Houzz Logo Print
sope

Need help for my kitchen

sope
hace 9 años
última modificación:hace 9 años
I have hard wood floors in my kitchen that I want to remove and put in tiles as shown. Then I'm changing my countertop to Cambria (Rosslyn) - Quartz. For backsplash (black tile areas behind the stove), I am thinking of using this metallic bubbles idea in the attached picture. Do these combinations look right? [Sorry about the untidy countertops!]

Comentarios (18)

• apple_pie_order
    hace 9 años
    It sounds like there are three highly patterned surfaces you want to add. Usually, one highly patterned object acts as the star and the other surfaces are supporting actors. Which is your favorite of these three?
    sope agradeció a apple_pie_order
  • zazfuzzroc
    hace 9 años
    I'm not a pro, but I really like the backsplash tile and the counter combo. To me, the counter piece looks more sparkly and solid colored. Although sometimes hard to tell by a small piece. :) It would be great if you could take a picture with all the items together. It may give everyone a better feel for the room. Good luck! :)
    sope agradeció a zazfuzzroc
  • Conversaciones relacionadas

• PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    hace 9 años
    I like the counter top+backsplash with the hardwood left IN PLACE. The tile floor is going to compete with the back splash for attention. As much fun as I think that b/s will be, it probably won't pair well with the floor. As a counter top accent the b/s works well.

If you leave the floor in place (that reddish non-descript tone) will set the stage for a strong counter top+back splash combination. The tile is doesn't seem to "fit" anywhere. The counter top has a "round" presentation (round pearlized granules), the b/s has round bubbles of colour and then the tile has linear striations. The wood floor, even though it has a grain has a very uniform colour which appears to the eye as "solid". The tile will not have a "solid" colour to it. It will appear as stripes.

You are obviously drawn to the warm cinnamon colour (you are changing out the colour on the floor and putting it on the counter tops). Your current floor is the perfect back drop for the new counter top/back splash.

Your chosen tile is the PERFECT match to your countertop you already have. If you want to change the floor, then you already have the perfect counter top for the chosen floor.
    sope agradeció a Cancork Floor Inc.
  • PRO
    Titan AC
    hace 9 años
    We love the countertop but aren't sure how it will look with that tile and backsplash. It might be overwhelming. I agree with Cancork Floor Inc. that you should leave the hardwood.
    sope agradeció a Titan AC
  • User
    hace 9 años
    I love the countertop quartz you have chosen. Don't remove the hardwood floors! They are so pretty, and I'm assuming you have them in the rest of your house. I have the opposite-wood floors in the living area and tile in the kitchen and really want to change to wood in the kitchen. Having the same flooring throughout gives a more cohesive look.
    sope agradeció a User
  • PRO
    San Diego Master Craftsmen
    hace 9 años
    I agree with leaving the wood floors. It could be too much with the tile. Also, you could do the floor tile later after you see how the counter top and backsplash look.
    sope agradeció a San Diego Master Craftsmen
  • sope
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Thanks for the ideas and advice everyone! I am quite saddened though because I love my choice of floor tile so very much! I also have this vision of the tiles arranged in a pinwheel schema with scarlet 2x2 glass tiles inter-spaced like shown in this picture below. I was looking for a backsplash that would sort of compliment my floor and new Countertops, this is when I came across the metallic bubbles piece. I definitely want the new Quartz countertops too.
    The existing hardwood floor has a lot of scratches dents and water damage in areas.Looks like I might have to look for a different backsplash piece? How can I make things work and still get my tile floor and quartz countertop?
  • zazfuzzroc
    hace 9 años
    Última modificación: hace 9 años
    @Sope, in the picture that shows your countertop sample and floor sample together, I think the colors work well together. I like the plan you have for the floor. :) I also like your backsplash, but that's just me. :) I'm just not sure where the red glass fits in? I'm trying to picture that and I'm not sure how well it goes with the rest of the room? Have you seen this with the red glass before? I think possibly a copper colored glass tile would look cool. I do like red by the way. ;) Many people on the site don't like to mix it up as far as patterns go, but everyone is different and has different taste. If we were all the same with respect to taste, we'd be chasing only one man in the world. LOL :) Here's a kitchen that I like, very different textures going on. Good luck! :)
    Kitchens · Más información
    sope agradeció a zazfuzzroc
  • zazfuzzroc
    hace 9 años
    Última modificación: hace 9 años
    Another... like this too...
    Whole House Remodel · Más información
    Good luck!
  • Vintage...VJ Jazzy Jazz
    hace 9 años
    Come back Margo
  • feeny
    hace 9 años
    I'm going to make an assumption that you aren't planning on moving any time soon, yes? Because the materials you are choosing are very pink and very polka dotted. That is totally fine and fun, but not great for resale.
    sope agradeció a feeny
  • sope
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    @zazfuzzroc, Actually, I haven't seen it with the red glass tiles before, I just wanted some bright highlights on my kitchen floor. I like your suggestion of copper colored glass instead of the red. I'll go in search of that tomorrow. Working with the advice from Cancork Floor Inc. about not mixing linear striations with round patterns, I'll look for a different backsplash with linear formations instead of the bubbles. The Kitchen contractors came in today to take measurements and templates for the Quartz countertop :-) It's kind of starting already!
    @ Feeny, no I don't plan on moving soon, but I'll not want to do things that will make it near impossible to sell if ever we choose to! So as much as I liked the bubbles backsplash, I'll have to discard that idea for now.
  • zazfuzzroc
    hace 9 años
    @sope, :( Awh man, I really liked the bubbles. :) I actually found one like that in stone. I will use it somewhere one day. :) Maybe you can go with your red glass. It might look nice, don't knock it till ya try it. Bring home samples. :) I'm having the same decision issues. It's not easy. Everyone has different opinions, so when you get them all at once, it's hard. Good luck and keep us posted. You have a nice room, that I think will turn out well. :)
  • zazfuzzroc
    hace 9 años
    Hi Sope, did you make your decision? :) Just wondering. :) If not, its okay..... have a terrific holiday and new year. :)
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    hace 9 años
    The tile pic you show is a dated look. No one use 12x12 or smaller tile on floors. A big 18" or even 24" would give you a updated look. I would not do the diamond effect either. Your backsplash is fun. But you might tire of it quickly. It looks like it's made for a bathroom. I like your kitchen as is. I would add pop of color around. And declutter. That would help a lot.
  • sope
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Hello friends!
    I can't believe it's been over a year since I started working on these ideas! My kitchen tile floors have been installed (had to take out the hard wood, it was water damaged in certain areas) since then and no, I did not use the red accent tiles. The red just didn't fit in after all. See picture attached.
    My Quartz counter top (sample pix attached) is going to be installed Within the next 2-3 weeks. They are fabricating as I type. I also will be installing the Blanco sil-granite sink in truffle color (Instead of a stainless steel sink).
    I am still thinking of going with my Bubbles metal & glass tile for backsplash. But now I am not sure what to use as end trims for the backsplash tiles. What will be the best finishing at the outer edges of the bubbles on the wall, considering that the edges of these bubble tiles are not uniform? Thank you for your suggestions.
    [Picture of countertop quartz sample, bubbles tile sample and my kitchen backsplash area attached].
  • zazfuzzroc
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

Hi! :) Floor looks great! :)

I think this metal edge ⤴ would work well for your backsplash tiles. Good luck! :)

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.