Houzz Logo Print
housebuilduk

In what order should I appoint architect,builder and interior designers?

housebuilduk
hace 11 años
I live in the UK and have bought a house,which will need some work.I would like the architect and interior designer to work closely together as I would like the builder and designers to work closely together.Do I just bring them together and let them deliver as per their brief at the start or do I introduce them at different stages?I am of the opinion that they are introduced from the beginning,or is this a disaster awaiting me?

Comentarios (3)

• PRO
    North Coast Construction, LLC
    hace 11 años
    In our market, there are two typical paths: Design-Bid-Build and Design/Build.

In the first, you would hire an architect or design firm to develop a plan. With a complete plan, you then have builders bid on the execution of that plan. The architect may refer you to builders that they are comfortable with or you can bring your own. Most builders won't get involved until a plan is fairly complete. If you would like a builder to be involved earlier in the process, some offer cost planning or consulting services for a fee prior to having a set of plans to bid on.

Under the second scenario, you hire a design/build firm from the start. This is a company that offers a full range of design and construction services under one roof. One advantage of this model is the easy communication between the design staff and the construction staff throughout the process.

There are pros and cons to both paths. If design/build is not available in your market, I would find a good architect and they will guide you through the whole process.
    housebuilduk agradeció a North Coast Construction, LLC
  • PRO
    GOAStudio London residential architecture limited
    hace 11 años
    Just to pick up from where North Coast Construction left off; great comment by the way, I agree with most of it.

The problem with design+build is that it might be possible to agree a build cost at the start of the project; on the other hand of course you will have a single point of contact (architect, builder, interior designer) for the whole project. Please note though that the architect's and designer's commitment will not be solely to you but shared with the builder who will (practically) employ them for you.

By appointing an architect initially (with an interior designer closely second when this is necessary) you can develop a design proposal, obtain the relevant local authority permissions (planning and building regulations in most cases) and then ask a number of builder to tender for the building works, which might lead to more competitive tenders. This is called traditional procurement.

Advantage: You appoint the design team separately to the builder (it means they are directly liable to you if you appoint professionals). Disadvantage: You appoint the design team separately to the builder (it means you will not have a single point of contact).

But as North Coast Construction said, find a good architect and they will guide you through the whole process; ask them if they are registered (ARB) or even better if they are registered and members of RIBA (Royal Institute of British Architects); if they are registered they are also legally obliged to carry professional indemnity insurance for your benefit (you can basically sue them if they are liable for something!)
    housebuilduk agradeció a GOAStudio London residential architecture limited
  • PRO
    User
    hace 9 años

interior architect first…can you send me the floor plans of your house.,please.mike

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.