Houzz Logo Print
heatherscheddar

My awkward living room needs help!

heatherscheddar
hace 9 años
1. Window treatments needed. We recently had Marvin Infinity replacement windows installed with custom trim work. I want plantation shutters in the worst way...but does anyone else have other suggestions? I don't want to cover my trim but we are living in a fishbowl and I need a solution. What have you paid for wood shutters? No idea on range of cost. I know they won't be cheap!

2. Paint color needs to go...can't decide between creams or grays. Open concept, need one color throughout. Done with accent walls. Textured walls, too, so yuck.

3. Accessories...I have none. Just a mishmash of things I love?

4. Furniture stays, it is new.

Comentarios (59)

• heatherscheddar
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Oh my goodness this is my first post and I am so thrilled everyone has taken the time to reply! Moving the sectional isn't an option, as my kitchen island starts just a few feet past it. We used to have giant man-cave overstuffed La-Z-Boy sofas (18 years old, my hubby used to be the leather buyer for LZB) and I finally convinced him to let me get what I love.

I will definitely ditch the lamps. I was thinking just a simple metal pole and flat base (not technical terms, I realize).

Will most definitely pursue shutters for the bedrooms...I like the advice to soften the space with some fabric. Especially since hardwoods are coming in 2016 :)

Been researching family photo wall on this site and have gotten some terrific ideas.

This "graige" color palette sounds perfect, I haven't shopped for paint in 8 years. Who knew?!

Thank you all again!
  • Ruth Felice
    hace 9 años

love that alcove,use a nice curtain on all the windows,greige vanilla and paint that little inset a darker tone or a wallpaper in the same pattern as the curtains a nice bookshelf or a small desk and upholstered chair.paint or stain the furniture or get a darker tone and get a larger tv or do a photo wall in black frame around the tv so it looks like a part of pics

• Conversaciones relacionadas

Pls help with floor plan design

Q

(0) comentarios
    Gm everybody, My wife and me are trying to design our new kitchen, and we are a bit concern about its location in the house. This is a DIY project, so we are looking for opinions. As you can see in the picture, we are creating the kitchen room at the left bottom side and keeping a garden at the left upper. Our first idea was to locate the kitchen close to the living door (upper in the picture) but we would like to mantain the garden. Thanks in advance for any kind of help!! Rodri
    ...Ver más

Aire acondicionado por conducto

Q

(2) comentarios
    The benefits of cassette air conditioning units https://www.airconditionersductless.com/ · Based on the fact that cold air falls, cassette a/c units which are mounted on ceilings ensure that the air is well distributed in the room. These air conditioning units have very powerful fans which can ensure that air is circulated in a larger space compared to other air conditioning units. · Because cassette air conditioning systems are usually mounted in the ceiling, basically floating or false ceiling, cassette a/c units do not consume essential space. · The condenser of the cassette air conditioning unit is typically located outside the building. As a result, a cassette a/c unit doesn’t make any noise, and this makes it the perfect choice for businesses and residential buildings. · Another benefit of a cassette air conditioner is its programmable thermostat and variable speed fan. This means that the user can adjust the room temperature, which helps in saving electricity bills. · Cassette air conditioners have been proven to be very energy efficient. The disadvantages of cassette air conditioners · Because cassette air conditioning units are mounted on the ceiling, it means that their compressors are situated outside. In large buildings, the distance between the air conditioning unit and the compressor can be relatively long, and this means that many holes should be drilled in the walls during installation. This can be costly and time-consuming. · If a person is considering to install a cassette air conditioning unit in the office or warehouse, it would mean that the individual needs more than one air conditioning unit. This can significantly increase the cost. · If a person lives in a building with many storeys or runs his or her business in a building with many storeys, the person is not guaranteed that the ceilings in the building will have sufficient space to allow the installation of a cassette a/c unit. If there is no sufficient space, then you can be forced to choose other types air conditioners, which cannot be energy efficient and silent like cassette air conditioners. However, before a person chooses an air conditioner, be it for business or residential building, they should ensure that they seek professional advice as this ensures that they get an air conditioner which suits his or her need.
    ...Ver más

