Houzz Logo Print
jamiek1882

How should I decorate my entranceway?

jamiek1882
hace 11 años
última modificación:hace 11 años
Need help with how to decorate/what to buy for entranceway. As soon as you walk in you have the living room on right and dining room on left, so there isn't too much wall space (except where we currently have potted plant-but that can move!). It is a 2-story entrance.

Comentarios (27)

• PRO
    Studio NOO Design
    hace 11 años
    First, you need a bigger area rug to define the space on the tile floor, looks like you can go up to 5x8. Put a mirror or art work on the right wall. If the left wall after the dining room is long enough, add a nice upholstered bench near your big vase. To add contrast, paint the wall beneath the top railing a darker color (color from the rug), this color, greyish green maybe or caramel, could be put on the entrance wall too.
    Ah, I can recognize your family room in the back !
  • Emily H
    hace 11 años
    I would definitely say a big area rug, then put a fun chair angled into the corner where the vase is now like this perhaps.
    Colin Upholstered Arm Chair · Más información

Put a little side table next to it with an orchid on it.
  • brotherstx
    hace 11 años
    I like to see unique and creative takes on functional home accents. For example if your home featured lots of music related decor you could find or make a hat rack and umbrella holder that highlight the theme. Hope that gets your gears turning. Have fun!
  • PRO
    Fieldstone Hill Design
    hace 11 años
    Be sure you add some usefulness to your space, something that is both welcoming and yet functional for your family - so that this space does not get wasted like so many foyers do. For a list of 8 ways you can add usefulness and beauty to a foyer: http://www.fieldstonehilldesign.com/2012/08/decorating-a-foyer.html
    Live with beauty, and have fun creating a space you will love!
  • MelissaL
    hace 11 años
    I don't know how much space you have on the left but can see a plug.... What about a side board or buffet with a mirror above.... Maybe a lamp.... A geaogeous vase for flowers..
  • MelissaL
    hace 11 años
    I don't know how much space you have on the left but can see a plug.... What about a side board or buffet with a mirror above.... Maybe a lamp.... A geaogeous vase for flowers..
  • PRO
    User
    hace 11 años
    I would put a demilune table on the wall next to the vase, hang a nice round mirror with a decorative frame, a very thin tall lamp (on the idea of a buffet lamp) and a decorative bowl, dish, etc on top of the demilune. This will create varying heights and interest to the eye. The wall across from this I would do a collage' of small prints, possibly 5 (mirror will reflect this)
  • Catherine
    hace 11 años
    Hmm..more detail needed...how many people live there? Children? Ages? Pets? I'm with the entry from Fieldstone Hill Design...your foyer should be functional as well as beautiful.
  • bburkhardt39
    hace 11 años
    Última modificación: hace 11 años
    I would definitely put some sort of wording or elongated picture in the little strip under the railing on the wall below. In the corner where the vase its..I would put a round table into the middle of the floor and do an even more elaborate vase with flowers . On each side of the door I would put some sort of cute topiary. and over the door some Really large statement pictures. The wall with the door since its 2 story..you could paint that a nice dramatic color. Maybe a sofa table to put things on...and a small chair in the corner.
  • sblee
    hace 11 años
    I would place a chest on the wall perpendicular to the stairs....if you have room. Hang a mirror over it to bring light into the space or a picture to bring color into the foyer. Pick the colors up in the rug or vice versa. Place a dish or basket on top of chest to collect your mail, keys, etc. You might want to place a lamp on the chest for ambient lighting at night. A free standing coat rack and/or umbrella stand would add a little flair beside the door. Enjoy!!!
  • Evette Rose
    hace 11 años
    I would definately add a bigger rug with geometric lines, earth tone upon entering the home. A large decorated mirror seeing that the ceiling are high, so hasa to add volume to the space but not over bearing, with an accent table beneath it, with some glass decor. A hand painted art work on the otherside of the wall to compliment the rug and the accent table.
  • Delia Krimmel
    hace 11 años
    I love this area! It has an open feel from seeing into the living room but it also seems to be a convenient space (rectangular). I think it would look pretty cool to add a low and backless entryway couch by the left wall. I would do backless because you don't want to add more height since all staircase beams bring your eye up. Also a furniture piece that looks thick and sturdy (no thin legs) because that would emphasize too many vertical lines. Something with a dark wood so that it looks like it matches your living room furniture. The material on the couch should either be a muted solid color or even striped, to connect with the staircase lines. I'm thinking green and white for a more modern yet casual look or gold and white for a more elegant feel.
  • lphil
    hace 11 años
    I think you should consider a rounder type piece. Maybe a round table. You have a lot of angles, rectangles and squares going on in this photo. think something round would soften the flow.
  • PRO
    Refined Rooms
    hace 11 años
    I'd suggest some art above the fireplace in the family room to lure guests in. Add a round carpet in the foyer with a round table centered in the tiled area. A significant flower arrangement would be perfect for the table top. I would add large art on one of the walls to pull the eyes up to the grand space above. I'd frame the door with two upholstered seat chairs if space allows or one to the left of the door. The corner space would be a perfect place for a sculpture that is aligned with the wall and not to block the stairs. I think a soft and/or medium blue colour would be great in this area. You have lots of light from above and this colour would complement that of the sky views.
  • PRO
    lisa faley
    hace 11 años
    Put down the 5x8 rug, then right in the middle of the rug put a small round table. On top of the table could be a sculpture or beautiful flower arrangement...live orchids. Also on the table put a beautiful bowl. I would put a comfortable chair where your vase is.
  • PRO
    Cica Lisa Designs
    hace 11 años
    You have a very vertical space that needs addressing as well as the little corner. Hanging things in the second story area would incorporate the whole space. Bringing more color into the space to accent would be nice. You could even divide the high space with horizontal striping of color. I also think you need to do something with the bulkhead area under the catwalk. It is where your eye is immediately drawn. There are multiple options you could consider here. One is add an arrangement of framed artwork or clocks or sculptures. A more simple choice is to add a faux finish here with or without a stencil covering the whole depth. Modello Designs has a category called transitions that allow you to divide the area into 2 with pattern-- one option is http://www.modellodesigns.com/assets/files/151193.gif. This could be carried around the whole foyer at this same height to crate the accent stripe and divide the space.

