Houzz Logo Print
immunigirl

Should I stay or should I go? Said the rug

Naty Chaimowitz
hace 9 años
I just received my rug to go in the dinning room. Table and chairs have not arrived but they will be an espresso color. I really like the look and feel of the rug and feel it goes well with the walls and the hardwood, but not necessarily with the granite in the kitchen. My question is, does it have to? I don't really want to returner rug, but I can if necessary. And please ignore the mess, we are just in moving in. Thanks!

Comentarios (108)

• PRO
    River Valley Cabinet Works
    hace 9 años
    @Vintage Jazz- Is that a saxophone I hear every time you post?
    @immunigirl- How did Elvis Costello get mixed in here?
  • zazfuzzroc
    hace 9 años
    I believe Jazzy plays the ukulele actually. ;) If she did play sax, I'd never let her leave my dilemma. :) Really she's great so I'll take the ukulele playing too. :)
  • PRO
    hace 9 años
    Hmmmm...Jazz on a Uke....that...seems like it wouldn't work too well.
  • zazfuzzroc
    hace 9 años
    Hey, don't knock it till ya try it. lol ;)
  • Naty Chaimowitz
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    you guys make me smile :)
  • zazfuzzroc
    hace 9 años
    I'm honestly glad to hear that. :) Now, I'm smiling. Its been one of those days today. :)
  • PRO
    hace 9 años
    I'm more of a mandolin/dulcimer kind of guy, tending towards Bluegrass....can't say I've ever tried Jazz.
  • zazfuzzroc
    hace 9 años
    @River, Off topic, but it would depend on my mood and what I'm doing at the time. :) I do like jazz, but I like mostly all music. :)
  • Vintage...VJ Jazzy Jazz
    hace 9 años
    Última modificación: hace 9 años
    Hi ..
    Off topic ...chit chat .... Slapped wrist ..
    Apologies...

Blowing my own trumpet ...so tooooo speak

Did I hear my ukelele
    Being mentioned?
    I play piano also ..

Jazz sounds better on that !!!

@River valley ....No it's alarm bells ringing each time I post ...
    I must have tinnitus ...

BTW......
    It's not all cleaning windows stuff on the ukelele you know ...
    @Zaz.....One of my four sons plays sax .
    We are a mad ..but musical family ..
    Wouldn't have it any other way ..
  • Mildred Di Iorio
    hace 9 años
    I think decoenthusiaste left out the word minimum. You need a MINIMUM amount of space for you or your guests to walk around the others if they get up for seconds or some other reason. Imagine if your room were three times larger. You wouldn't want a table so big you couldn't hear conversation on the other side of the table.

Regarding the rug size, it's her opinion that it should be four feet longer and wider than the table WITHOUT running into the walls or the furniture on the walls. If your room were three times larger, a rug that size would help to define the space and make it more intimate. You don't have the space for a rug that size but you do have enough room for the chairs to scoot in and out. So really, you are good.
  • PRO
    Gary Cruz Studio
    hace 9 años
    I like a rug to extend 3' beyond the edge of a table on all sides. I think you should try to find a rug that's in the same color family as the walls - more warm beige. This rug will compete, not complement your new espresso color dining set. Good Luck!
  • Naty Chaimowitz
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    @diiorim, thanks for going through that. I really appreciate you taking the time. The analogy of having a room 3x the size was really helpful.

@Gary - thanks for your input. I looked at beige rugs and they didn't do it for me. The house is already so beige...the chairs are arriving this weekend. So we will see how it looks.

