Houzz Logo Print
lhofmeister

Need help with a front entry makeover

hace 12 años
This front door has got to go, but I am paralyzed with indecision. We have decided on full-glass side panels because it is a very dark entryway, and probably glass on the top 1/3 of the door, maybe 3 vertical panels. Probably painted vs. stained. But, what color(s)? Right now the house is pretend-tudor with white stucco and dark grey "stripes", and will probably be that way for at least another year or two, but eventually we will be sided -- perhaps green, grey, or blue. So I need to pick an easily-adaptible color in hopes of not repainting it eventually. BTW we are in Madison, WI.

Comentarios (4)

• PRO
    hace 12 años
    Sidelights can be attractive but they will not allow very much light in since your door is recessed. There are several options to provide more light in your entry. One is to move the door forward. Another is to add mirrors on the exterior of each side of you porch to reflect light...these can me found with panes and in arched or rectangular door or window shapes so as to mimic a door or window. Another solution is to add a skylight to the roof ouf the porch. The best way to light your entry is by using a tubular daylight device. I am attaching photos of the TDDs. BTW I would replace the outdoor sconces with something smaller and less obtrusive.
  • hace 12 años
    Última modificación: hace 12 años
    Check out the Jeld Wen web. They have a Fiberglass Glass Panel Exterior Door that comes in a full glass panel with textured glass or decorative glass. That would really give you the most light and privacy. This door can be ready to paint or stain and also has woodgrain options of mahogany or oak. "Fiberglass features both the feel and look of genuine wood with less upkeep.." I think that either woodgrain would work with most paint choices.

But I have to say, if you think that you are going to redo the siding in a year or two, why not deciede now what you are going to do with siding? Or wait until you are ready to do the outside and do the door at the same time.
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    Hey, I am in Madison, WI too, and I am the leader in the TDD industry (Brighter Concepts Ltd). Did you decide what you wanted to do yet?
  • PRO
    hace 8 años

For a quick fix, I would paint the stucco and wood less contrasty colors. Right now the high contrast (grey and white) causes the exterior to look like it has too many different shapes jumbled together. So I would paint the wood and stucco colors that are fairly close together, or even the same color. This will help pull together all the elements. I would choose colors that look good next to the stone base, because it is a fixed element. Perhaps a tan color would like nice and modern.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.