Houzz Logo Print
shbrown3

Help with fireplace and mantel

shbrown3
hace 9 años
This fireplace feels oversized for the room and I think the proportions are a bit off. Any suggestions on how to decorate this area? Can't replace anything structurally, just looking for suggestions on how to work with it..

Comentarios (78)

• Emmy
    hace 9 años
    Don't paint. It's all so beautiful and classic. I love the idea of a horizontal mirror. I actually like the urns where they are. Put in some ferns, and they'll be perfect. I'd take both hurricanes off the mantle though.
  • PRO
    Darla Scheuerman
    hace 9 años
    Not solving the problem at hand, but the mirror shown needs to stay where it is beautiful piece for that room.
  • PRO
    Darla Scheuerman
    hace 9 años
    I would find the right size painting for the mantel. Take down the vases. The birch idea is genius, and on the other side if the hearth maybe a serving tray with large mugs, and a white or cream throw and a book.
  • shbrown3
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Thanks for the comments. I also really like the idea of the birch logs, so will be on the lookout for the right container. I am also looking forward to finding the right piece of art.

I am glad as well that the mirror is staying in my dining room. If I had moved it, I would have had to post a new request for help :)

Thanks for taking the time to help me - I truly appreciate it.
  • horselover222
    hace 9 años
    I would also suggest white washing the brick on your fireplace.
  • shbrown3
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Thanks horselover22. I have thought so many times of painting the brick, but haven't quite had the nerve yet. I like this picture a lot! It is a softer effect than just painting.

I am definitely going to investigate the idea. Thanks for the picture.
  • Kurt Eisenburger
    hace 9 años
    Well I would start by getting rid of the 4 Huge pieces you have currently on the hearth and mantel. Then I would paint the bookshelves and entire fireplace the same color. ( Even the brick ) That will blend it in a lot better. I would keep the fireplace and mantel free of objects and just decorate the shelves when complete.
  • horselover222
    hace 9 años
    Yes it is a very sort and smooth look! I love white washed brick on fireplaces!!
  • pcmom1
    hace 9 años
    Última modificación: hace 9 años
    How about taking white chalk and rubbing it all over the brick? That would give the whitewashed effect without permanently committing to paint.

If folks actually sit on the hearth, to protect their clothes, throw a couple of cushions there! At least that would be a way to try out the look.
    Traditional Living Room · Más información

East Tucson 120 · Más información
  • pcmom1
    hace 9 años
    Actually, in addition to chalking the brick, the top of the hearth would look really good capped with concrete or stone.
    New York Transformation · Más información
  • PRO
    Cottage Craft Tile
    hace 9 años
    Tiling over the brick with a white quartz ledger stone would make the fireplace less obvious.
  • lessismoore
    hace 9 años
    Okay, the shelves look so much better. Just fooling around with some mantle stylings and put some birch logs in the fire too. Maybe paint the urns white or Ivory?
  • horselover222
    hace 9 años
    Love it!
  • horselover222
    hace 9 años
    I would just paint the urns ivory or white.
  • suzyq53
    hace 9 años
    sh - Your shelves look so much better. They really are more of a design feature than storage. I was wondering if your shelves are adjustable.
  • suzyq53
    hace 9 años
    Hi again - I was looking at your pictures again and I think that if you get a different frame for your fireplace picture it would work for you. I'm thinking red or green or whatever color you want to pick up from the rest of the room. And I'm thinking the picture should not be in the middle but off to one side. Then get one more hurricane lantern and put the threesome on the other side. Colored candles would look good too..
    shbrown3 agradeció a suzyq53
  • PRO
    Gina Paris Design
    hace 9 años
    Don't hang a mirror above the mantle unless it casts a beautiful reflection of your room; instead use 3 smaller pieces of art or one long piece.

What about white washing the urns to soften them?
  • Paula Lewis
    hace 9 años
    I like the color of the brick,

Someone said that the book shelves are distracting from the fire place and they are right.
    Are the shelves fixed in place or can they be moved.
    If they can be adjusted, how would the urns look up there.
    They do pick up the color of the bricks really well.
    Otherwise, how about solid books and no objects?
  • PRO
    Julia & Elizabeth
    hace 9 años
    I was going to suggest removing the urns...but you already did! It's looks better without the urns. The urns need to find a new home. :)
  • shbrown3
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Oh my gosh, there are so many great suggestions here. I love the styling with the birch logs.
    I think the chalk idea is brilliant!!! A way to try it without committing. I also liked the picture with the slate on top. That fireplace is not that different from mine, so it was very helpful.