Jazz - I wish I were more musical. The only musical thing is me singing off key in the shower. Hehe we all have our talents :)
  • Naty Chaimowitz
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    The table is here and I am very happy with it. Not sure how I feel about how it fits with the kitchen - I tend to go for matchy-matchy, although I feel the color of the table highlights the black tones of the granite. The next thing I need to figure out if cuahions for the bench and chairs. Any suggestions on fabrics or colors? We like blues, and with the carpet, that's what I was thinking.
  • zazfuzzroc
    hace 9 años
    Hi, I see the rug is a good size. :) Are you going for patterned fabric? Or solid? I think the wood is fine. I like the mix. What scares me is when everything is the same. :)
    Naty Chaimowitz agradeció a zazfuzzroc
  • User
    hace 9 años
    Yay! I think it's fine that the wood isn't exactly the same and agree that your table looks pretty with the granite. I think I would choose beige/ivory cushions since the design of the rug is bold and your room has a contemporary feel to it. If anything, I think you need more chairs-3 on the opposite side of the bench and maybe 2 upholstered beige/ivory chairs at each end would be pretty and would soften the look of all the wood. Also, I think a contemporary mirror would look really nice behind the table and maybe think about lowering your chandelier to make it look more inviting. Love the rug with your table. Good luck!
  • User
    hace 9 años
    Some pictures of different chairs-mixing them up in a dining room.
  • Mildred Di Iorio
    hace 9 años
    I like to wait until I chose my curtains before I pick out the chair cushions. I like to find a sparcely used color in the fabric and use it as an accent color (Assuming you go with a pattern). Blue sounds wonderful. Two thumbs up on that color.
  • sandradclark
    hace 9 años
    Avoid matchy, matchy. Love the table set with the rug & it goes with your kitchen granite. I agree with Karen to lower the chandelier. I think a lighter color for the cushions would look best and I have to agree again with Karen to add two chairs, but not necessarily upholstered. One at each end with the 3 chairs across from the bench. I would like to see the fiberglass bucket chairs with chrome legs in a light color different from the cushion colors. You will have a great dining area for a group of about 7-8. What was the site where you bought the set? Maybe you could check there for the cushions and the bucket chairs.
  • PRO
    Interior Affairs -- Vickie Daeley
    hace 9 años
    I like the rug....and the floors...before I can say it is perfect I ouwl need to see the table and chairs. But it looks pretty good so far!
  • sandradclark
    hace 9 años
    I found the site where you bought your rug and they have a chair that would go great with your set (one at each end). They are called the Classic Parsons Chair and they have a fabric which would coordinate so well with your rug. On sale for 60.99 each and you could pick one of the lighter colors from the chairs for your cushions. Let me know if you would agree?
    Naty Chaimowitz agradeció a sandradclark
  • joshuahopkins
    hace 9 años
    I think it'll look fine as long as you put some grey decorations on the wall or maybe curtains.
  • Carol Singletary
    hace 9 años
    I love the look of the table with the rug as well. I was wondering if it would work better to switch the bench and chair so they are on opposite sides? And maybe one more chair for balance.

This room is really looking great, and I would love to sit down and eat at this table.
    Naty Chaimowitz agradeció a Carol Singletary
  • Lindsay Morris
    hace 9 años
    Send that rug to me!!
  • Mildred Di Iorio
    hace 9 años
    If you are going to custom make the cushions get some chairs you can upholster with a similar or complementary fabric to add at each end and have them make a complementary styled window treatment. Blues with tans and grey, either in a pattern or a separate solid color for each or a combination. Visit a fabric store and explore. Matching everything sounds safe especially when you are a beginner but bring home a yard or two of a couple or three daring fabrics and drape them around and you'll snap out of that soon enough.
  • Mildred Di Iorio
    hace 9 años
    I should add that when you decide to mix thing up you still need to focus on the colors and pattern coordinating. Like a good painting. So they don't have to be the same but they have to look good together and not get too busy. I started by buying things one at a time and living with them a little while before I made my next purchase. It takes practice.
  • Mildred Di Iorio
    hace 9 años
    Some examples for inspiration

Dallas Rugs used in Decor · Más información

Bergen Street Residence · Más información

Burlingame Residence Two · Más información

Cottage Chic · Más información

Kid Friendly & Fabulous · Más información

J Designs, Inc · Más información
    Naty Chaimowitz agradeció a Mildred Di Iorio
  • Naty Chaimowitz
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    I guess I should have mentioned that I ordered 4 chairs, but one came damaged, so it will be arriving on Tuesday. Thank you for all the comments. I wasn't sure what my style is - guess I am leaning towards contemporary :)

@Zaz - I was thinking pattern... or slide. I guess I am not sure. Either pattern in the cushions or curtains.

@Karen - The light is lowered compared to the initial picture. I will lower it as far as it goes and re-post. I love the idea of upholstered chairs, but my husband completely refused the idea. It was a stretch for him to agree to the table.

@Sandraclark - I like the classic parson chair. Which color were you thinking? $60.99 seems like a steal. Really need to talk to the hubby...

@Vicky - I just posted the table. See my previous post :)

@Carol - I totally agree with you about the extra chair - cant wait to get on tuesday. Come on over - but i must warn you I am not a good cook.

@Lindsay Landers - check out wayfair :)

Diiorim - Thank you for all the advice. I particularly liked the mix of patterns in the kid friendly and fabulous.
  • User
    hace 9 años
    Can't wait to see your finished dining room. Once it all comes together, it's going to be beautiful.
    Naty Chaimowitz agradeció a User
  • sandradclark
    hace 9 años
    Classic Parsons Chair in brown tan leaf for $60.99 each at Wayfair where you bought your rug. Will go perfectly.
  • PRO
    Niche Interiors
    hace 9 años
    It should stay! Looks great.
    Naty Chaimowitz agradeció a Niche Interiors
  • Naty Chaimowitz
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    @Sandraclark - I see those chairs. I think it will look great! Hubby is not loving it. So we will stick with the chairs we have for now.
  • zazfuzzroc
    hace 9 años
    Hi, they are pretty fabrics. I love swirls, that's bad to show me. I always gravitate to them. I am not an authority on mixing fabrics. From what I know, you usually mix big with small, rug being a big pattern. It's hard to tell color, it's different on my iPad than on the pc. I love the blue in the first one. :) I'm not sure. :)
  • User
    hace 9 años
    I agree with zaz. I find it difficult to mix patterns, especially since your chairs are siting directly on top of the rug which has a large bold pattern. I think you should pick something with a small pattern, so that it doesn't compete with the rug. I would want the rug to be the STAR! And, I do think you need to find a fabric with grays and beiges like the rug so that the cushions and rug are not competing.

