Houzz Logo Print
christa_mckee

Suggestions for curb appeal!

Christa McKee
hace 9 años
Help!!! I am looking for ideas and advise to add curb appeal to my farmhouse. First I'm not sure if I want to restore to cedar or paint it, second I need advice for the exposed sections under the house. I've thought about added stone to each post but that still leaves everything exposed then I've thought about doing a stone wall like skirting around the entire porch. Please help with some advise! Thanks

Comentarios (22)

• Dar Eckert
    hace 9 años
    Really hard to see exterior of home. Are the posts and deck cedar or all of the siding?
  • Christa McKee
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    The post and the siding is cedar, the porch decking is just bare wood pine maybe.
  • PRO
    allan j grant and associates, architects
    hace 9 años
    It's not clear to me if this view is actually the front (curb side) of the residence. If it is, I think there needs to be some focus on where the entry is. If the entry is on one of the sides, it would still make sense, in my opinion, to have stairs up to the porch level from the lawn, creating a visual element along this elevation that will draw people to the house. II also think you are going in a good direction to add a stone "skirting" around the perimeter below the porch deck. This will give grounding to the residence and make it appear to be more substantial. Right now it appears to me to be quite aesthetically fragile on stilts. What I cannot see is if the stone skirting would be blocking light from entering a lower level. More information would be helpful to advise you further.
    Allan J Grant, AIA
    Chicago Architect
    www.AllanJGrantArchitects.com
  • Christa McKee
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Hi Allen, thanks for the response. These photos are actually the front of the house and you are correct there is no direct entry from the front to the porch...it is a wrap around porch with entry on both sides...I agree it would be nice to have stairs leading to the front porch entry.
  • Christa McKee
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Also to answer your question the house is built into the slope of a hill so the back deck is at ground level and the front as you can see is wide open. If stone walls were put in it would not block any lighting.
  • Christa McKee
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Oh wow great job!!! There is one other element that I wanted to add that's somewhat holding me back on the decision. From the ground to the bottom of the porch decking all varies in height from about 5 ft up to 8 ft on the opposite side, So do you think it would still look good to have that much stone wall at the highest point?
  • Christa McKee
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    This photo is one that I found and absolutely love! But I would have a lot more stone then that in front and one side of the house...and I'm battling the idea of painting the cedar siding! Lol
  • PRO
    Earth, Turf & Blooms
    hace 9 años
    How about cladding the post in cedar and staining them or painting them,maybe giving them a little more bulk and finish the rim joist in the same material
  • PRO
    Earth, Turf & Blooms
    hace 9 años
    A nicer railing might help the the areas together
  • PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    hace 9 años
    The area under the decking needs to be closed... whatever you do, Don't put lattice! Use some imagination.
  • Dar Eckert
    hace 9 años
    Start with a wide stair (double width) like the one in your dream home photo. This helps to make a connection between the deck and the site. Also install sidewalks or paths to the street, garden, garage or the place guests and you will use to access your home. Now you have smaller areas to deal with. Go to a landscaper to get a plan drawn up that will accent your home and meet your goals for hiding the area under the deck and unifying the lot with the home. Maybe this means a patio, benches and sunny garden on one side of the new steps and rocks, shrubbery etc. on the other. Are there any windows below the porch?
  • Christa McKee
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Good advise, thanks no there are no windows below the porch just dirt...lol
  • PRO
    hace 9 años
    I think it makes sense to have the new stairs located below the upper level dormer (rather than ignoring the dormer and centering the stairs in the overall elevation of the residence). Then there is a relationship between the unique singular dormer and the uniqueness of the stairs. Am I correct that the dormer is centered between two of the columns of the deck?
  • PRO
    hace 9 años
    Also, to answer your other concern about the stone wall height, I do not see this as a problem to have varying heights from one end of the house to the other. It becomes the connection between the level house deck and the variations in the grade.
  • decoenthusiaste
    hace 9 años
    Última modificación: hace 9 años
    Don't know your location so some of these may be too region specific, like the Bluff House. Definitely increase the railing as it is too gappy to be safe and looks a bit "snaggle-toothed." I'd be inclined to enclose some screened sections - at both ends perhaps as seen on Cotton Drifts. Also would find a way to create a balanced center entry on the wide side of the porch with impressive stairs and railings. Since you have dirt, you might simply consider under planting the porch with shade loving begonias or some appropriate herbs like you'll find at www.steppables.com.
    Alabaster Cotton Drifts · Más información
    Bluff House · Más información
  • decoenthusiaste
    hace 9 años
    Sorry, that Porch was not supposed to be loaded. Having trouble the past few days with the links at Houzz.
  • Christa McKee
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Allen, there's actually another dormer on the other side the tree limb is hiding it, sorry wasn't the best pic to use.
  • PRO
    hace 9 años
    OK in that case, center the stairs on the overall elevation for symmetry.
  • PRO
    Grown Solutions
    hace 9 años
    Hanging garden trellises could be hung to add privacy and block off exposed sections of your house.
  • aimee_rimbert
    hace 9 años
    I really like the idea for an all white exterior with contrasted railing to pop the architecture and brighten the shadows.
  • sheilaskb
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

With all the green in the yard, I would suggest a light cream exterior wall color, white trim and balusters, and a dark rail. For the roof, I would suggest a red metal roof and matching red shutters to contrast from all the green. Having the porch floor be the same color as the rail but maybe our shades lighter would help tie the color scheme together. If the porch ceiling has a border of trim around it, keep the trim white and paint the ceiling the same cream as the siding. Porch ceiling lights and sconces in a dark metal color that harmonizes with the rail color would be great.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.