Houzz Logo Print
hawasieleski

Need Help With Front Door Color

hawasieleski
hace 11 años
We moved into our home four years ago and are slowly updating things. The exterior of the home has Chicago brick, a light yellow/cream colored siding, and a double set of orange "storm doors" which cover the wood door. I am not fond of the brick or siding color but we are not going to change it. What I would like to do to help upadate the look of the house is to paint the orange doors a new color. I am looking for color suggestions to update and enhance the look of the house.
Thanks!

Comentarios (48)

• PRO
    Bronwyn Fargo Home Design and Consulting LLC
    hace 11 años
    or a dark brown to pick up some of the warmth in the brick tones....
  • PRO
    Mint Design
    hace 11 años
    I am attaching some photos of yellow doors. I suggest using a bit deeper hue than the siding to tie the house together. Perhaps some large faux lead planters on either side of the steps with
  • PRO
    Mint Design
    hace 11 años
    here are a couple of planters with topiaries
  • heyknitterlady
    hace 11 años
    I would think of adding tile to the steps and painting the trim of the arch the same color as the home. Go bold on your door color and add a plaque that is the same color with house numbers. I do like the idea above with the flower pots. Good Luck!
  • Sarah Burnett
    hace 11 años
    Dytecture............if you wouldn't mind taking a look at my post regarding my brick house and exterior landscaping.............thanks.
  • lefty47
    hace 11 años
    HI -- Love the frontage , it's great , a little overwhelming for the house. So with that I think you need some large torch style light fixture for each side of the entrance. Yes for the glossy black doors - very classy ! And I think some big stately modern planters is a good idea. Love the ones shown above. The landscaping needs added too. Plant daylillies or Japanese grass ( zone for your area?) at the base of each tree . Some boxwood hedges at the foundation and assorted flowering perrenials along the walkway. I see there is a small tree infront of the brick on the left side but I think some thin white bark trees on each side in front of the brick would look nice. Have some ornamental grasses for color and textures. The walkway could have a brick or stone edging. The other part of the house needs a stronger color to tye in with the brick front - Benjamin Moore " Ranchwood CC-500 " and the roof edge in a black and add some black shutters to the windows.
  • Debra Hughes
    hace 11 años
    I vote for black! Love the doors -
  • Karey Chester
    hace 11 años
    I would go with the black definitely! Plant some low growing plants along the walkway - wax begonias in white would pop and put in some boxwood in the two cutouts at the end of the walkway. Other suggestions for the foundation plantings, especially the raised planters, would be great along with the address plaque suggested.
  • PRO
    Charmean Neithart Interiors
    hace 11 años
    My first thought when I saw your picture was black, which Dytecture already suggested. I would however paint all the trim black, as well as the storm doors. Hey David if you're still around..could you do your magic photoshop trick to show black on the doors and trim around and above the doors? Great suggestion on the potted plants. Hope that helps. Charmean Neithart
  • PRO
    Susan Johns
    hace 11 años
    I would go for a white paint. It can make the front look more brighter.

http://mydecoreview.blogspot.co.uk
  • PRO
    garden design online
    hace 11 años
    Just the door isn't enough,the front yard curb appeal need improve.
  • catdaley
    hace 11 años
    I actually think a dark charcoal gray would be a little softer but still have impact. I think you should take it all the way up to include the window and trim. Perhaps a contemporary trellis would add some architectural interest to the brick. A 10 inch grid that fills the two cheeks on either side of your door painted the same charcoal gray....with some kind of climbing plant to soften and add drama. Leave an 18 inch boarder of brick showing around the perimiter of the trelis. Then add interest to your wald way with asymetrical plantings.
  • feeny
    hace 11 años
    Última modificación: hace 11 años
    I agree with charcoal gray. It will have a similar effect as black, but just a little more subtle, and I think it will pick up on the darkest shade in your brick.
  • PRO
    Sterling Property Services
    hace 11 años
    I just wrote about this on my blog: Choosing A Front Door Color - A Baker's Dozen Mistakes to Avoid.
    http://sandyatsps.blogspot.com/2012/06/choosing-front-door-color-bakers-dozen.html
  • feeny
    hace 11 años
    Great article, Sandy. Really helpful and thorough!
  • PRO
    Sterling Property Services
    hace 11 años
    The color issues in this house go beyond the front door. I would suggest first painting the stucco and the door surround in a mid range neutral pulled from the colors in the brick, then choosing a the front door color. It could be a neutralized red also pulled from the brick, or black, or dark brown, but I would let the brick and your desired impression guide the choice. Because the windows in the stucco area are small and not well placed, the casings should be low contrast with the wall color, and not white! Paint all utilitarian items like the vents in the wall color.
  • PRO
    Kitchen Choreography
    hace 11 años
    I like the charcoal gray suggestion. The black looks a little harsh to me. I think the gray would give the same contemporary/updated effect, but not be such a contrast to the brick. Love the idea of the planters and you could also tie the gray in with the pot color.
  • Dar Eckert
    hace 11 años
    Good morning! The charcoal color would be a good choice. However you need to somehow tie this color to the yellow part, maybe by painting the window trim charcoal too or paint the trim on the door yellow.