Windows Treatment

Q

(0) comentarios
    The type of window, as well as the orientation of the room, are determining factors when choosing curtains. It is also important to consider the light we need in this space as well as the degree of privacy we want. The curtains help to dress anywhere so it is so important that you dedicate time to your choice and we help you in that. ☎️305-699-5589 Free Consultation www.artecblinds.com @artecblinds #blinds #windowtreatments #blackoutcurtains #curtains #interiordesign #interior_and_living #interiordesigner #decor #design #housedesign #homestyle #house #housedecor #homedecor #luxurylifestyle #luxuryhomes #styleathome #apartmentdecor #innovation #remodeling #renovation #roominspiration #roomdecor #love #beautiful #instagood #brickell #miami #realestate #generalcontractors
    ...Ver más

complimentary colors

Q

(0) comentarios
    Due to a leak I need to repaint my kitchen, and surrounding walls which leads eventually to my living room . I need HELP to find a color that compliments my CREAM Kitchen cabinets and the living room color which is BERKSHIRE BEIGE. I think I want shade of white to brighten up my kitchen and family room and hopefully compliment the Berkshire Beige (BM paint color).
    ...Ver más
  • heatherscheddar
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Thanks Ruth! I like the wallpaper idea and thought a fun graphic in neutral tones... Just have to figure out how to hang on the "knockdown" texture. I'm sure there is a way!
  • redhandgang
    hace 9 años

Put a mirror on the opposing wall to the window to create a breadth to the room and double your light.

• Kris G
    hace 9 años
    I've had great luck ordering shades and blinds from Smith Noble. Top down bottom ups are great for varying seasons, sunlight and neighbors. There seems to be an orange tone to the furniture stain so get big swatches to see what you like. Cute dog :)
  • PRO
    Applesteam Limited
    hace 9 años
    Última modificación: hace 9 años

With the furniture and lamps you have, we'd make it look like a traditional English grand house living room. We'd use a wallpaper to mimic wood panelling, which is available in light beige or grey, both are a nice neutral that will allow for a nice accent colour of your choice. Either deep red cushions and red patterned rug will help add the accent colour. The idea of creating a traditional English living room would allow you to have an eclectic range of accessories. Place artefacts/vases/ornaments in threes and don't be afraid to mix them up, like Victorian English houses were (Victorians would bring souvenirs from their travels: called the Grand Tour). Vases, trinket boxes, sculptural pieces will all fit in nicely. A wooden venetian blind will help you control views in and out of the room as well as controlling the light. But We would also add big red drapes, scrunched up onto the floor to give a rich fullness.

like the above picture but with red accents and this type of wallpaper

and this colouring

have fun and enjoy adding to the look, don't be afraid to mix up styles and patterns. Keep the lamps but add deep red shades. xx

• er612
    hace 9 años

Since it's going everywhere, I would paint the walls the color of the light trim on your lampshades (so my vote is cream). I actually think the room needs curtains so no need for shutters.

• kentuckyborn
    hace 9 años

With your gray furniture and floors, I'd use another color on the walls. My choice would be SW Kilim Beige - it goes well with the gray and lends itself to several different accent colors. Buy a sample of the paint (under $7) and try it in several different places on the walls. You'll get an idea of how it will look in different light at various times of day.

• jck910
    hace 9 años

Great placement of TV. Most people put them too high. I agree the sectional needs to be moved back. I think I'd ditch the sofa table so the sectional could be moved back

• Barbara Almandarz
    hace 9 años

You've done a lovely job so far. What color is your carpeting? Looks a cool tone. Your seating is a cool gray tone too? Go with a cool beige tone for a bit of interest. I love your seating choices and your lamps. Your tables however are too bulky for the scale of your couches. Since you don't want to invest in new tables, eliminate the sofa table -(move to the wall that is opposite your TV or by the window). I'd put both your tables and lamps on the wall where your TV is. It will help balance that wall. That would mean a bit of rearranging your seating. By eliminating your sofa table, you can move your couch back. Then you can move your two seater closer to the couch, making room for your end table on the TV wall. I would get a light and airy coffee table for your "L" shaped grouping but NOT matching what you already have. Maybe something like this? You already have a lot of leather and wood in the room. I'd introduce a little metal. Putting in something round will help soften all the straight lines you already have.

