Houzz Logo Print
moereenie

Subway Tile advice

Maureen Williamson
hace 9 años

I can't decide whether to get shiny or matte finish for white subway tile for my kitchen and also would like opinions on 2 x 8 or 3 x 6 subway tiles. I think I would prefer 2 x 8's but maybe there is some reason the 3 x 6's seem to be the most popular.

Here is a picture of my kitchen. The countertops are granite with a suede finish and the cabinets are Alabaster White which is, I think, a Sherwin Williams color. So the finishes of counter tops and cabinets is matte.

The wall paint is Dover Gray which is darker than it looks in this picturer. The subway tile will go in all the usual places that subway tile would go and I would like to know how high up I should go. I've been advised to go a little beyond the bottom of the cabinets. Also, I think I'd like to do something different with the back splash for the "hutch" area but have been advised that I should keep it the same. I wanted to do some mirror tiles and make that area stand out as the congregating area that I want it to be. Here's a picture of that area:

Thanks for any help you can give.

Comentarios (23)

• Lia
    hace 9 años

Hello- I think the 3 x 6 is a more traditional size (and less expensive) and the 2 x 8 is more modern. Best of luck! Post pictures when you are done!!!

• Maureen Williamson
    Autor original
    hace 9 años

Thank you, Lia. Do you think the 3 x 6 is more likely to stand the test of time, style wise?

• sandradclark
    hace 9 años

Don't go with the mirror tiles, please. You are right on track. Classic, traditional, forever.

• greenfish1234
    hace 9 años
    Matte, as your kitchen is matte, and no to mirror tile. It should match. Make it stand out with a vase of flowers, or alcohol, which is guaranteed to draw guests! I would want my tile to go to the ceiling at sink and stove. Great kitchen!
    Maureen Williamson agradeció a greenfish1234
  • Lia
    hace 9 años

I definitely think so! That's why so many people also go with 3 x 6. (In my opinion). BTW by the cook top I would bring it all the way up.

• Maureen Williamson
    Autor original
    hace 9 años

Thank you, Sandra. I had thought of going all the way up at the stove. I also have looked into stainless still back there with a shelf for my often used oils, etc. I'm a little afraid of too much stainless but I love it in other kitchens.

• Maureen Williamson
    Autor original
    hace 9 años

Thank you, greenfish, we definitely have the alcohol part in place!

• PRO
    Gina Paris Design
    hace 9 años
    Última modificación: hace 9 años

Does the showroom, where you're buying the tiles, have someone that is knowledgable in their products and design that can help you with this project? If so, I recommend that you ask them for suggestions too.

Your kitchen has a modern feel, so why not keep it going with the 2x8 subway tile?

Your stainless steel back with shelf is a great idea. I also agree with the other suggestions made- it's really up to you.

Hutch: Use the same tiles, but ask tile sales person what your options may be.

I love glossy finishes, but I've had shiny white tile on my counters and found it so hard to clean (little hairs, lint, etc. stuck to it while I was trying to clean it) that I ripped it out soon after installing it; I suggest trying to clean each tile sample to see if either one will be a problem.

Maureen Williamson agradeció a Gina Paris Design
  • Maureen Williamson
    Autor original
    hace 9 años

Gina, I chose my suede counter top finish because the glossy ones showed water spots when I tested them out so I appreciate your comment about the shiny tiles. I think matte is the way I'll go with the subway tiles.

• Ann
    hace 9 años

Pretty kitchen. It's going to look great!

• skiwasser
    hace 9 años
    I would definitely take it all the way up to ceiling above the cooktop. We did it and I love it. We tried it all the way up over the sink but felt we lost the "effect" having it both places. Going to put a roman shade starting at the ceiling and just skimming the window. Ours are glass tiles, matte and shiny, 65/35 mix. You can always start with the cooktop area all the way up and live with it for a bit. Then if you want it over the sink it's easy to add. We just taped a bunch up over the window area after the cooktop area and made our decision. Your kitchen is beautiful and very clean looking. I agreed with others, no mirror tiles. Less is more.
    Sorry for rambling. Attached a pic of ours.
  • horselover222
    hace 9 años
    A grey subway tile would look nice!
  • mick50
    hace 9 años

How about gray glass subway?

DeWils White Inset · Más información

• Maureen Williamson
    Autor original
    hace 9 años

I do love the look of the gray tiles. Would they stand the test of time and would they be hard to work with when we or whoever has the house next wants to change paint colors?

Skiwasser, your kitchen is gorgeous! I really like the mix of matte and shiny tiles and I hadn't thought of doing that.

• PRO
    B Fein Interiors LLC
    hace 9 años

I would use 3 x 6 white tile (beveled if you can get it) and keep all the areas to be tiled consistent. I would tile up to the bottoms of the cabinets (not sure what you mean by a little beyond the cabinets). Important: use a grey grout to tie in the other darker elements; wearability will be improved, and it will look more "kitchen" and less "bathroom" :)

Maureen Williamson agradeció a B Fein Interiors LLC
  • blueberrycoveinn
    hace 9 años

I lust after kitchens like yours. I like the matte tile suggestions too. If you really want mirrors tiles hold that dream for another kitchen. You could put a few small beveled mirrors or framed mirrors and hang them on the tiles by the hutch. Oval mirrors or scrolled mirrors not plain square or rectangular shapes would sing to me. Then if you hate it all you have lost is some time.

• PRO
    Gina Paris Design
    hace 9 años

Unless you're staging your home to sell, go with what makes YOU happy. ;-)

P.S. Gray is a neutral color... it will last.

Maureen Williamson agradeció a Gina Paris Design
  • Rosemary Freitas
    hace 9 años

Go matte. It is a classier finish.

Maureen Williamson agradeció a Rosemary Freitas
  • Judy Mishkin
    hace 9 años

i'd do around the window and behind the hood.

another finish choice would be crackle... its more reflective than matte but you dont get a big flat reflective surface, its only the size of the crackle pattern so its a little lively.

Maureen Williamson agradeció a Judy Mishkin
  • Maureen Williamson
    Autor original
    hace 9 años

Thank you, Rosemary and nnigrt! It's nice to have some more input.

• greenfish1234
    hace 9 años
    what did you choose? Pics?
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.