The tall planters would be a good idea too but don't make them symmetrical on both sides of the door. Maybe one side of the door would have tall planters or planter boxes and the other side a large trellis. Because of the large expanse of brick, make the planters and trellis large and tall to balance the brick. You could also use landscaping instead of planter boxes but select plants that are tall and impressive. Start with low plants on the left and increase in height toward the door to lead your eye to the door. Maybe a large trellis on the right but make it large.. at least as large as your door. Then add a large bench in front of the trellis.

Lastly, don't forget to add a hanging light over the door.
  • PRO
    Mint Design
    hace 11 años
    Everything in design is subjective. When I look at this house with a dark door, I see a chapel or a commercial building and I see no relation whatsoever to the left side of it with the yellow siding. Since you are not changing the siding and you only want to change the door, and it is a residence, it is my professional opinion that the only way to tie the two together and give a finished look is a yellow door. It can match the siding but generally doors look better when they are deeper.....that is look at a color fan, find the shade of your siding and go to a more intense color on the same card. If in doubt, narrow your choices to 2 or 3 whatever they be, get sample pots of each, paint a sizable board of each....lean them against the door and look at them in morning light, midday, evening, and at night under artificial light. Choose the one that speaks to you. It is only paint and you do not have a solid door. You can always repaint if you change your mind later. Have fun with it! :)
  • sharleeg
    hace 11 años
    there seems to be such a disconnect between the two areas of the elevation. The brick is so heavy and the door with its bold color completely dominate. Somehow i feel you need to tie the siding area in , If you are not going to paint it ( i think it should be deeper in color to help balance the brick, is it possible to add shutters, trim color, something to tie with the brick side? Or could you add some beefier trim around windows and paint in a color that ties in with door color perhaps..Some taller shrubs in that area would help tremendously i think.. especially under the small window on left. Best of luck!
  • catdaley
    hace 11 años
    How about some slick yellow planters on either side of the dark door? That could tie it together. Then paint the window trim on the yellow part of the house a lighter version of the door color.
  • Christine W
    hace 11 años
    Take the storm doors off. They sell hide-away screens that you can mount for when you need them. If the doors are inefficient then you need to adress that by maybe replacing the doors altogether. If the door is solid and you can weatherize it to replace the loss of having a storm door then you can consider doing that. I like the idea of black doors (super high gloss) against the white framing that goes all the way up to the roof line. In addition I would prune those 2 lovely trees so that you can see more of what you do and maybe tile the front steps with something (a grey slate or a stone that has some moderate movement and then add a few planters. Also, I think I see a light fixture. You need something more bodacious there. You can add additional color by putting bright foliage along the front of the house. Get rid of those 2 shrubs at the top of the walkway near the grassline (maybe planters could go there with trailing vines like red and white petunia's
  • PRO
    Pat Manning-Hanson, ASID
    hace 11 años
