Houzz Logo Print
alant1000

Shall I get rid of Artex?

alant1000
hace 9 años
Hi all
I've modernised my house in most ways now but the only remaining thing I'm not sure about are the ceilings, with ceiling rose and Artex. The rooms are already very small, and pendant lights sort of male them look even smaller.

I have already had the bathroom, hall and kitchens skimmed with down lights, so the remaining rooms which still have Artex and roses are:

Bedroom 1 - 3m x 2.8m
Bedroom 2 - 2.1m x 3.4m
Landing
Lounge - 3.2m x 2.6m

I've already had a quote of £1000 parts and labour for down lights to replace the pendants, and am awaiting quotes to skim the ceilings for a complete job.

Questions I have are:

1) does Artex ceilings really put people off, do you notice it?
2) supposing the full job is between 2-2.5k, would you bother if it was you?

I'm struggling to work out the benefits beyond asthetics, I am assuming that visually downlighting and smooth ceiling is going to make a big difference?

Thanks!
Alan

Comentarios (27)

• PRO
    ASVInteriors
    hace 9 años
    If you have already invested an amount of money in redoing your home, it seems a pity to leave it unfinished. I hate the price, but I do feel there is a benefit. Maybe you can shop around for less expensive quotes?
  • alant1000
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Yes thanks, I do need a hunt around. My next door neighbour is an electrician (a good one!) and he's had friends over today for the plaster quote. At this point I have no idea at all what price they will come back with - but they did say it would be quicker to plaster board, then skim the ceiling rather than just plaster over (which I had done in the bathroom, hall and kitchen. The quotes will also include the painting.

Hopefully they are not pulling the wool Ives my eyes with parts costs?
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    hace 9 años
    Let us know how it goes. I suppose it also depends whether you are based in a big city or elsewhere. Prices do vary.
  • Gerry Rust
    hace 9 años
    Personally I think Artex is the spawn of the devil and I would most definitely notice its presence! Having said that I wouldn't rule out buying a house because of it, particularly if the worst of it had already been eliminated. The quotes sound a bit steep but I'm no expert, hopefully you will find some cheaper ones. If not then I would make a decision based on how much they bother you versus the cost of removing them rather than worry about hypothetical buyers in the future :-)
  • alant1000
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    I've got the price to £1630 inc VAT for both electrical and plastering / painting for the 4 rooms, 6 downlights in the lounge, 4 in each bedroom and 3 in the landing - I'm pretty happy with this to be honest!

So I think I'll go ahead, I know I'll be pleased when it's done. :)
  • scottmcunningham
    hace 9 años
    A problem you will have with plaster boarding prior to skimming is the coving. A plasterer should be able to skim up to the coving without losing any detail. Whereas 9.5mm of plaster board first, you will loose the step in the cove.
  • alant1000
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Myers mahoot this out me off one of the people who quoted, just seemed like overkill, especially as I'd already had the bathroom and kitchen skimmed without the need for plaster boards. Just sounded like a bit of an over the top additional expense item to add to the bill.

When you have a flashy brand new white Merc on the drive (not even mine, company car) I think some tradesman try it on a bit.
  • alant1000
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Myers = yes. My spellcheck is getting worse by the day :(
  • PRO
    earth-design
    hace 9 años
    It has to go,Artex is horrible and will get in the way of any design
  • hortonhearsawho2013
    hace 9 años
    Price you've got of £1630 sounds pretty good to me! It will make a big difference, especially the downlights, definatley worth the money and I would go ahead if it was my house. We are looking at buying an older home that needs lots doing to it and one of the things that 'must' get done is the artex - it's on the 5 year plan though as there is plenty else to do before that!
  • User
    hace 9 años
    We had our thick ice cream style after on the ceiling was replaced as soon as we moved in as it's such a messy job it needs to be done before any other decorating (experience!) we made the mistake of going for the cheapest quote for the 1st 2 bedrooms, but he made such a shocking job we changed to a higher quote who gave a much better finish. You need to consider removing and then replacing any existing coving depending on the thickness or cover or even re boarding if exceptionally thick or ceilings particularly lumpy as smooth ceiling shows EVERY single blemish! Well worth the extra cost and effort tho, it opens the rooms up no end!!
  • PRO
    Stella Michael
    hace 9 años
    Beware, a house full of downlights can look a bit cold and commercial. Consider a very shallow pendant as well as various lamps and levels of light so you don't have to have it on all the time.
  • PRO
    LD ceilings
    hace 9 años
    In a lot of cases you can just skim over the artex. They just need to go round & scrape it all taking back all of the high points. If the artex is too thick (sounds like it isn't) it can be bonded & skimmed. Not only the problem of losing your coving detail with boarding it the final timber joist will be where the coving is. This will stop them getting a fixing at the end & is likely to result in the boarded curving over.
  • Victoria
    hace 9 años
    Do you know when the artex was done? Some from the early 70s can contain asbestos, it might be worth checking before work starts, although yours does look newer than that...
  • alant1000
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Thanks Victoria, it's a 1983 house so I'm not sure what the asbestos status is, I think it's ok!? (Fingers crossed).
  • sarah poole
    hace 9 años
    I think if u can get rid ov the artex im all for it personally, but i know it can b a pricey job but will b so worth it hun xx
  • Victoria
    hace 9 años
    Yes you should be fine (I think).
  • alant1000
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Thanks Sarah and Victoria,

All BOOKED for 12th Feb, plastering, downlights and paining. It will be messy in the house for a while, but I know I will be happy with the job. It's £1630 all in. I'll post up pics once complete.

Thanks for all your advice, you all told me what I needed (and wanted) to hear!
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    hace 9 años
    After photos please!
  • alant1000
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Will definitely post pics up :)

Just a detail question, what looks nicer, White downlight housing or chrome? The interior of the house is colourful contemporary with white walls.
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    hace 9 años
    My feeling is that white is better because there is such a mixed bag of chrome vs brass vs copper these days that you want to stay neutral to accommodate eventualities.
  • alant1000
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    That's a really good point ASV, many thanks!
  • Victoria
    hace 9 años
    Definitely white.
  • Matthew Decorator
    hace 9 años
    I would highly recommend plastering the ceilings. Nobody really uses artex anymore so it is pretty dated
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    hace 9 años

Well done - so much better and I am pleased you found a good price
    Congratulations!

• alant1000
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Thanks ASV.

On to my next project now - it's never ends :)
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.