As for window dressing, consider 2" blinds rather than wood shutters. Wood shutters are beautiful but can overwhelm your room. You have chosen scaled down furniture and your window dressing should be to scale with that. I would add some pattern to the room with 2 colorful panels on either side of the window (outside the trip) for color and texture.

You also should think about adding some color to your room via curtains and artwork. Because your room is such a great neutral, find a great piece of art that you love and take your cues from that.

I'd try to define the space behind your couch by adding an area rug onto of your carpeting. I'd put a large plant in the corner to the left of the window and an little entrance table/mirror on the larger wall to the right of your window. Let that space be an entrance/hallways to the rest of the house. But right now, with the carpeting the way it is, it can be a little confusing.

• redjewels31
    hace 9 años

Hello. First of all I love your sectional! I think a chocolate brown would be delicious with your sectional. I would move the entire sofa -45 degrees so that the short end is parallel on same wall as your television. It will balance the wall with the small TV and table beneath it. I would then get a linen flax covered easy chair with matching ottoman for the opposing corner. This will free up one side table, the sofa table, and the blue club chair for another room. One problem in this room as it sits is too much table space. The wooden tables are heavy and take up a large area of visual space. The result will be a room that will appear to double in size while increasing the "cozy"....just one possible solution :)

• heatherscheddar
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Ok I moved the sofa table to the weird space/alcove and bumped the sectional back by about 4 inches. That was all I could do without crowding the sofa table and taking away from the look of the alcove. I cannot move the sectional, as there isn't enough room along the TV wall for the shorter side as some have suggested. The carpet is builder-grade and 8 years old and is getting ripped out next Spring so I am disregarding it while decorating. The whole 1800 SF ranch will be hardwood, except the bathrooms. The wall where the 2-seater is opens right up to my kitchen so I'm stuck there too.

I have gotten some tremendous ideas from everyone! Can't wait for hubby's bonus next month so we can get cracking! :)
  • christina405
    hace 9 años

I'm seconding the idea of top-down/bottom up blinds. They can be quite cheap and might be a temp solution for privacy and light. Plantation shutters that are divided so just the top can be completely open during the day would be delightful! Also agree with large mirror on opposite wall. You might consider making the wall behind the TV dark (a darker tone of whatever color you end up with) to make it disappear. Also I preferred that table behind the sofa. It just looks lonely now. Needs some flowers or sculpture or books too.

• OldGrayMare
    hace 9 años
    I like that you have removed that sofa table. And while I love tripod lamps, the two you have I'm just not feeling the love with them...it's coming across as too "matchy-matchy"....same with the end tables. You need to mix'er up more. The tables are too high for the sofa, and everything looks too "square". Turn one of those lamps into a floor lamp (tripod is fine)....keep the other but put it on a round end table that is in an interesting material....carved wood, basket with glass top, something different and in a different color/tone than what you have. Will do some web-searching and post what I find as ideas.
  • PRO
    Timothy Rivers Interiors
    hace 9 años

Wow...I think you have some great pieces to start..

You just need some color and pizzaz...

Look into Bradley USA, Arteriors, Worlds Away and Joybird...

I think these vendors will offer some pieces to complete the space.

I think the wooden tables are too heavy and boxy...

I know there is a lot going on here...but I think the gray pieces you have could work nicely with this palatte and style.

I have a few blog posts that may help you out..

www.timothyriversinteriors.com/blog

Happy Designing!

• jillll
    hace 9 años

Love your couch so would go with a grey for wall color....I did the same. Sherwin Williams have a lot of lovely greys and they have a list of most popular greys from year to year.

• blrussell
    hace 9 años
    Just wanted to say a mishmash of things you love sounds like great accessories. Hope you can work them in your room.
  • er612
    hace 9 años

Would any of these layouts work (I guessed on the dimensions). I moved the ottoman under the sofa table in the first pic. I'd actually do this regardless just to break up the leather. For what it's worth, I like the first layout best. If it works, I think it really opens up the room. It also gives you plenty of room for a coffee table.