I would like to see a colorful old carved door or maybe an armoire if there is enough space, it's difficult to tell, where your vase is. I agree with the other posters who mentioned adding definition to your mantel area to draw you in past the foyer. A large statement piece here would be nice.
  • Donna Forbis
    hace 11 años
    I love the idea of a rug in the center of the entryway to warm up the space. I also like the idea of using some sort of stenciling or wallies to put welcoming or inspirational phrases under the railing, but I would go just a bit further with it, and put a corresponding phrase on the wall above the door - something about traveling with care or coming again soon - that sort of thing. On the wall with the light switches, I would hang a piece of artwork or a family photo. Where the vase is, I would put a console table or hutch piece with some storage and a charging station with a mirror on the wall above. I don't think the space is large enough to warrant seating, but in the corner behind the door you could have an old-fashioned umbrella stand by your cold-air return vent.

Just some ideas. Would love to see what you finally do with the space once you make a decision! Good luck!
  • PRO
    Drapery and Home Makeover by Carlos Oliveira
    hace 11 años
    I would suggest you a nice area rug in order to warm the foyer up a bit, maybe a round table on that corner (I can't see how much space you have there in order to suggest the size) but the "most important" piece that would change your house value dramatically would be to "Stain the stair case hail and change all the vertical pieces (balusters) for CAST IRON BARS. You can find them at Home Depot or on line. That might be a bit of investment but you will going to have an extremely updated effect.

Traditional Staircase design by Chicago Interior Designer Michael Abrams Limited
  • PRO
    Ursula Koenig Designs
    hace 11 años
    Add a statement lighting fixture, something big, wonderful, colorful - it will set the tone of the house. Entry table (probably round in the center) with incredible accessory or super fun cabinet with a mirror over it at stair landing wall. No rug if it is high traffic. Cheers, Ursula
  • PRO
    Drapery and Home Makeover by Carlos Oliveira
    hace 11 años
    sorry couldn't attach the picture
  • PRO
    Ursula Koenig Designs
    hace 11 años
    I would also consider changing the door. The oval leaded glass is very traditional. However, if that's your style throughout, than keep. Cheers!
  • awmccar
    hace 11 años
    Definitely a statement light fixture in the foyer. I would also consider eliminating or moving the large armoire (I think it's an armoire buy not really clear). It looks really heavy here. And if in the budget change the front door. I agree that the leaded glass looks dated.
  • PRO
    Vikrant Sharma Homez
    hace 11 años
    A small bench and a area rug will do wonders .
  • PRO
    Alan Kosa Interiors
    hace 11 años
    Try warming up the space with an area rug to begin with. Next, I would recommend a center hall table metal legs and either stone, glass or wood top. Add a good sized porcelain or an artistic glass bowl for an accent ,on the table. if your budget allows, enhance the mouldings around the front door to get the a similar height of the trim into the rooms off the entry. Hire a millwork carpenter for professional installation. The space is calling for a dramatic chandelier that could be dropped allowing visibility through your front clearstory window above the front door. Last, add a tailored bench to the wall by the staircase with a gorgeous mirror to reflect the lighting and space. It would really define the space and says a great big welcome to your guests. Hope this helps for a solution!
  • msvickilynn
    hace 11 años
    Potted plant looks perfect. I would put two tall tress at each sie of the door and be done
    One fun thing to do would ve to stencil some meaningful pretty words above from the stairs.
  • PRO
    Inspired Interior Decorating
    hace 11 años
    I always like to add a chair of some kind, a console table (for keys,mail, etc.) and a mirror to check yourself in before leaving the house or answering the doorbell! Area rugs are nice too, especially round ones for a smaller space.
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.