Houzz Logo Print
e11ie

Best colour for cinema room

Luciana
hace 9 años
última modificación:hace 9 años
Hey all!

I decided to put my foot down and do something about our cinema room. Intended to be a man-cave, my hubby used it about 3 times (thanks to some Christmas blu-ray gifts) and, despite my nagging, left it as it was. Is still white, has wires dangling, projector not suspended... (yes, I know, such a hard life...)

As I said, I'm going to take over and do it myself, starting with burying some wires and painting the room.
What shade do you think would be good for it? I thought grey - Dulux Urban Obsessions http://www.dulux.co.uk/shop/colours/neutrals/ or Wishing Well http://www.dulux.co.uk/colours/collections/timeless-classics. Also, should I go for a black on the wall with the screen or do it in grey too?

What do you think?

Comentarios (14)

• Luciana
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    @Southpoint - excellent tips, thank you!

I actually went out and bought some sample pots; being a basement room with no natural light, I realised I should probably go a shade lighter than my examples above. Hubby felt guilty when I told him I'll do it myself and called a painter-decorator, so I have until next Thursday to decide.

You are right about the floor - it's actually white tile and that rug was 'surplus stock', meaning I couldn't find a place for it in this new house and just dumped there (actually almost everything in there is just old stuff we weren't ready to throw out). I have to buy a new rug (I thought some red-burgundy would work) but only after the walls are done.

About the décor - that will change slightly too. We have a few more posters (mainly jazz though, not film) ready to go up. Great idea about the dimmer switch, although I have this arc lamp in the kitchen that's almost never used - I thought I could move it downstairs.

I'll go play with the sample pots now and post a pic when I'm done.

Thanks again for your help, Southpoint!

PS: I did play with the Dulux app earlier and tried different shades; see below the results.
  • PRO
    Southpoint
    hace 9 años
    Looks so much better already in those pics, Luciana. I like the idea of a red/burgundy rug (especially if you have more red posters). Perhaps get a bigger one to cover more of the floor.
    Luciana agradeció a Southpoint
  • PRO
    Daniel Polished Concrete
    hace 9 años
    Don't paint Polished Plaster is the way forward! http://www danielpolishedplaster.com
    Luciana agradeció a Daniel Polished Concrete
  • Luciana
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Última modificación: hace 9 años
    Well, I've done the testing and it's not what it says on the tin. Deep fossil is too dark, I was so sure it will be a winner. I had the Chiltern grey, that's the colour we used for the raised beds in the garden. I quite like it; hubby and sis say is too light. same with frosted steel.
    So unless I go out and buy more testers, it looks like Chic Shadow is the winner... I can't say I dislike it, I'm just afraid it's too dark.

What's your vote, please?
  • PRO
    Southpoint
    hace 9 años
    Did you use the whole pot, Luciana? They're all going to look more intense as a small area against white. I don't think Chic Shadow will necessarily be too dark.
    Luciana agradeció a Southpoint
  • Luciana
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Jerry (Southpoint), you are right - the more I look at it, the more I like it. And as it has hubby's approval... hurray! Chic Shadow it is!! (and he says I'm high maintenance and can't make up my mind.... we proved him wrong (today) ... :))

Jerry, again my gratitude for your help. I'd probably shop for a rug - if I buy it large, it needs to be rather thin, because of the underfloor heating. I just need a project... I honestly wouldn't have minded painting the room myself; my spouse kept blabbing about the finish and me splattering everywhere... now that the painter is booked, I'll have to abstain from playing with paint for a while. I guess I'll post the finished room at the end of next week.

Many thanks again!
  • Luciana
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Jerry, you were right.... Chic Shadow is too light. It's too late now, the decorator's finished and I regret leaving the chimney breast white, I should've had that painted too (maybe I'll do it myself one of these days).

Oh well, it's not too bad for a barely used room :)) I managed to put some stuff back today; although I still need to hammer the prints and buy the rug.
    I got rid of most of the wires by creating a false wall behind the projector and running most cables behind it; I had a sheet of melamine left from another job and just cut it to size and fixed it (hubby was impressed :)) Also, I hung the mount alone, it was a bit of a struggle to find the joist and avoid the wires, but luckily I kept the photos from when it was built and used it to "guess" its position.

This is it, I still haven't decided on a rug, but I'll probably do it this week. See below: construction photo, mid painting and final!

Thanks again for your help, Ellie
  • Luciana
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Looking at the photos just now made me think that maybe I should paint the skirting board black. And the door...?
  • PRO
    Southpoint
    hace 9 años
    It looks pretty good to me. Luciana. I would be tempted to paint the skirting board the same colour as the walls in a matt or satin finish woodwork paint. Possibly the same for the door and let the rug tie the whole room together. I am also impressed by your building skills! I hope you enjoy using the room.
  • PRO
    LD ceilings
    hace 9 años
    I guess it's to late to suggest a starlight ceiling.
  • Luciana
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Jerry, thank you! And you shouldn't be impressed by just my building skills when everything I do is impressive :))

Grey is a great suggestion! Last evening, being bored (again) I painted the skirting behind the door in black - it looked awful. After reading your comment, I ran to the basement and used some grey undercoat we had left from painting the gate - it looks super!! Apart from me being over enthusiastic and covering half the wall in it, as well. But I'll rectify that tomorrow and show DH after - otherwise he's going to hire someone else for a simple thing like that.

Many thanks again and all the best!!
  • Luciana
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Whoops, I forgot the photos.... I'm becoming like one of those bloggers who can't write a word without posting a pic - actually, I think I already am like that... oh well...
  • Luciana
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Lancashire design Ceilings - it's not too late, but I don't think it's going to happen. It was supposed to be my husband's man-cave and have a star-y ceiling... but as he barely step foot in it, I doubt he'll be interested in doing it now. Thanks for the suggestion anyway :))
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.