• heatherscheddar
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    The sofa table in the alcove DOES look lonely...and the space in front of it is so cavernous that I'm afraid no amount of accessories is going to cut it. My husband is also pitching a (mild) fit because he has nowhere to put his drink when he's curled up in the corner of the sectional, so it's going back. :)

OldGrayMare-I agree on the lamps. We bought them 4-ish years ago when we had red roman shades and big comfy furniture so it "went" better. They are going. I do need more lighting in the corner by the 2-seater, so I'll have to find some sort of floor lamp.

The tables are massive and solid wood and we paid $1500 for them (including a matchy-matchy even-more-massive coffee table that's in the basement) when we moved here 8 years ago. These are non-negotiable unfortunately, budget-wise and husband-wise. He chose them. And I must admit the pattern on the top is gorgeous (Image 1). I could soften the look with some lamps that are prettier with curved lines...?
  • heatherscheddar
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Don't think my last comment posted...

Image 1 didn't attach to comment

Image 2 - er612 - attaching image of how close room is to kitchen so I am really stuck with the sofas where they are. I am so appreciative of the time you took to lay those options out!

We avoiding buying new pieces for ages because of this crazy layout!
  • Barbara Almandarz
    hace 9 años

I can see why you love those tables. The woodwork is spectacular. Perhaps moving the lamps to show off the tables will make them look less bulky. I love your lamps too, but I think together, it's a bit overpowering. If you get a glass coffee table, (round to break up all the straight lines), your hubby can put his drink there. I understand the need for the room to function as well as look nice. I think the Sofa table really needs to go elsewhere. Once you put in your wood floors, things will look very different. I'd wait to paint and dress windows/buy furniture/lamps until you have chosen your flooring. The light will affect everything!

• jbgoeller
    hace 9 años

Try steves for the wood shutters or blinds, incl woven woods. They have the best prices!

• er612
    hace 9 años

Just thought of something. What if you move the sofa table to the left corner of the nook. Then move the sofa back so that it lines up with the table. Is that too far back? If it isn't, I think it would work pretty well and your husband would have a table at the right height to set a drink. Here's a quick drawing of what i'm describing.

Honestly, the fact that you have a dachshund is why I'm so eager to help. :) I grew up with one and my parents have 2 now. My building doesn't allow dogs so I'm always envious when I see someone with a dog. It's probably best I can't have one because my place would quickly become a dog shelter.

• OldGrayMare
    hace 9 años
    Okee dokee...the end tables stay! Are you game for changing out the lamps? Think you are right in thinking the tripod shape for the table lamp isn't working...needs something with a rounded base that anchors it to the table. How about one of these? LampsPlus even has similar shapes in a vast number of colors (ceramic) in case you need/want a pop of color.
  • groveraxle
    hace 9 años

You have a dachshund? Where is he? I didn't see him in the photos. Axle was a dachshund. Best dog I ever had next to Grover. OK, I'll get cracking now. Your wall hung console is too short for your TV. Can you get another?

• redjewels31
    hace 9 años

I have another thought now after studying your room again....What would you think about moving the end table that is closet to the camera....move it down the back of the soft and against the wall where the sofa back and the wall make a 90degree angle? I would then move the sofa table to the entryway or perhaps a bedroom. You could put 2 matching lamps on the 2 end tables. There really is too much wood in the room compared to soft coverings. I really like the balance the mirrored end tables with matching lamps would supply against the long sectional side identifying the space!!! I think you will be pleasantly surprised. When your hubby bonus comes in you might think about a large ottoman that has storage inside. That way you have the convenience of a table without heavy wood but additional storage!!! To finish it off, I would put a nice plant OR a beautiful Mexican pot or Japanese Koi pottery at the end of the sofa. What do you plan for your windows? I love to create illusion with my windows. I make valances from the tops of the windows up to the ceiling. I extend it 8" to 10" beyond the window on EACH side of the window. I then add coordinating solid colored dupioni silk drapes. This will give the illusion of a larger, more prominent window and provide the luxury of dupioni without the expense common to silk drapes. You can usually just use alligator hooks along the top with a simple seam sewn on your home sewing machine. The dupioni will need to be replace within 3 years because the sun will bleach it since it is an organic fabric, but WE LOVE TO DECORATE SO OOOH WELL HUBBY....no when did you say that new bonus will be here dear? :)

• er612
    hace 9 años

groveraxle - check out the pic she posted last night. Also in 2 of the initial pics. Hint: where there's sun, there's a dachshund.

