Houzz Logo Print
lisajay

How do I unify the large addition and the original house?

lisajay
hace 11 años
I came across the HOUZZ website through a post on Pinterest while looking for mudroom ideas. It's become my favorite place to browse.
I wish we would have found it before we did our addition, I might not be in this dilemma.
We decided to add a large family room to our main floor to suit the needs of our growing family. ( 5 biological children, adopted 2 more, and are in process to adopt another.) The older ones are getting married and will be coming home to visit with their spouses. This led to an addition that included a walkout lower level and a master suite upstairs.
Our next project is to put a bathroom in the basement. (There are no rough-ins.) We'd like to have it be accessible to the addition and the original house where the guest bedroom will be located.
Looking at the house from the back, we think it needs more of an entryway/mudroom that will unify the two areas. We want the bathroom to be easily accessible to children playing in the backyard and to overnight guests.
We have a large concrete patio and a sizable playhouse connected by a small bridge, plus a deck between the original house and playhouse.
I know we could use building and landscaping ideas to tie it all together.
We do have a limited budget given the changes in our family dynamic within the past couple of years, but would love to make the space even more family friendly. Any suggestions for how the exterior could be more appealing and inviting?

Comentarios (8)

• PRO
    Lowrey Design Group, Inc
    hace 11 años
    It's difficult to comment without a floor plan (to know what is behind the rear walls and how far the deck extends), but as an architect I would suggest adding a 2nd floor deck from the element on the right side of the photo toward the rear property line to create the new guest bedroom and bath below on the ground level. Then you would have a 'U-shaped' configuration on the rear. Between the two legs of the 'U' add a pergola to define the resultant space and extend the pergola toward the rear property line as far as desired. Then you have a great place for a fireplace or firepit.

The window in the bay on the 2nd level would be replaced by a door through which you could walk out onto an open waterproof deck.
  • Micah Dickinson
    hace 11 años
    Última modificación: hace 11 años
    Perhaps build an open roof structure between the L shape between the original structure and the addition.
  • Micah Dickinson
    hace 11 años
    Like this:
  • TanCalGal
    hace 11 años
    I'm not sure I understand the question(s). I feel you may be overwhelmed with all of your family responsibilities and a very large home to care for. Perhaps it would be best to put off building projects for a while. I see touches of red in the patio pillows and some window coverings. Paint the back door red for a more inviting look also urns on each side of door will help. Can't see the yard for landscaping thoughts, but you seem to have more than enough patios and play areas right now. If you *need* a mudroom / entry, build one. But I don't understand the reasoning of building a mudroom / entry to enable the back door to look more inviting...and what does a basement guest bathroom have to do with all of this?
  • lisajay
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Thank you for the suggestions thus far. I like the idea of the pergola and the "red door."
    The need for a basement bath area is because everyone that uses the lower level of the house needs to trek to the front entry ion the main in order to use a bathroom. Thought it might be ideal to have one on the lowest level of the house so overnight guests and daytime visitors could use it when needed.
    I'm thinking of adding a small addition as a "mudroom" that would be utilized to tie in the addition to the original house - just a thought.
  • TanCalGal
    hace 11 años
    Could you design a bathroom / mudroom combo? Here are ideas ( https://www.houzz.com/photos/mudroom-bathroom-phbr0lbl-bl~l_64678 ) A basement bathroom doesn't appeal to me.
  • PRO
    Custom Home Planning Center
    hace 11 años
    A more cost effective solution would be to do a bath Mud room addition on the back which would come out to the rear of the structure. The roof could break up the mass of the rear wall as could a possible roof deck and hand rails. Plumbing will be easier in the extension outside the existing slab and the access could also be the basis for adding a nice wet bar exterior kitchen for entertainment.
  • lisajay
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    To: Custom Home Planning Center
    This is what I had been thinking of doing, particularly after getting estimates for breaking up the concrete on the lower level. Not sure how big this space would need to be to include the bath and mudroom. I was hoping the roofline could break up the rear wall. Thank you.
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.