Houzz Logo Print
loveglobe

Help! How to make bookcases sit evenly on tile floor?

loveglobe
hace 9 años
I bought 4 new bookcases and after delivery we realized they don't sit flush because our tile floor is uneven (the tiles are slightly curved like a loaf of bread baked in the oven). It's not tragic but just enough to make my OCD eye cringe. Any ideas for how to fix this without having to redo our floor?

Comentarios (9)

• PRO
    Choice Cabinet KC
    hace 9 años
    From eHow "Shims are thin pieces of wood used to level cabinets, doors and other construction items that might otherwise vary due to elevation changes in the subfloor. . By placing shims below the lower-sitting cabinets, you can achieve a level height for all cabinets regardless of variations in the subfloor" Start at the low point and build up with shims to make level. The gap created at the bottom between the cabinet and the floor can be covered with either base shoe or scribe molding both of which can be found at your local home center or possibly supplied by your cabinet maker.

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/how_6595521_shim-kitchen-cabinets.html
  • hayleydaniels
    hace 9 años
    Look on the bottom of your bookcase to see if they have screw-on 'feet' that can be adjusted so they sit level. I have a tile floor that isn't perfectly even too, and my husband had to adjust one the feet of the bookcases as it wasn't quite straight just the other day.
  • PRO
    PPF.
    hace 9 años
    I'd start by fastening them all together. Depending on how much shimming they need, you could scribe the base of the cases so they match the floor.
  • loveglobe
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Thank you both for your quick responses! The problem with shims is that I think they'd be visible especially since its white wood on light tile. These bookcases as you can see already come with a built in base molding so I think adding a second one to cover the shins would be a bit strange. Maybe the felt will work though if I only put them where there's a gap to the floor. Hopefully felt is subtle enough to not be super noticeable. They will be filled mostly with books and some board games/puzzles....
  • PRO
    Cal-Spec Inc.
    hace 9 años
    try mounting a cleat to the cabinet and then to the wall. After that screw the cabinets together and wa la your even!
  • acm
    hace 9 años
    Well, you would want to shim from the side -- e.g., on the right side of the right cabinet, to press it flush against the left -- so it wouldn't need to show. Alternatively, fill 'em up -- sometimes the weight alone will make everything settle a bit.
    loveglobe agradeció a acm
  • loveglobe
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    No feet just the wood base.

Fastening is a good idea. That'd make it very obvious when the unevenness is though they'd be a bit more difficult to maneuver as one long heavy piece versus four smaller lighter bookcases. I read up on scribing and see how it would work for wall shelves or the back of the bookcase but it seems like it'd be very difficult to scribe the base to the floor since its not just like a sloping wall but very subtle convex bulges across a dozen tile segments. Also I don't have the right tool or expertise to scribe them!
  • loveglobe
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Acm that's a good point!
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.