The shelves are moveable.. Those urns are antiques, so I don't think I want to paint them. I think they just need a new home. They are too heavy to put on the shelves, but I can look around for larger pieces to use on the shelves.

I am away from home right now, but will play with these ideas this weekend and post some pics.

Thanks for all the brilliant advice.

I really can't thank you enough.
  • greenfish1234
    hace 9 años
    So much better with just what you have done. The brick is beautiful, I would not paint. To add a hearth stone you would need major masonry, to keep hearth and firebox at same level. That pic looked nice, but this is a beautiful FP that doesn't need a major renovation. Do NOT paint the urns. I'd like to see at least one moved, maybe tall birch kindling in one to see if adding height helps. I think a framed picture will foreshorten the height and make it look more squat. I agree either a mirror attached to look like part of the unit or spare, as in the last pic w driftwood. Will find pic of mantle w mirror... Also don't fill the firebox with logs-don't you want to use it? Even if you don't, it should look like you do. Try setting 3-4 birch logs on fire grate as though laying a fire: this may draw the eye to the center.
  • greenfish1234
    hace 9 años
    Haha just saw you did the birch log thing. Mantle w mirror- http://houzz.com/photos/731927
  • greenfish1234
    hace 9 años
    You are so close. Just play with the urns and hearth tools: one urn only up, one urn only down, up with branches, down w branches, no urns, hearth tools up, hearth tools down, pillows on hearth...
  • greenfish1234
    hace 9 años
    And the more I look at it a thick piece of bluestone would be beautiful and break up the hearth and surround...table that for later if it still bothers you.
  • PRO
    Gina Paris Design
    hace 9 años
    Do you like the reflections in all of those mirror shots? Even if you have a beautiful chandelier, as in the first photo, the emptiness of a mirror will not balance out the bottom heavy brick. Use art and accessories with colors that naturally bring your eye all the way up.
  • Mona
    hace 9 años
    I think that mirror has been originally made for the top of your fireplace!
  • pcmom1
    hace 9 años
    I am thinking the urns would work well in the dining room on top of the buffet (put felt on the bottom of them to protect the furniture).

Maybe even on the dining table. Add small plants to each.
    Westchester Residence · Más información

Raveninside Interior Design · Más información
  • shbrown3
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Thanks Gina Paris Designs for your thoughts. I agree with your point that a mirror won't balance out the bottom heavy hearth. Even if the mirror I have would have fit, I don't think it is right.

There is nothing I love more than urns, and I think some would look great in the dining room, but these weigh over 70 lbs each. They are not huge, but they are heavy. I really think my porch is the right place for these monsters.
  • pcmom1
    hace 9 años
    70 pounds each!!!
  • jbcenturion
    hace 9 años
    I love it! Have you considered painting the bricks white? Honestly I would keep it simple. The art piece needs to be bigger for scale and that's all you need! You could do a mirror instead of art and then put some plants or a clock along with it?
  • CassidyZ
    hace 9 años
    Do not paint the bricks white. Brick is too pretty to paint IMHO.
  • suzyq53
    hace 9 años
    Or you could try leaving two shelves and lining up one as described above and put the other level with the trim on the side columns. I think you could try it both ways.
  • pcmom1
    hace 9 años
    You could take the shelves out, put up peelable solid color paper behind, and then accessorize again.
    Lot 948 @ Norton Commons · Más información
  • shbrown3
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    I am going to try suzyq53's idea later today - as she pointed out, it is free :)
    It seems kind of silly, but I never really looked at these shelves that closely and didn't think about adjusting them.
    This room is next on my list for painting, and then I can think about adding a subtle color to the shelves to add a different element. I think that would achieve pcmom1's idea, which I really like. Suzyq53, you also had suggested painting behind the shelves in an earlier post. I always like this when I see it done.

You have all been great. I so appreciate the positive and helpful comments.
  • shbrown3
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    I moved the shelves to line up with the mantel and tried styling with fewer objects. I have only done one side to see how it works.

What do you think?
  • Kurt Eisenburger
    hace 9 años
    much better
  • suzyq53
    hace 9 años
    Yep! It really makes a big difference. Funny how lining up with the mantel pulls your eye. Do the other side for sure. It will surprise you.
  • shbrown3
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Both sides :)
    I think the styling still needs some fine tuning, but fewer shelves and lining them up has improved things a lot. Thanks!