    I had to go back and look at the picture again to see that the cream colored structure referred to in the comments and the description is part of the house, it looks like another building because there is no continuity.. I think just changing the door color won't do anything to unify the colors with the brick and the light grey roof. In addition to painting the doors a dark grey green like Benjamin Moore HC109, I would integrate the color of the brick by repainting the siding and the window and door trim all the same warm grey-green tone like Benjamin Moore HC 105 Rockport Grey. Then i would add a pair of tall columnar evergreens or junipers,on each side of the staircase to add emphasis to the entrance and break up the expanse of brick, as shown in the photo from dytecture.
  • TM N55
    hace 11 años
    I can comment on the trim and doors. I'm not so good with landscape. Think about the door and the trim on all windows being an aubergine (deep eggplant). It's not black and I bet it would look great with that darker brick color. The other part of the house could be painted a light gray. Take out the two bushes in front of the entrance and place oval or round large urns (a burnt orange or mustard yellow) with green plants. Maybe even rosemary or mint for a nice fragrance as you come up the walkway. Not sure about gardenia in that area, but maybe that would work. And in the one corner where the two parts join, place something that just about comes up to the window such as a taller plant or a square urn fountain or something that's somewhat shaped like the front door to tie in the two sections. Also, maybe place the hummingbird feeder on the left of the smaller window and add a taller evergreen there to fill in that wall space. And a matching one on the far right corner of the brick part of the house.
  • Debra Hughes
    hace 11 años
    That's a good idea - In Feng Shui I think it depends on which direction the front door faces as to what is the best color. I was thinking black, but you could do a dark eggplant and have it express as black. Any color for that matter - any Feng Shui experts out there who can comment on this...?
  • hawasieleski
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    The siding is actually vinyl siding (vertically hung)- do you suggest painting that? I also need to post a better picture tomorrow. Where the two trees are there are actually a path/row of 6 trees (three on either side) of large crabapple trees. So, this would affect the landscaping ideas. Will be interested to see ideas once I post a picture from further out. Thanks for all the feedback so far!
  • hawasieleski
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Here is another picture of the front of the house. It is a very long house, so, hard to get a picture of everything.
  • sharleeg
    hace 11 años
    hawasleleski, it is hard to tell because of the sun on the photo, what color is the roof.? it may have already been mentioned. If so, I apologize. It is a long thread and it has been a few days.Is it gray? I never saw until now the yellow area on right side of the brick front. It is long! I just continue think it ( the pale yellow areas of house) would look far more anchored in a deeper color, if you are considering that now. A soft gray that is is in the brick. I don't know the specific products for painting vinyl, but you can do anything these days, so i feel certain there is a product out there. Someone with more knowledge on that can answer that one.Paint and some well placed landscaping would transform the house immensely. Best of luck!
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    hace 11 años
    Going with Charmean's suggestion, I like the having black trims for the brick portion of the house as well.
  • Dar Eckert
    hace 11 años
    This looks so church-like and the tall linear planters kind of reinforce that look. Long low flower boxes that are as tall as the steps and run the full length of the brick would make the brick less imposing. The planters could bring in the yellow and charcoal colors to unify the building.

