Houzz Logo Print
emmelinewe

If you could name a colour, what would you call it?

hace 9 años
Don't you love how creative designers can get when they name a new colour/shade? Elephant's breath, Tangerine Tango, Death by Chocolate... the list is endless.

If you had the chance, which colour would you go for, and what would you call it?

Comentarios (53)

• hace 9 años
    Red - Spicy Salsa
    Orange - Autumn Fire/Apricot Sorbet
    Yellow - Honey Blonde
    Green - Morning Dew
    Blue - Frozen
    Purple - Pantomime
    Pink - French Fancy/Bacon
    Black - Night Vision
    Brown - Glastonbury
    White - Apple Blossom/Baby Powder
    Grey - Gandalf

I like this game
  • PRO
    hace 9 años
    Be great to buy a colour called 'Ticketyboo' !!
  • hace 9 años
    I'd be intrigued to see that bacon colour @lydichad!
  • hace 9 años
    Wood Sage (after my new favourite cologne) ;)
  • hace 9 años
    haha gandalf.
    there could be so many fun names. bubble gum(pink) parakeet (yellow) snow white (white)
  • hace 9 años
    Última modificación: hace 9 años
    Dirty Pink. ( to get rid of any sugary connotation.)

I am hoping there is a colour out there,already, called Parisian Pink. I am searching for this elusive colour.
  • PRO
    hace 9 años
    lydichad - my bathroom is painted in a colour called Salsa Red by Dulux - I love it! It's a 'true' red. The builders refurbishing the bathroom admitted they originally laughed when they heard what I wanted (+huge black tiles in smallish bathroom) but later were amazed how it came together and asked if they could take photos for their website ... so it definitely is spicy!
  • PRO
    hace 9 años
    I would love luscious pink - a deep but clear pink (with no black in it) I have been looking for this colour for ages after using a pink called 'Russian Red' which is a dark pink (with too much black). I also love the idea of 'egg yolk yellow', and simply 'orange orange' ... did you know the fruit was named after the colour? rather than the other way round.
  • hace 9 años
    I tried the salsa red on what will be our feature wall, it didn't work well sadly. Currently it resembles a murder scene, right above of our fireplace lol.
  • PRO
    hace 9 años
    Roy I think it also depends on how much you love a colour ... I love bright deep colours, in my house, in wardrobe etc. I love drama and contrast and the bathroom is somewhere that I don't spend hours so it can be bold. Not sure I would put it in my living room although I did lock myself in my bedroom when I was a teenager and painted my bedroom the equivalent of Salsa Red because my dad had said I couldn't. I loved it and lived with it happily for years. Here's the bathroom, I looove it so much and even after several years I just go in to admire it. It's not just the red, the tiles and very unusual bath, the fittings, the whole thing ... it feels like a piece of art (I know, I know how can someone get so excited about a bathroom but I take my thrills where I can get them ;-) ...
  • hace 9 años
    An antique sort of gold called Marauder's Map. A sage mossy green called Robin Hood
  • hace 9 años
    Colors that bring back holiday memories might work.

Relating to the colour of the soil, Amboseli red.

Relating to the colour of their clothes,
    Masai red.

Relating to the colour of the tree,
    Baobab silver.

Relating to a view from the air,
    St. Lucian green or Coral green.

Saharan yellow

Lava flow brown or black.
  • PRO
    hace 9 años
    Not too sure what to call it, maybe something that combines a dark blue with charcoal, Moonlight Charcoal perhaps :P its a beautiful colour and room though :)
  • hace 9 años
    My favourite colour is blue so it would have to be BLUE BLUE.
  • hace 9 años
    My Dad is a decorator - there's a paint called Elephant breath.
  • hace 9 años
    Nimble
  • hace 9 años
    Ketchup deluxe
  • hace 9 años
    Dreich--a shade close to BM Baltic Gray but more miserable and a wee bit darker
  • PRO
    hace 9 años
    Ginger Puff a warm colour for winter.
  • PRO
    hace 9 años
    Winter Willow
  • hace 9 años
    I used Farrow and Ball's Elephants Breath (muddy Grey) and Skimming Stone on my kitchen and it looked great!
  • hace 9 años
    Some great ideas.
    This reminds me of a Victoria Wood sketch where the old couple won a competition to think up new names for colours.
    I remember liver and bandage...which was grey!
  • PRO
    hace 8 años