Are your cushions going to be removable and just on the seat of the chair? And are the materials for the cushions available at West Elm where you purchased the table, bc you can probably order samples to try. Refer to the pics that diliorim posted. The patterned chair has the same colors as the rug. Will try to find some more pictures of what I'm talking about.
  • Naty Chaimowitz
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Thanks for the comments. I just need to keep searching... I attached the cushion available at west elm. I just don't like the look of it and unfortunately they don't have any other options ad the size of the bench is not standard.

And yeah, the cushions will be removable. Initially, I might just get a cushion for the bench, depending on the cost.

Suggestions on fabric would be great!

As for curtain, I was thinking solid ivory matchin the rug. But I will deal with that after the cushions.
  • zazfuzzroc
    hace 9 años
    I know this is not a dining room, but I was reminded of your room and wanted to show you patterns together. I think one of the fabrics you showed had circular shapes. Okay, look....
    La Salle Model in Twin Eagles | Naples, FL · Más información

I think these work well together and there is a more neutral curtain. :) Good luck! :)
  • zazfuzzroc
    hace 9 años
    I think if you stick to similar colors to your rug and maybe with the blue that you want added in the pattern , it will look nice. I think a smaller pattern for the cushions and your good. :)
  • Mildred Di Iorio
    hace 9 años
    Here's my two cents...

The swirls are my favorite too cause that's just my taste. However, the third pattern is a winner for me assuming its a small pattern. I feel it the best one to tie all the colors in. As Karen suggests, you don't want to compete with the rug.

Don't feel like all the chairs have to have the same pattern. Perhaps the end chairs can be solid or do solids and have the end chairs in the print. Pick the solid color from the pattern. Or, you can have solid on one side of the cushion and print on the other! See Burlingame Residence Two photo that I sent previously for inspiration.

I would also do solid color for the windows. I think, since you like the contemporary look, you should consider fabric blinds for the window. Somewhere I saw panels that had blinds sewn into them and they looked like roman shades when pulled up. Might have been Blinds.com. I've never bought anything from them but I heard they're very helpful over the phone and if you send pictures of the window and the room, they can help you see how different options look in the room before you place an order. If you use them, let me know if you thought they were helpful. .
  • Mildred Di Iorio
    hace 9 años
    Here's a sample I found on that site. they're called roman shades

http://www.blinds.com/control/product/productID,105873
  • zazfuzzroc
    hace 9 años
    How's that gorgeous dining room coming along? :)
  • Naty Chaimowitz
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Thanks for checking in. Not much has happened in the dining room - work got in the way. I am still trying to figure out the fabric for the cushion and also finding someone that can do it for an amount in the budget. I like the idea of having solids on one side and pattern on the other.

What do you think of this pattern?
    https://d2d00szk9na1qq.cloudfront.net/Product/d1d40b5d-6f32-4a1f-ace8-350b1dbff295/Images/Large_EU-109.jpg
  • zazfuzzroc
    hace 9 años
    Hi, I understand that. I like the pattern and colors, but how big is the pattern in comparison to your rug? :)
  • Naty Chaimowitz
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Base on the measurements online, the pattern is small. The whole thing in the picture could fit in one of the pattern sections of the rug, if that makes sense. I am going to order a swatch and see how it looks in the space. I will post pictures when I get it :)
  • zazfuzzroc
    hace 9 años
    Great idea getting a sample ...I think if it's on the smaller side in comparison to the rug, it will look good. You have good taste.... look at your kitchen and the start to your dining room is great. I'll be watching for pictures. Have a great day! :)
  • Naty Chaimowitz
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Hello. Hope everyone had a good thanksgiving. My sample for the fabric for the bench cushion came and I think I am going to go for it. The colors are not a perfect match, but I like it.

What do you think?
  • zazfuzzroc
    hace 9 años
    I like it. :) You seem happy...it sounds/types that way! lol :) If you like it, go for it!
    Naty Chaimowitz agradeció a zazfuzzroc
  • sandradclark
    hace 9 años
    I love the mix. Very good choice. Have you decided on chairs at the ends of the table. Or drapes yet.
    Naty Chaimowitz agradeció a sandradclark
  • Naty Chaimowitz
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Sandraclark, Thanks for your comment. For now, the chairs at the end are staying as is - without a cushion. I might add a cushion later or change them to an upholstered chair. My next project is drapes. Any suggestions?
  • sandradclark
    hace 9 años
    If you have an Ikea nearby or even not, check them online. Great selection of drapes. Different colors, styles. It's hard to tell online. Click to make the picture larger. I like to go with grommets, just below ceiling down to the floor. I like them as they have very long lengths available. I buy them longest, then hem to my length.
  • suezbell
    hace 8 años

Hope you kept the rug you like and invested in some rug grips.

http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mmLWCm7li90pY0nUXHCvEjw.jpg

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.