Entry Courtyard · Más información

This might be another alternative, a row of arborvitae on both sides of the door.
  • hawasieleski
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Thanks again for the comments. A couple things for me to add - the roof is a light grey. At this time, the only thing we want to change is the door and possibly trim color, maybe new light fixture, and some plants. Our lot is very shaded, so we are limited to what we can plant. After looking at the siding color and comparing it to yellow samples, I would have to say the siding is more of a tan hue than yellow. Finally, when driving around it seems most people have the same color window trim and door trim/storm door color - is this the best look? Is it enough to just paint the door or do we need to encorporate that color into the window trim and door trim? What about a white door?
  • PRO
    Mint Design
    hace 11 años
    I think you are better off matching the siding and no, you do not need to match the trim. Please post your after shots! :)
  • fnstf
    hace 11 años
    Pat Manning-housing sees what I see. The two parts of the house are discordant..If the stucco part of the house is not painted, I don't see a door color giving you the update or the change that you want. Many good suggestions have been listed. I , personally, like the gray for the stucco and the window trim the same so they recede. You want the emphasis on the entry. Once you paint the stucco, So amny door colors will add the pop you're looking for and it'll be much easier to decide, imo. Good luck. Great potential !
  • hawasieleski
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    What part are you referring to as stucco - there is no stucco on the house. If it is the siding, it is a vinyl siding which we really don't want to paint.
  • hawasieleski
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Ok - what about painting the brick? If so, what color?
  • Karin Boris
    hace 11 años
    I think a raised bed of some sort...with asymmetrical plantings.
  • catdaley
    hace 11 años
    I am all for painting the brick.....it may be the most cost efficient way to merge the two sides of your home. And i agree that looser more asymmetical plantings would look best...softening that strong face and creating irregularity. I still stand behind the trellis idea, it would be really beautiful with evergreen vines growing on it and would modernize the front. I would match the yellow to unify it or paint it white to have the entry stand out more.
  • Karin Boris
    hace 11 años
    Hadn't read the earlier post about a trellis...LOVE that idea.
  • Karin Boris
    hace 11 años
    Am also wondering if the front would look better without the trees...
  • Dar Eckert
    hace 11 años
    No don't paint that lovely brick. Perhaps you could extend the brick onto the yellow part of the house maybe by a raised brick garden. Put the garden from the right corner of the brick part and extend it 10 to 12 feet long in front of the yellow part. (It doesn't need to extend the entire length of the yellow part) Make the raised bed 2 1/2 to three feet tall. It would tie the two sides of the house together and add a horizontal element to the brick.
  • PRO
    Mint Design
    hace 11 años
    Since your roof is grey, paint the trim around the windows and doors a light grey. Paint the door a slightly deeper yellow/cream than the siding so they relate. As for the brick, plant an evergrren climbing vine with or without a trellis....I like creeping fig but that may or may not grow in your zone....or espalier trees against the brick. Trees can be purchased that have already been espaliered and your local garden center can help you understand what they need to continue to grow in that pattern. I will attach some photos to give you an idea. I am showing espaliered juniper and recommend one with greyish tones to compliment the grey and yellow, espaliered magnolia which also compliments grey and yellow, espaliered pear also complimentary, and creeping fig again complimentary. While I think painted brick is lovely I know you are not planning to paint anything but the door and the trim. These plantings should be a reasonably priced option to reduce the heavy impact of the brick. Please note that the pear is not evergreen however the beautiful winter branches, spring blossoms, summer fruit, and autumn color more than make up for that. Have fun and please post photos of your progress! :)
  • hawasieleski
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    would you put the evergreen climbing vines on both sides or just the right side?
  • Kim
    hace 11 años
    I saw the photo and read the post and my first thought was black too. Add some dark slate to the porch and step...or not but the black doors would look good.
  • PRO
    Mint Design
    hace 11 años
    I would put the vines on both sides and I would also landscape with foundations shrubbery along the siding to pull it into the picture. This, along with the yellow doors and grey trim on both the brick and the siding will unite both elements, boost the curb appeal, and not break the bank. Please post photos as you progress. We wnat to see the metamorphasis!
  • hawasieleski
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Mint Design - what do you mean by foundations shrubbery?
  • Diann
    hace 11 años
    Karen, loved your suggestion of the raised beds with the retaining walls would really add to this house. So much more interest would be added if budget allows it. love the idea of the creeping vines as well . Would make this house much more appealing and less commercial looking
  • PRO
    Mint Design
    hace 11 años
    Foundation shrubbery is planted along the house to hide the foundation....where the house meets the earth. It softens the lines, absorbs excess water which could seep into your foundation and adds color and interest to your home. I think you will be very happy with the appearance of your home once you paint all the trim a pale grey, the door a slightly darker shade of the siding and make the vine or espalier plantings on the brick and the foundation shrubbery. Everything will unite you will be amazed it is the same house. Your location will determine which plants wil work best for you. Once the foundation and vines or espalier are in , you can begin to layer ...I like 3 layers, the back being the tallest. I am attaching 4 examples of foundation plantings You can go formal or informal depending on your taste. If you use flowering plants I recommend those with colors that complement the creamy yellow siding. Yellow green leaves, grey green fir for evergreen color in winter, blue or purple hydrangeas for summer, jonquils and purple tulips for spring, blue and purple asters and chrysanthemums for autumn. Your local garden center should have everything you need and the internet can supply you with the best varieties for your area as well as telling you how much sun each requires. Start with the paint, then the back plantings, take your time and have fun with it! I hope this helps! :)
Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.