removed and your valuables taken. If, however, you choose to store your valuables in plain site and within easy reach inside a room that no one can get into, they are much safer.

More of our customers seem to want the hidden room for more mundane purposes however, we have done several that hide a powder room or simply storage.

• PRO
    Harmonic Series
    hace 7 años

I would go with...myself. Sometimes quiet is a good thing.

• mlcea
    hace 6 años

Does anyone know how to find a carpenter who can install this type of doorway? I think it’s a great idea to “hide” a doorway that sits in the middle of a long wall. Thanks!

• mjconti
    hace 6 años

I've always wanted to learn to paint; so an easel, acrylics, watercolors, brushes, various sizes of canvases, etc. All supplies could be left out at all times so I could escape, hide there any time I felt creative and needed an outlet. It would need to have a floor that could easily be cleaned. A large monitor that could show painting tutorials. Then I would try to attempt painting. It is on my bucket list and so far, looks like it will stay there forever. No one except me would ever have to see my paintings because I wouldn't except them to be good enough to show anyone. The other thing I'd like to have in a secret room is someone to clean my house, whenever it needed it so I could give up housecleaning and do fun stuff instead.

• havingfun
    hace 6 años

micea - yes the people who started the thread are in that business.

You know i never find room for my trophy wall, maybe that would be a great place for it? I want a wall that is like the hunters trophy wall but with fun stuff. like i saw a silver octopus tentacle or

KUDU Wall Sculpture, Small, Nickel · Más información

Interior Illusions Plus White One Finger Pointing Wall Mount, 8" Long · Más información

Hand Grabbing Wall Hook · Más información
    a few that i love.

• mlcea
    hace 6 años

@havingfun Thanks! Im not sure where they are located, I think I’ll have to keep googling around for my area. Most carpenters in Atlanta I’ve contacted have never done one of these.

• havingfun
    hace 6 años

ahhhh... what a boring place the world is. maybe the people on here could work with someone local?

• mlcea
    hace 6 años

Yes, it can certainly be a Boring place at times. It’s ok not to know something, but it’s a different thing when you just don’t want to try or do anything new... thanks @havingfun. I’ll look into that!

• PRO
    Creative Home Engineering
    hace 6 años

@mlcea Our entire 14 year business is literally nothing other than building secret doors. We actually ship the pre-built passageway (whether that's a bookcase or lifting staircase) to anywhere in the world. Feel free to reach out if you have any Qs.

Ready Ship Secret Doors

Custom Secret Doors

• pwlong
    hace 6 años

We "hid" our crawlspace door within the cabinetry of our theater room:

http://havingfunalongtheway.com/basement-home-theater-custom-cabinetry/

• Amanda Ngo
    hace 4 años

A room all to myself where I can secretly charge my phone or plug in anything else I want, maybe something to pop some popcorn.

• heatheron40
    hace 4 años

Oz and ruby slippers 😉

• Alice Edwards
    hace 4 años

Toilet paper.... :)

• Barry McClorrine
    hace 2 años

Lol a bad kid cell lol

• Steve Rollre
    el último año

Spy ninja room

• zoey z
    el último año

Water and food.

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    el último año

Mistress

• Lisa Renn
    el último año

We are building.....a safe room that will be conditioned to perfect temp for wine. Also gun safe and comfy seating.

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    el último año

LOL, mountains of cash!!!

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    el último año

@Lisa Renn "Comfy seating, liquor, and guns" You sure want that in the same room? LOL.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.