Houzz Logo Print
katielanem

Front of house help needed

katielanem
hace 9 años
Recently moved into a house that was built in the 1920s. The inside of the house is charming, but the front looks pretty run-down and bland. The neighborhood is gentrifying, with the houses on one side of us looking much more put together. I'd like to move the demarcation line one more house over. Short of tearing out the concrete/refacing, anything I can do the jazz the face up?

Comentarios (40)

• PRO
    Kelli Kaufer Designs
    hace 9 años
    I agree with the comment above, you just need more dimension. Color to the trim and iron gate ad climbing vines as well as a eave over the garage. A light added to the right of the garage.
    Very Cool place!
  • Conversaciones relacionadas

Armario / vestidor dormitorio casa 1850

Q

(13) comentarios
    Buenas noches gestión estética! Muchas gracias por tus comentarios e ideas aportadas, la verdad es que estamos muy ilusionados con el proyecto pero también es cierto que es una reforma de cierta envergadura por nuestra intención de actualizar y hacer más cómoda la vivienda (en la actualidad no cuenta ni con ducha!) pero a la vez intentar mantener los elementos estéticos de la época que le confieren el encanto que tiene al piso. Agradecemos cualquier asesoramiento ya que las reformas las emprenderemos nosotros mismos, sin ningún arquitecto o interiorista que lidere el proyecto, contrataremos directamente a los profesionales que han de ejecutar la obra, por lo que nos surgen muchas dudas de la mejor opción estética / económica / práctica en diversos elementos. Adjunto otro elemento en el que no llegamos encontrar la opción ideal, hay 2 salas que están separadas también por la misma marquetería que en el dormitorio y unos armarios a ambos lados. Nos gustan estéticamente (no en ese color quizás) pero seria más practico que las 2 salas no estuvieran separadas (una estaría destinada a comedor y la otra a sala de estar), por los que nos planteamos o eliminarlo todo (con dolor en el corazón) o una opción intermedia como vaciar solo la parte central, o la parte central y uno de los laterales. ¿Consejo? Por privado (si se puede hacer esto aquí) podría enviar plano completo del piso y más dudas que tenemos! Gracias!
    ...Ver más

roof top ideas

Q

(1) comentarios
    Hi Marina ! I think you have a place that offers a lot of design opportunities. First of all, you would have to see the direction of the sun to locate the places of stay and plan the vegetation. The best thing is that you use vegetation that absorbs the rain and does not need great maintenance and irrigation to minimize the work due to the access it presents. I could help you make a 3d design if you wanted to visualize ideas for your terrace, I would be happy to assist you! Greetings and good day!
    ...Ver más

The integration of elements complement each other

Q

(1) comentarios
    In this dissertation, we are warned that to renovate a house, so that everyone sarisfecho sits down, it is enough to make some partial feforms and maintain everything that contributes to the personality of the home. If we make such a total change, affecting everything previously existing, it is clear that our home, we cannot feel it easily like ours.
    ...Ver más

Colourbond Southerly and Ironstone

Q

(9) comentarios
    Do you have a pic of the facade? The gutters should match the gutter, no need for another colour. You will get some blue from the Bluestone but given the proportions I wouldn’t expect much but will depend on the orientation and elevation. Southerly is still relatively new - can’t wait to see it in place. What are the windows?
    ...Ver más
  • PRO
    Shakuff
    hace 9 años
    I love your place! I'm guessing this is in CA. If not, it reminds me of a lot of homes in LA with spanish architecture and fab curb appeal..maybe try to throw in some terra cotta tiles on the steps and colorful tiles on the risers. Add in some larger, more substantial planters grouped nicely instead of spread out. Change the metal gate to beautiful wooden door...

I agree with above...here is some inspiration...