• groveraxle
    hace 9 años

Paint and hardwood are going to make a huge difference in this space.

• groveraxle
    hace 9 años

Found him, er612. Easy to spot once I looked for the sun. ;-)

• heatherscheddar
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Groveraxle you blew my mind with that rendering!!!!!!! Oh my that bonus can't get here quick enough!
  • heatherscheddar
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Been thinking I could add to my new floating TV stand. Can't do both sides, the addition is 24" wide and I can't fit it without getting to close to the sofa. I think it looks nice with just one side...gets away from symmetry this way. Plus give me somewhere for accessories, another place to add color and interest.
  • heatherscheddar
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Redjewels31 - I'm going with something inside the windows to keep the clean lines. My first love is plantation shutters...but after so many great ideas posted here, I am going to look at bottom-up shades and also fabric shades. Something textured and linen-ish (is linen-ish a thing? Lol)

I used to have grand drapes mounted further out to make the windows look bigger and roman shades mounted inside. Too much fabric...so I'm going with less time around.
  • groveraxle
    hace 9 años

I'm in a green and orange mood tonight.

• groveraxle
    hace 9 años

Heather, your TV console idea is perfect. Go for it!

• Vicki B
    hace 9 años

How about a sizable bench in the "window nook? I do think the bench would need an upholstered top (fabric or leather), as opposed to a wooden seat, as the area would need some softness to go with all the beautiful woods. I know it has to work well with the family member/dog. These are just ideas; but, groveraxle and Heather, what do you think? And, yes, certainly, it could be a "pop" of color that would not divert but enhance the overall look of the space ... which is beautiful! :)

Susanna Bench · Más información

Jonathan Bench · Más información

Butler Spa Bench · Más información

Martha Stewart Living™ Lombard Long Bench · Más información

Madison Park Antiqua Bench · Más información

• Ashoo
    hace 9 años
    Hi Groveraxle ! Need your valuable advice once again , how should we put tiles in our guest bathroom . It is a 5ft by 8 ft space . The tiles are 3ft by 1 ft . I want to use two colours...black tiles and white tiles
  • jsusanne
    hace 9 años

I loved my white wooden shutters from Hunter Douglas. They were the one thing I hated to leave behind when I moved to a new city! So many options and solutions from this company which is top of the line in service and masterful installation.

http://www.hunterdouglas.com/shutters/newstyle

Susanne

• Kathryn Karch
    hace 9 años
    If I'm understanding you you want accent or textured walls or only one color?

I would pick your main color of course

I know this will sound dull but it actually comes out very elegant and warm

I saw it done in another house and I thought what a great idea and I would not have thought so if I had not seen it

A light brown as a main color . Goes with almost everything

Then one wall in s solid sccent color

Blues , reds,greens any would go you just have to decide what shade
    Get a card board paint in colors you are thinking about and make sure you put up against wall in the room

We do have the off white shudders and it was the best investment we made

It also adds to the look of the outside of your house

I have s couple rooms where I added a light et drapery and that looks pretty good

But most I've kept just shudders

We had 8 windows done and two of those were very big.the cost was about five k for all of them including trim and labor .

I wish now I had had the last three done and will do soon
    It just goes so well you can make the lighting what ever you elegant from light to dark

You can open them all the way up if you have room which brings in a Lot of light and a different look for some days
    Or keep the closed and open the slats all the way for light or half way for less
    That is what Is great about shudders is that you have so many options.