Now, I am going to go back over your past photos and see if I have some things that would work on the mantel. Or....might have to go to my favorite thrift and antique stores tomorrow!

I am also going to get some birch logs this weekend.
  • pcmom1
    hace 9 años
    Getting those shelves just so is a process of trial and error. You are getting there!
    Interior Staging Services · Más información
  • suzyq53
    hace 9 años
    SH - Awesome job! Its really looks different in terms of scale too. I love the beadboard cabinet backs. On their own they provide a charming feature. The more beadboard showing the more better. Now aside from the mantle, you just need something for the left side of the hearth. It needs to be something mostly white thats tall and somewhat slender. It could be one urn or three chunky white candleholders at different heights. You'll find the perfect thing or you may already have the perfect thing, That will really help break up the dark hearth.. Keep up the great work!
  • shbrown3
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    I will check the house tomorrow for something that would fit that description. Thanks for the idea. And then I can focus on the top of the mantle.
    I am so pleased with how it is looking! You have given me THE BEST advice.
  • Amy fromVA
    hace 9 años
    As far as painting the brick vs not painting, I was in the same boat with about the same color brick but much more of it. This room is in the beginning stages of a redo and this was my starting point.
  • shwshw
    hace 9 años

My thought is to put white wood "molding" from the floor to the top of the brick hearth. That would make the hearth look more like part of the room rather than a large lump sitting there. Once you see how that looks you can decide whether you want to paint the brick or not.

• shwshw
    hace 9 años

Just took a photo of my fireplace/hearth. The brick was already painted white when we bought the house, which I like

• User
    hace 9 años
    Don't paint the brick!

I like what you did so far. The pair of urns was overwhelming.

I would have a different solution for adding color. Rather than colored candles or candleholders or "things", I would add a little softness and life with a golden pathos plant (they thrive in low light) at an edge of the mantle and let it spill over the edge.
    If you are set on the urn by the fireplace, you might put a small plant in it.

Plants, to me, are an often-overlooked solution to bad feng shui as well as bad air quality...
  • steveludi
    hace 9 años

if it were mine i would remove the urns and replace them on the hearth with a fireplace tool holder wrought iron or wooden with bellows on one side and a polished brass u-shaped log holder with handle holding birch logs on the other side,birch logs inside fireplace ,snaky shaped horizontal ornamental branch either wooden or brass with candle holders above the mantle with two smaller sized oval shaped pictures on stands right and left sides.

• potchiemagoodleberry
    hace 9 años

so much advice already! I think I'd reintroduce some books to the shelves. stack some library style and others one-atop-another. this will add substance and texture. but don't fill completely with books, leave some space for some great accessories. I too think a subtle white wash on the bricks would be your easiest option...the contrast is very stark as they are now. and I'd go for a simple, asymmetrical arrangement on the mantel. perhaps with a piece of art or a B&W framed art photo leaning to one side to bring a more modern feel. this will also disguise the mis-balance of scale between lower 1/2 of FP and the upper. keep us posted!

• shbrown3
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Thanks for the recent advice. I still haven't decided what to do beyond the styling I have done so far. I chalked part of the brick to see if a white wash would work. I am not sure. The brick is actually a pretty variety, not too orangey. The basic problem really is the proportions are off. I like the idea of a plant and I can try that out.

Thanks so much everybody
  • thiskidd
    hace 9 años

Hi shbrown3,

Your fireplace is beautiful! I like your photo with everything off of it! The fireplace is beautiful on its own and is a strong statement which
    should be embraced not hidden, (especially not cluttered). Keep it
    simple, a single painting, mirror, or large bouquet of flowers for the
    season. I like the suggestion of the birch logs to lighten the base and
    balance the white wood.

Please don't paint the brick or its mortar.
    I don't know if you have the budget for it but the you might change out the screen from a black to a brown, dark bronze, or dark copper. It might soften and lighten the feel of the brick/base so it feels more balanced. You maybe able to do a fire-grade sponge texture brown/bronze/copper paint on the black screen frame, if you are skilled in such faux finishing.

I agree the real problem for this room is the TV....if you have a spare bedroom or den perhaps it could be moved to create an entertainment/movie/reading room. Best of luck!

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.