Greek House · Más información

Patio, Summer House, Island of Kythira, Greece · Más información

Spanish Bungalow · Más información

Spanish Oaks Entry · Más información

Spanish Revival · Más información

Spanish Colonial Revival · Más información

Spanish Mediterranean Mix · Más información
    katielanem agradeció a Shakuff
  • PRO
    Tamley Architectural Design
    hace 9 años
    A color change will really help. Use the clay tile as a starting point. Pervious posters have given you a lot of good photos. Softer white, bronze color accents for window frames etc. definitely either take out the concrete and get the planter back in front. It will definitely help to soften the curb appeal. Light fixture style is important. A dark garage door color too.
  • PRO
    BILL BRIGHT LIGHTING DESIGN
    hace 9 años
    Marina district SF There are so many over the top houses the (I spent 15 years there) here are your eye sores. The planters need to be three bushes. The triplets should be identical. place a fourth near stairs. Then have that gate removed (they're ugly and dont slow down burglars) Then place a fifth bush at the top of the stars/ and install alarm system (don't use ADT). Since you paid huge money, you want elegance and privacy, not a trip to the circus.
  • PRO
    hace 9 años
    If this house is out in the Sunset, Bernal Heights or Pacific Heights, I would follow the same path.
  • katielanem
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Última modificación: hace 9 años
    Thank you all so much! Next time we paint the house, I'm thinking a light-medium cool gray with white and black trim. I also want to do a planter where the potted plants are, and either put bushes or some sort of vine. And we desperately need a light out there, so that's definitely on the list.
  • PRO
    hace 9 años
    Oh, so you paid under a million. If you want a little night drama, visit WAC.com and search step lighting. LED, fits into, about or near stairs and works on a dimmer. Your husband will love you more (men love LED) and lost keys in your purse? Never again.
  • Craig CraigMDesigns
    hace 9 años
    I would break up the facade with a darker color for the garage and railing then a lighter color for the rest behind and above. I see anything from taupes, tans, to grays. Rows of terra cotta flower pots on the stairs step railing. Loving the terra cotta with the gray I'd do the garage door and window trim in the classic clay color and perhaps a marigold front door. Have fun!
  • Jill Zimmerman
    hace 9 años
    I agree with Bill Bright. Take the gate out, put lights by garage in oil rubbed bronze, change the green trim to SW basket beige, or a similar color, 3 bushes in front. If you do not want the expense of digging up the concrete, place the bushes in terra cotta planters. What are the planters on exactly? Same paint color as house? Maybe paint that the new trim color as well? The color of the house is fine, if it needs it, put a fresh coat on in same color if you know what it is. Slap a neutral paint color on your neighbors steps as well! :)
  • PRO
    hace 9 años
    Remember, if you sign up on BillBrightLightingDesign.com you can pretty much get my 24/7 365. My comments come from my heart.
  • libradesigneye
    hace 9 años
    Hi there - I'm San Diego but adore San Francisco - Congratulations on your lovely new home. I work with tile roofs a lot.

With the dark flash terracotta tile, a paint job (even if just on the acid green trim) would do a lot for you right away. The grays can be tricky with tile .. . you want a warm mid tone - so the house is lighter than the roof - your neighbor has the right idea, with lighter trim, but you don't want to be a clone . .

For fast results, if you were just to replace the acid green with a muted blue-green gray (classic santa barbara sort of tone) - test ben moore aegean teal http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/aegeanteal
    you would get an instant "classic" feel . . don't paint any contrasting trim on the garage, just paint it out to match the white of the house for now . . .

When you are ready to tackle the entire house, a tonal white like bm winterwood (nicely pairs with the aegean teal) could work
    though this would be a mid tone inside, on an exterior it will read as a dark, tonal off-white
    If it were my house, I'd add more warm on the main body - something classic like ben moore manchester tan will read as a warm spanish white . . great with the teal and terracotta - still unique, but not acid green funky.

The other change that could happen quickly is to "occupy" the parking / pavement spot now occupying your front "lawn" with some large potted tree form flowering shrubs or citrus, maybe a trough fountain where the "plant line up" was in the before . . . .or a trough planter there with an espaliered shrub or vine . . .

Congratulations again on your new home! Thanks for inviting us over -
  • tsudhonimh
    hace 9 años
    Those houses look good with moderate use of color on trim and doors. I saw a stunning one that matched the flowers of its vines with the window trim and front door. It was a blue flower I couldn't ID.

Consider tiling or painting that niche where the potted plants are, and matching the tile on the step risers. Or do the balcony area with a color you like. Go bright or clear colors, not muddy or greyed.