And they clean easily and last a long time maybe forever

Shop around and get quotes the difference between one company and another can be a lot
    Check out your local hardware store for prices sometimes they are better than you would think
    Or pick some contractors online and some of them can even give you a quote online

Buy most want to come out and measure

Ask people who have them where they got theirs and if it was a good deal,

Anyway
    Those are options for window and paint

Balances either custom made with a block of word or bought for use in a rod

I did not notice if you have any rugs in the room that add effect as well as color
    And make sure you get pillows and throws or even just pillows if picked out with a nice color can make a huge difference on
    On a solid couch

Stuck with just a few special pieces of decorative items on your tables

Always go with odd numbers
    One
    Three
    Five
    Are better than two
    Four six when your adding decorative items

As far as wall decor you said you like clean lines and not a look of clutter

Get a couple of art decor that you really love first

Then you ca add as you go

There are also tons of things that can be built
    For example wood beams or posts work well in some rooms
    Or crown moulding and nice baseboards can addalot of style to a room without cliter
    Or build a wall or part of a wall of either cabinets or shelves or floating shelves

Hope this helps a bit
  • christina405
    hace 9 años

Love the idea suggested by a couple folks above for using the alcove. Either a "reading" chair or a bench makes sense of the space. Or a built-in window seat could also offer storage below -- or space for a dog bed.

• nef123
    hace 9 años

We've got a "fishbowl" issue too and are in the process of deciding how to cover our new windows. One option that we've looked at is the Graber Dual Shade---it has two completely independent roller shades in one treatment. The one on the street side is a privacy shade and the one on the room side is virtually anything that you want.
    It's not a "top down, bottom up" type of shade---both shades are the traditional up-from-the-bottom type. I like the idea of being able to get a non-occlusive decorative shade and still having the option of privacy when needed. We looked into decorative shades with privacy liners but the liners are a bit unattractive from the street---buttons and strings, not very nice.

What's funny is that I was thinking of doing this myself, using two shades, when I saw the Graber treatment. Not sure on the pricing yet but it is definitely in the running for rooms that need privacy.

Click on "roller shades" in the "filter by product" box on this site---first pic on the left.

http://www.graberblinds.com/get-inspired/photo-gallery.jsp#.VPRaA_nF_ng

• er612
    hace 9 años

Just curious - Did you try my last layout or is it too far back? Might give you room to bring back your coffee table. I don't think it takes away from the alcove. Instead, I think it connects it to the room.

• heatherscheddar
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    er612 - Hi there...I did try it yesterday with the help of the whole family. I should have snapped a pic, it just looked unbalanced somehow. Any thing is worth a shot... Thank you!!!
  • Nicole Williams
    hace 9 años
    all nice pieces but the side tables seem large. At least move the table from behind the sofa. may be u can use it in your entry way. Wall art can u create your own. Plant or two
  • sheilaskb
    hace 8 años

Since you have a grey sectional, I would suggest walls in an off-white or cream. Once you choose an accent color, I would suggest you get a large area rug that is a print that includes the accent color. You might add removable covers for throw pillows in the accent color and also look for wall art that contains some of the accent color, plus cream and grey to tie in with the sofas and the suggested wall color.

• heatherscheddar
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Sadly, almost a year later...found a great color and painted last weekend. Decided on carpet since this isn't our forever house and I couldn't justify the cost. Started on kitchen instead, much cheaper :)

Since this room is connected to my kitchen and the new backsplash has rust, cream and gray tones, I am going to go with rust accents and maybe throw some blue into it!
    Photo 1 - paint and carpet
    Photo 2 - before
    Photo 3 - after
    Photo 4 - kitchen before (primer over red paint
  • heatherscheddar
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Photo 5 - kitchen after paint, backsplash and under cabinet lighting
  • groveraxle
    hace 8 años

The paint looks great. Now how about choosing a piece of art and some pillows and a throw to go with? Everything you have now is nice, but it doesn't look lived in yet. ;-)

• heatherscheddar
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Hi groveraxle! Flooring being installed as I write this, then time to shop just after Christmas! Can't stop thinking about that great punch of green you added to the initial post... I am getting some greenery for sure, and will go with bright orange accents. Family voted for orange!
  • heatherscheddar
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    And hammered nickel lamps too!
  • groveraxle
    hace 8 años

I had to go back and see what I'd done. Yes, a dose of bright will make this room shine.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.