I have already done this. A customer wanted the exact same colour on her walls as the kitchen cabinets that we had installed. We had the Decorators Merchants do a colourmatch on it andit turned out to be a unique coliur so it became known as 'P & P Maintenance Cream'

• hace 8 años
    I would go for a pinky Grey colour and call it Elise after my daughter whose bedroom is done in pink and Grey and I stil cant find the right colour mix
  • hace 8 años

Hubby says he would name his colour "Gary".

• PRO
    hace 8 años

[chookchook2[(https://www.houzz.co.uk/user/chookchook2) I love the idea of calling a colour Gary but what kind of colour would it be!? Not Gary Grey surely, doesn't sound fun enough.

• hace 8 años

Flannelette shirt blue.

• hace 8 años

@[chookchook2[(https://www.houzz.co.uk/user/chookchook2): one of my favourite colours! :)

• PRO
    hace 8 años

[chookchook2[(https://www.houzz.co.uk/user/chookchook2) that is such an exclusively Aussie colour, love it!! (No one else calls them flannelette shirts ;-) Living in London for many years it's funny the small things you miss.

• hace 8 años

Stella, you can come back home, Tony Abbott has granted you a pardon.

• hace 8 años
    If I ever stumble across that elusive blue I am looking for, I will call it "Serendipity."
    Question for all of you - what color do you think "Careless Whisper" would be?
  • PRO
    hace 8 años

[sootsprite[(https://www.houzz.co.uk/user/sootsprite) Careless Whisper would be a light slightly hazy blue (meaning a light, bright blue but with a touch of grey in the mix)

• hace 8 años

A careless whisper of scandal to someone's spouse could result in alot of gunmetal grey and blood red!

• PRO
    hace 8 años

I wish I named "Elephants breath" ;-)

• PRO
    hace 8 años

Someone's already done it for me, and it is in fact one of my favourite colours - 'Payne's Grey',

Jude Payne

• hace 8 años
    Tutu Pink - soft smokey pale pink
    Relaxed Red - chalky soft red
    Oyster Grit Grey - soft smokey grey
    Damson Dare - Deep Cerise
    Yummy Yellow - egg yolk
  • hace 8 años

White - Tarlatan

Scarlet - Wound

Green - Vent Vert

Light green - Apres l'Ondee

Dark blue - Byron

blue-grey - L'Heure Bleu

Purple - Martinique

Dark grey - Victoria

Light grey - Jicky

Off-white - Plumes

• hace 8 años

Gold - Smaug

Silver - Cymbeline

Dark grey - Pinter

Mauve - Sewell

Brown - Fitzrovia

Pink - Montparnasse

• PRO
    hace 8 años

what about something industrial for example red - beef :)

• hace 8 años

raw sausage,pink...fishfinger...orange, scrambled egg..pale yellow

• PRO
    hace 8 años

Luscious Lips - a rich deep pink/cerise

• hace 8 años
    Abracadabra - mixed colours
  • PRO
    hace 8 años
    Blister pink. A glass shade of pink
  • hace 8 años

This is certainly an idea for an ice breaker of party game!

Italian Sky...of course the colour would be a heart soaring shade of blue.

• hace 8 años

oh i so need a holiday under that blue blue sky

• PRO
    hace 8 años

trasimeno love it as an ice breaker game! Italian sky sounds gorgeous!

I suspect Rioja Red has already been done but still sounds delicious and would make a great colour.

• hace 8 años
    red - divine
  • PRO
    hace 8 años

Hello Emmeline,

Heliotrope would be a nice one... For a royal inky blue/purple... : ))

• hace 8 años

starless nightsky

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.