Do NOT plant any vines that cling to the stucco - use a trellis and a twining species.
  • madpaddler
    hace 9 años
    Add a trellis over the garage and planters on either side for bougainvillaeas to add color
  • Irene Morresey
    hace 9 años
    Just need some big pots with greenery in that bottom area and on the balcony, topiary or bamboo
  • er612
    hace 9 años
    I would change the overall color to ivory or off white and change the existing green accent color to black. If the current garage door suits you, just paint it solid black. If you need a new one, I'd replace it with a wood door. I'd also change the front gate to iron or just paint it black. If you replace your garage door with a wooden one, a wooden bench mounted to the wall right of the garage with black brackets would look great.
  • PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    hace 9 años
    Paint the trim and garage doors a richer color... Add larger lights... Plantings.
  • PRO
    Balber Architecture, Inc.
    hace 9 años
    You’re right there my friend…very close to looking as good if not better than your neighbor. You already have the three pots…just find three matching palm-type plants as I show in my rendering. Then, assuming that over the garage is some sort of balcony (or if not hopefully you can gain access to it…looks like you can), I would but about 6 pots and buy some climbing vine-type plant as I show in the rendering. Your building is a beautiful white canvas that just needs some foliage to make it “pop”. I wouldn’t even change the green trim. I think it will accentuate the green from the plants. Good luck! :)
  • kusurfer
    hace 9 años
    I agree with Balber. It is a beauty the way it is. Just needs a little pop!
  • kusurfer
    hace 9 años
    Oops! Needs some bright reds or pink flowers too.
  • PRO
    Gray & Walter, Ltd.
    hace 9 años
    Cute house! What is your budget? If you want to change the color go with a pale conch shell pink with celadon or terra cotta trim. If you like the house's coloration add vines and flowering plants. The house is really cute.
  • lessismoore
    hace 9 años
    Looks like the old neighborhood. I like this color scheme: a muddy taupe for the stucco, black and white trim, enclose that area in front with a stucco planter box and plant a beautiful Japanese red maple. Tile your steps and landing to match the roof tiles, remove the security gate or if you must, get black iron replacement. A solid wood garage door with iron trim would look nice too.
    Here are the "elements" together:
  • carolinabaille
    hace 9 años
    All of the comments and photos are wonderful. Depending on your taste in personalizing the only thing I'd add is you are probably bothered by the "white cliffs of Dover" now. Consider a small overhang over the garage with classic Monterrey terra cotta tiles. Add interest to the existing windows with shutters (mentioned) or tile surrounds or wooden lintels. The planter area with be outstanding with a tile background with perhaps a curved arc design. Talavera tiles or muted depending on how colorful you want to go. New paint choices would really go a long way right now, if only the trim color and garage door. Inserting some 3-D effects would break it up nicely. There is a molded cement trim you can DIY yourself and cut and shape.
  • lwidmer
    hace 9 años
    I like the green. assuming you're on a budget and don't have the funds for an entire new paint job, I'd paint the garage door a solid color to provide a real accent. If you like the green, stay with that but then you need to provide some contrast with reds or oranges. Or if you are going add a lot of plants as others have suggested, you might change the trim color and paint the garage solid with a color that will contrast nicely with all the green plants. I would get rid of the pots and install a planter but then you just need to be careful of moisture issues agaist the house so maybe pots are better so long as theft is not a problem in your neighborhood. . I like the idea others had about adding tile. Also some curves would really be a nice touch. Bouganvillia over the garage would be nice. Why can't you hire someone to jackhammer that "yard"? Adding landscaping there with varied color, organic shapes and curves with stepping stones will go a long way! It's a great place!!
  • diyer59
    hace 9 años
    I wouldn't start jackhammering up concrete. But, you've got a beautiful Spanish style look with the roof tiles, go with that. I'd put that beautiful warm terracotta color around windows, garage, incorporate into door color (or pop it with a cobalt blue door!) and bring some terracotta pots with lush green leafy plants and deep blue flowers out in front.
  • flopsycat1
    hace 9 años
    Great house! If you're not crazy about the green trim, consider blue which looks great with classic Mediterranean white stucco and tile roof.
  • Mary Dillon
    hace 9 años
    If not a tile roof over the garage, how about just a pergola-type roof over the garage door, with or without climbing vine? Then nice light fixture to right of garage door and maybe also on the steps, either under the main bay window or below the three-pane window. Also voting to make the garage door solid color. I'd consider a contrasting color for that "alcove" or whatever you call it at the garage entry and also for the stair surround and the inside of the porch, to give more dimension. Some combination of larger pots and bench where your current pots are will liven it up a lot -- bench cd be useful when unloading car, can't tell if garage has interior entry, but you can get planter/bench combinations ready made. And maybe a short section of fencing against the neighbor's steps -- lattice?.

