Houzz Logo Print
jsowards

How to make this weird space work?

jsowards
hace 9 años
We just bought a house and it's wonderful everywhere except the main family room space. It's open concept with the kitchen. I would like a smaller TV with perhaps a fireplace below, but my husband is determined to have his huge TV above the mantel and just figure out something below. I'm freaking out (to myself) knowing that this will look ridiculous. How do I solve this design delimma, and please my husband as well?

Thank you in advance,
Joyce Sowards

Comentarios (7)

• oldstones
    hace 9 años
    I think a big TV above the mantel is going to give everyone a crick in the neck! To further your argument check on recommended heights for the TV in relation to the seating area. A new built-in to the left for TV and display shelves could then tie in to the new lower part of the fireplace!
  • Carolina
    hace 9 años
    Men! You have the ideal wall next to the fireplace for a huge TV and it won't give you an aching neck because it will be too high up if you put it above the fireplace. And apparently the rising heat from a fireplace shortens the life of a TV.
  • PRO
    The Sound Vision
    hace 9 años
    Mount a TV inside the space on an articulating mount. It has a scissor style arm that would let a TV larger than the opening float in space. The TV can then be pressed flush against the opening as to not project too far into the space.

Not sure how to post images from our Houzz profile but you can find several examples on out page.
  • PRO
    Thos. Baker
    hace 9 años
    Última modificación: hace 9 años
    The wall to the left of the fireplace is a perfect location for a television on a beautiful console table. I would never mount a television on a wall, especially high up. It's too hard on the eyes and the neck, except for the person who's in the Lazy Boy Chair on full back tilt.

Is there another room in the house that could serve as a man cave? A place where your husband can set up his television and create a whole space the way he likes and you can save your family room?

Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
  • PRO
    M J Draperies and Interiors
    hace 9 años
    Definitely place a bigger size TV on your left wall. By using your left wall will give you more options arranging your sofas where you comfortable can watch TV, and nice balance for the rest of the room :) By just looking at the size of that space I'll say maybe a 60"-65" TV?
  • potchiemagoodleberry
    hace 9 años
    I wish you had posted more views. congrats on your new home!! at first glance, I think the lighting fixtures look dated....I'd begin by changing out the chandeliers (the pendants can still work) and remember that fixtures with concealed bulbs look more stylish, but also consider converting any hanging fixtures that aren't centered over a dining table or the island into pot lights, for a cleaner look. if hubby wants his monster tv let him or you'll never hear the end of it. I've been there, lol. i'd mount it directly onto the wall to the left of the FP and hang a beautiful piece of art over the mantle, and be sure to snake all wiring through the wall or it will become a distraction. then, place a long and low oriented solid piece of furniture below the tv to ground it and create a nice balance that non-solid furniture pieces can't bring to your space....you can place your cable and dvd player on or in it. keep us posted! and show us more pic! :)
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.