About paint colors, the only built-in color you have is the terra cotta from the roof, so I'd try to work with that, which would mean using warm colors, so I agree with Gray and Walter about using a paler terra-cotta color for contrast, and with bluenan et al that a softer white for the front wd be nice in the long run. I like the idea of the green accents, but I'd seriously consider replacing them with a color to match the roof, and using that same color on the stair treads and risers, on the garage door, and maybe also on the horizontal surfaces surrounding the stairs and porch. You then have 3 colors: the roof color with its matching accents, the paler terra-cotta from the same family in the recessed areas, and the white front. For some real fun, you cd paint the metal gate celadon or blue or whatever whimsical color takes your fancy. A couple of extra pots or finial-type decorations on the 2 front corners of the porch might also add interest.

You could look at staining the concrete driveway.

This is a really cute house -- hope you'll have fun with it!
  • Rusty Empire
    hace 9 años
    I am right on board with fully embracing classic Spanish/Mediterranean landscaping. I've seen a lot of very upscale homes that absolutely fall flat because no one thought of landscaping and lighting! And has anyone insisted that the garage doors gotta go?! By installing a heavy, raised panel wooden door, along with wrought iron hardware and nail head trim, you would really elevate the facade. Stain it to match the window trims. Oh, and definitely add a large scale wall sconce on the front somewhere. Even a single one over the garage door, as long as its wrought iron and fabulous.
  • Rusty Empire
    hace 9 años
    Hey Bungalowmo! Have you weighed in yet? You always have good suggestions
  • Cordy Brown
    hace 9 años
    I like libradesign and babers ideas. I wouldn't accent the garage door with color. Pull attention to the front door and soon to be trees and plants instead. who wants to draw attention to the garage door when the rest of the house is so fabulous.?
  • Rusty Empire
    hace 9 años
    When the garage door commands so much visual real estate to neglect it would be dropping the ball. Have you looked at the one that's there now? So I guess you'd plunk some white monolith there instead? Back your idea up with something that looks good and I'll agree with you, but until then my suggestion works.
  • Mary Dillon
    hace 9 años
    I'm thinking the garage door treatment depends upon the budget, of which we have as yet no idea. Katie, it wd help everyone a lot to know what trouble and expense you have in mind for this project! Paint and plants, of course, are lower-cost solutions...
  • kjc105
    hace 9 años
    There's a house here in town with a similar (ranch) style. When the new owners bought it, they changed the paint color to olive green and painted the trim black and cream. It's an unusual color combination but it looks fantastic. Now the house stands out in a good way.
  • elbeee
    hace 9 años
    Your house is stunning!. The green on the facings looks like a nice compliment to the other soft colours in the neighbourhood. I'd go with that, over the whole house, including facings. The detail is provided by the depth around windows and doors. Something contrasting on the front door, and watch window treatments on the inside - they can make or break a facade. As always, greenery. Perhaps a large tree for cohesion with the neighbours.
    Please, whatever you do, avoid the "modern" dead-looking grey-beige neutral. How to kill any house appeal in a single step, and date your paint job to 2005.
  • designgirl178
    hace 9 años
    window boxes along the balcony and a colorful trellis plant beside the garage would add some color. also if you are ambitious, putting spanish tile on the risers would add color and design to the steps. good luck ;-)
  • nicolediane
    hace 9 años
    The problem is that all the other houses before yours have a lawn with landscaping. Potted plants are just not going to do it, you need to rip out the concrete.
  • everdebz
    hace 9 años
    Just don't know if this is exterior tile, but I wonder about adding to risers, and also a strip in blank area over the garage... so you'd see terra cotta at roofline, there and there - 3 spots...
    Figuras 6" x 6" Orange 6" x 6" Deco Tiles Glossy Ceramic · Más información
  • Irene Morresey
    hace 9 años
    You could just get rid of the big square bits of concrete and put grass in there, something like pic, really effective, better than all lawn, you could still drive over it, or leave that part concrete, the neighbors will be jealous lol
  • springcath
    hace 9 años
    I'm interested to know what you ended up doing to the exterior of your awesome home. Please share.
  • sue_vasco
    hace 8 años
    I was born & raised in San Francisco & am very familiar with the Marina district. Lived in the Balboa Park area. If it were mine, I'd paint the house a medium gray & the trim purple, yes, purple (medium to dark). A trellis over the garage sounds good. Planting it with a bougy on each side that has a magenta or similar colors. The terra cotta pots planted with say a rose in the center & an ivy type to drape over the sides, with pansies, marigolds, etc to fill in. I would like to see, perhaps, a tile type roof over the living room windows similar to what the neighbor on the right has. Not sure if that would work, just something to think about. I would get rid of the gate by the front door. If you can photoshop it, you can try all different color combinations. It's your house, have fun with it.
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.